or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition****** - Page 140

post #2086 of 3039
Are you a dinner stage? Mid-afternoon til midnight or so?

I will tell you this: On your very first day, when service is over, they are going to offer you to go home or to stay and help clean up. This is not really an offer. It is a test. Stay as late as the rest of the cooks do.
post #2087 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

Holy wine markups! that Markham merlot that they pour for $15 is my house merlot..... confused.gif Pretty nice list, though. Markups are weird, though. some are very low and some are ridiculously high.
Case in point:
810 – Domaine Marquis d’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru 2008 – Burgundy, France – 120
803 – Napa Cellars Pinot Noir 2009 – Napa Valley, USA – 52

I haven't looked at that list, but Manton and I chatted about the list at Per Se again this week. And once again I thought I found a fairly good value, a grand cru Chablis that, while being a "no name" producer, was around $130 a bottle. But once again, I was foiled by the "half bottle" side of the list ffffuuuu.gif
post #2088 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

Are you a dinner stage? Mid-afternoon til midnight or so?
I will tell you this: On your very first day, when service is over, they are going to offer you to go home or to stay and help clean up. This is not really an offer. It is a test. Stay as late as the rest of the cooks do.

I believe that's what I signed up for. I'm actually not sure when he wants me there. I will know for certain Sunday.
post #2089 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

MGM, I took a look at their menu, and I'd like to write your prep list for the first three days, so you can have a game plan heading into work:
Cutting onions and fennel for the chowder
Cleaning mesclun greens and endive for salads
Getting the pomegranate seeds out of pomegranate
Cutting mushrooms for the risotto
Cleaning spinach for squash rav
Cutting veg for cioppino
Breaking down brussell sprouts
Cutting parsnips for puree
Cutting potatoes for puree
Cutting veg for duck hash
Cutting potatoes for chips
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif welcome to your first stage. Try not to cut yourself.

You probably already know how to do this, but I find it the most effective and quick way to accomplish the task:
post #2090 of 3039
I knew that. Learned it the hard way at Cyrus. After making three beautiful, crisp chef whites into violet-stained messes. I actually think it's a lot easier if you have a large bucket that you can completely put your hand into, that way when the juice splatters it only splatters on the side of the bucket.
post #2091 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

MGM, I took a look at their menu, and I'd like to write your prep list for the first three days, so you can have a game plan heading into work:
Cutting onions and fennel for the chowder
Cleaning mesclun greens and endive for salads
Getting the pomegranate seeds out of pomegranate
Cutting mushrooms for the risotto
Cleaning spinach for squash rav
Cutting veg for cioppino
Breaking down brussell sprouts
Cutting parsnips for puree
Cutting potatoes for puree
Cutting veg for duck hash
Cutting potatoes for chips
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif welcome to your first stage. Try not to cut yourself.

What about tying vegetables in chives?
post #2092 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

I knew that. Learned it the hard way at Cyrus. After making three beautiful, crisp chef whites into violet-stained messes. I actually think it's a lot easier if you have a large bucket that you can completely put your hand into, that way when the juice splatters it only splatters on the side of the bucket.

Would it be a bad idea for me to bring my Nenox on the first day? Not sure what kind of knife Chef uses yet. Could be awkward.
post #2093 of 3039
Bring your Shun. Make it sharp.
post #2094 of 3039
Western style Japanese knives add too much salt to the food. You should go outfit yourself at Korin with Usuba, Deba, Yanagi, and Kiritsuke. That should get you through day 1 at least.
post #2095 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Bring your Shun. Make it sharp.

That's what I was thinking.
post #2096 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

Would it be a bad idea for me to bring my Nenox on the first day? Not sure what kind of knife Chef uses yet. Could be awkward.

Do not bring your Nenox.

I don't want you to take any personal offense to this because none is meant, but I also want to be honest: you don't want to look like a rich kid on a working vacation.
post #2097 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

Do not bring your Nenox.
I don't want you to take any personal offense to this because none is meant, but I also want to be honest: you don't want to look like a rich kid on a working vacation.

That's what I was thinking.
post #2098 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 View Post

I just spent an hour thumbing through the two volume "Notes from a Kitchen". I wasn't sure whether to put it in the 'happy' or 'pissed off' column, but really what's not to like about a beautiful book and chefs talking about their love of food. Well, ok, it pretty much triggered my "hipster fed up with hipsters" reflex which automatically takes me out of the moment but that happens every few hours for me anyways.

I happen to know the author. Good guy.
post #2099 of 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJT View Post

You probably already know how to do this, but I find it the most effective and quick way to accomplish the task:

there's another technique that works really well, too. Clean them in a bowl of water. the pith floats, the seeds sink. and no juice on your clothes.
post #2100 of 3039
I don't Yelp. I don't post on Yelp, I don't use Yelp to help me pick a new place, I never read Yelp unless I get directed there by someone I know.

I was directed to a fresh review by the owner of one of my favorite places about his place. It was a bad review. In part:
Quote:
The food was not as good as expected... They brought out a complimentary starter that consisted of pulled pork that was cooked in its own fat. Very heavy on the fat.

Needless to say, that was a nice little mason jar of pork rillettes.

facepalm.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******