or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pocket squares - do you wear them to work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pocket squares - do you wear them to work? - Page 2

post #16 of 59
I skip the pocket square at work, on the rare occasions I'm wearing a jacket.
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Yes. Gets compliments from the students. Also wear them without the tie at times. don't know how frowned upon this is on SF, but it feels dressier on those days wher i just don't or can't wear a tie.
Professor, do you concur with lawyer dad on the matter of folding? You know how oppressive the sartorial pusillanimity of the academy can be.
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc237
Only on those days I wear a sports coat, blazer, or suit.

Ditto. Occasionally I will pass if I'm wearing a tie. In the summer, I usually skip the tie and just wear the square.

They get positive compliments nearly every time.
post #19 of 59
removed
post #20 of 59
I always wear a pocket square and find it the signature of a well thought out outfit. For me, it is sometimes fun to add an unusually bright and decorative square in the top breast pocket of the appropriate outerwear jacket or topcoat. Lately, I've aquired some terrific bandana type squares that have evoked a casual theme to some of my dressier streetwear.
Although I have a vast selection of squares, in the summer I feel most comfortable with my white linen collection of varying patterns and borders.
I shudder when I see a man who has used the pocket for his eyeglasses, bic pen or cigarettes.

Gary
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Yes. Gets compliments from the students. Also wear them without the tie at times. don't know how frowned upon this is on SF, but it feels dressier on those days wher i just don't or can't wear a tie.

Design Professor is right. Men can wear pocket squares with a sportcoat and jeans on the weekend with no tie. You can wear it with a linen suit with a tie or without a tie. They are always a nice extra touch to add whether formal, daywear, or casual wear.
post #22 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Yes. Gets compliments from the students. Also wear them without the tie at times. don't know how frowned upon this is on SF, but it feels dressier on those days wher i just don't or can't wear a tie.

I always wear a coat when I teach but have not been able to bring myself to wear a pocket square in the classroom yet. Already, I am one of the only professors on campus who wears a coat and tie to class. If I wear a blazer, I am asked whether I have a job interview somewhere else. Perhaps I should start slow with linen tv fold; a silk puff would get me weird looks for sure - mainly from colleagues. When (if) I get tenure though...
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL72
I always wear a coat when I teach but have not been able to bring myself to wear a pocket square in the classroom yet. Already, I am one of the only professors on campus who wears a coat and tie to class. If I wear a blazer, I am asked whether I have a job interview somewhere else. Perhaps I should start slow with linen tv fold; a silk puff would get me weird looks for sure - mainly from colleagues. When (if) I get tenure though...
Ahh, tenure -- when we can finally fly the jolly roger!
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
No, the question was "do you wear them to work?" I no longer have to work weekends and holidays, thank God.

You are a fortunate man, indeed.
post #25 of 59
I wear whenever I have a suit on (church, work, etc). I work in a very conservative place, but I am one of the few to wear a suit, and the only one to wear a suit (or sometimes a bowtie for that matter). It makes you stand out, but I receive many compliments on my pocket squares.
post #26 of 59
They are appropriate for interviews.

Any kind of company that discriminates based on a handkerchief is not a company to work for. Unless you want to quietly embezzle from them.
post #27 of 59
No I don't wear a jacket to work
But I do wear one to school
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tancredi
Professor, do you concur with lawyer dad on the matter of folding? You know how oppressive the sartorial pusillanimity of the academy can be.

I do agree with lawyerdad. For my situation at the university, please bear in mind; I teach art /design students mostly, you're not going to
shock this crowd. I can get away with stuff most here would probably find unusable, because i lecture to a room full of tattoos, peircings, spiked hair, and dirty jeans.


Some of the other posters might have pointers here as well. I weare the suits, ties, and psquares even though most of my colleagues don't. As far as waiting for tenure -only if there is some kind of unwritten tradition you might jeopardize.
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy
If I'm wearing a coat(sport or suit), I'm wearing a pocket square.

Ditto.

White linen for suits.

Patterned silk or linen for odd jackets.
post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
Ditto.

White linen for suits.

Patterned silk or linen for odd jackets.

Are you suggesting this as a copper-fastened rule? If so, that's just plain silly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pocket squares - do you wear them to work?