• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying First/Business Class on your own dime

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone really do it?

It's one thing if someone else (company, presenter, etc.) is paying for it or you're using reward mileage. But even if I were extremely wealthy I'd have a hard time paying 3-5+ times as much as economy for business class, and 8-10+ times for first class for international flights.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know tall people who pay the extra amount to fly business class because they need the room on long flights.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I know tall people who pay the extra amount to fly business class because they need the room on long flights.

Yeah I've been tempted to do that many times on long hauls. I'm 6'2" and it totally sucks. Especially on British Airways which has the worst leg room out of any carrier I've been on. Still, I just suck it up.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, Lufthansa has the worst coach leg clearance and Singapore Airlines has the best. I was cursing out Lufthansa at 5'6". I can't even imagine what someone over 6 feet would do in their cattle cars.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if I get to a point where $8-15k becomes a relatively miniscule proportion of my income, then sure. at some point my comfort will be worth more to me than that amount

I have flown on a 24 hour-plus itinerary in coach quite a few times, so I know I can deal with it. it's not pleasant, though

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
In my experience, Lufthansa has the worst coach leg clearance and Singapore Airlines has the best. I was cursing out Lufthansa at 5'6". I can't even imagine what someone over 6 feet would do in their cattle cars.

Lufthansa is also one of the few airlines that are not bankrupt, coincidence?
Seriously, though, never thought Lufthansa had especially stingy leg room.
I think it can depend on where exactly you are sitting on the plane. when they install the seats, sometimes they try to squeeze in another seat just before the end/wall of a section, and if you're doubly-lucky, you get that seat and won't be able to adjust the back either.
If you need more leg room, try reserving an exit seat.

flying charter, that's where the fun is, your knees will touch the seat in front of you for the entire flight...

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My old boss and I flew to Comdex on a charter airline. He was popping a boner the whole way to the airport in Toronto because he'd loaded up a few movies onto his laptop to watch (this was 10 years ago).

The look on his face when he sat down in his seat, lowered the seatback tray and then realized he couldn't lift his laptop screen beyond about 60 degrees (in other words, not enough for viewing) was priceles...

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does paying full fare and using upgrades count? I did it for my parents.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Check out Seat Guru for seat measurements.
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Luf...nformation.php

I'll sometimes buy first class to Hawaii as a vacation splurge. It usually costs about 2.5 times economy.
Usually I'm using miles or an Alaska Air companion fare ticket though.
One time I paid the upgrade fee on a Hawaiian Air flight SEA->HNL. There was a snowstorm that day and we ended up sitting on the plane for over 5 hours before we took off for our 5 hour flights.
That updgrade fee was money well spent.

I wouldn't pay for international first though.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First for domestic is often not too bad. Sometimes paying not-the-cheapest-coach-fare is also within limits when using miles to upgrade for international flights.

nerazzurrri

Reaction score
fuck_you_im_an_anteater.jpg

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Ive built up a lot of points with my travels, I use that to upgrade myself pretty often.

Ive only forked out for business once, and that was when a promo fare on one airline business was the same as coach on another, so I thought what the hell, and sat up front.

makker

Reaction score
I sit back in my private jet and bring my own classy entourage without needing to stand all the fannypackers and foul-smelling passengers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads