or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tailoring question - aligning pinstripes on pockets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tailoring question - aligning pinstripes on pockets

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Can a tailor fix pockets on a pinstripe suit which don't perfectly align with the stripes on the body of the jacket?
post #2 of 8
Not without getting hold of some extra cloth somewhere, I would think. If there's some cloth left after finishing the trousers, I suppose the cut-offs could be used to make new flaps. (I assume this is a RTW suit where the trousers need finishing. Non-aligned stripes shouldn't happen in MTM or bespoke.)
post #3 of 8
The stripe on the flap should align with the stripes below the pocket on the body of the jacket but will not always align with the stripes above the pocket because of the dart.
post #4 of 8
Seems like you going to have to buy another pinstripe suit from a more careful maker.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
Can a tailor fix pockets on a pinstripe suit which don't perfectly align with the stripes on the body of the jacket?


Not really - if the thing is cut wrong then wrong it will always be. There certainly would not be enough material in the flap to move it.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post
The stripe on the flap should align with the stripes below the pocket on the body of the jacket but will not always align with the stripes above the pocket because of the dart.

i know im reviving this, but rather than make a new thread...



how about my coat i got here...



the bottom of the jacket aligns with the flap but not with the body above it.

the ticket flap though is totally misaligned. can this be an exception or is this an anomaly?
post #7 of 8
See how the spacing of the front dart is uneven to the stripe width in the cloth? That is what throws the pattern match off. If the dart was cut so the stripe spacing was uniform, then the stripe would match. Not worth the effort or cost to change now, even if it was possible.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post
See how the spacing of the front dart is uneven to the stripe width in the cloth? That is what throws the pattern match off. If the dart was cut so the stripe spacing was uniform, then the stripe would match. Not worth the effort or cost to change now, even if it was possible.

Despos, i see that, but in your professional opinion, is this acceptable (are darts that dont come closed all the way to continue parallel spacing a style consideration or flaw)? is the visual continuity of pinstriping supposed to be strict or can it have some looseness/flexibility and still maintain its formality and properness?
thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tailoring question - aligning pinstripes on pockets