or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Uninspiring clothes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uninspiring clothes?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
It looks as if most of you are not having any problems finding things you like but for me it seems as though it is becoming increasingly more difficult. I find myself considering clothes I don't like because I'm being conditioned to seeing so much mediocrity that isn't what I'm looking for. Am I alone?
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET
It looks as if most of you are not having any problems finding things you like but for me it seems as though it is becoming increasingly more difficult. I find myself considering clothes I don't like because I'm being conditioned to seeing so much mediocrity that isn't what I'm looking for. Am I alone?

Maybe you are being conditioned, or maybe you are not shopping in the right places. I find that some boutiques have consistently interesting things. Alan Bilzerian, for example, carries some amazing stuff, imo. The Krone's + Kin jacket I got there just a week or so ago is pretty cool, for example. As well as the inserts I mentioned elsewhere, the shoulder and neckline construction is pretty amazing. And I just got a sample from the upcoming Engineered Garments line - a henley with inside chest pockets. On just a packet pocket, one a buttoned pocket so that the button shows on the outside. Super long cuffs. Of course, it helps that it is dyed an incredibly deep chestnut/chocolate color by Jay Allen - a one of a kind piece. Okay, so you can't actually buy that, but there are plenty on interesting pieces out there if you are willing to look.
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
I've yet to check out all the little shops and such in LA because I'm very doubtful I'll find anything. I need to make a list of all the stores and make time but this heat is just so consuming. Went to check out rb1s at barneys and they had none. I'll have to make my way to robertson and melrose etc.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET
I've yet to check out all the little shops and such in LA because I'm very doubtful I'll find anything. I need to make a list of all the stores and make time but this heat is just so consuming. Went to check out rb1s at barneys and they had none. I'll have to make my way to robertson and melrose etc.

First of all, you are unlikely to find really inspired clothing at Barneys. You'll get plenty of wearable clothes, and some cool pieces, but if you are looking to be inspired, go elsewhere? What are you looking for? If you want casual designer, go to Ron Herman. Rock star? Maxfield. Maxfield Bleu is you want Rockstar+bizarre leftovers (some of which can be very cool). Traffic in the Beverly Center is always good too for the same type of thing, and their collections are more tightly edited. There are *lots* of good stores in LA.
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
First of all, you are unlikely to find really inspired clothing at Barneys. You'll get plenty of wearable clothes, and some cool pieces, but if you are looking to be inspired, go elsewhere? What are you looking for? If you want casual designer, go to Ron Herman. Rock star? Maxfield. Maxfield Bleu is you want Rockstar+bizarre leftovers (some of which can be very cool). Traffic in the Beverly Center is always good too for the same type of thing, and their collections are more tightly edited. There are *lots* of good stores in LA.

Hopefully I can pick up some nice pieces this weekend. I haven't been to traffic in a couple of months so I'll give that another shot along with the others. I know the options are there, just wanted to see if I was the only one and I guess I was
post #6 of 28
maxfields was closed when i tried to go there sighhh
post #7 of 28
i am endlessly faced with that same "gahhhh." sort of uninspired feeling when i go into a store or boutique and all i see are endless rows of graphic tees. i really don't like that style very much. also, i'm in South Korea right now where virtually every young person dresses in an identical, flashy fashion. there is literally only one Korean clothing company in which i can find some things which i like. it's called Codes Combine and even still, many of their items aren't my style or are too deconstructed for my liking.
post #8 of 28
yeah fashion in s. korea is pretty boring. i didn't buy a thing when i was there for a month... well, A LOT of food.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Rock star? Maxfield. Maxfield Bleu is you want Rockstar+bizarre leftovers (some of which can be very cool). Traffic in the Beverly Center is always good too for the same type of thing, and their collections are more tightly edited. There are *lots* of good stores in LA.

I think mine & yours definition of Rockstar are probably completely differnent. I know alot of students at my Uni who are Mods who believe there "Rockstar" but aren't.

Also, what does Jet consider to be uninspiring clothes?, What is the alternative?...
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkBack42Clicks
I think mine & yours definition of Rockstar are probably completely differnent. I know alot of students at my Uni who are Mods who believe there "Rockstar" but aren't.

Also, what does Jet consider to be uninspiring clothes?, What is the alternative?...

Just as examples, I consider Dave Navarro and the entire Velvet Revolver crew as rockstar.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Just as examples, I consider Dave Navarro and the entire Velvet Revolver crew as rockstar.

You like it the Guns & Roses survivors?
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Just as examples, I consider Dave Navarro and the entire Velvet Revolver crew as rockstar.

Right up my street. But do you/would you dress like them???... That is the question. Slash is certainly one of my all time style icons.




post #13 of 28
Thats special
post #14 of 28
The rockstar look does not look good unless you actually are one. Even in that case, it still doesn't but you will be surrounded by too many groupies to care.
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkBack42Clicks
I think mine & yours definition of Rockstar are probably completely differnent. I know alot of students at my Uni who are Mods who believe there "Rockstar" but aren't.

Also, what does Jet consider to be uninspiring clothes?, What is the alternative?...

I mean all the clothes that I've been seeing are plain, boring, characterless, lacking any flava etc. I'm sure it's because I haven't seen all there is to see so I'm hitting all the stores tomorrow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Uninspiring clothes?