• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo recommendation

Dan9019

Reaction score
Hey,

Anyone have a recommendation for polo shirts that have a similar fit to RL slim fit polos but don't have an uneven hem (tennis tail) for around the same price point of $75-100? I like everything about the RL slim fits except that stupid tail. Also, not having a logo would be a plus.

Thanks

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some good luck with JCrew polos. They have a tail, but its nowhere near as long as the RL Polos. Relatively slim fit, cheap, no logo.

Dan9019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
I've had some good luck with JCrew polos. They have a tail, but its nowhere near as long as the RL Polos. Relatively slim fit, cheap, no logo.

Thanks

Originally Posted by nightmair
It's called a tennis tail, and most have it.

Corrected

Mata_Leao

Reaction score
The fabrics aren't particularly high quality, but you can pick up Macy's "Tasso Elba" house brand polos for around thirty bucks. The "Tailor Fit" Tasso Elbas are very slim and have no tail.

Edit: Forgot to mention they also have no visible logo, to my knowledge.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered Fred Perry, Ben Sherman or Lacoste?

Not sure if you can avoid a logo though.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLBL's are nice and don't have a logo. They fit really similar to the PRL custom fit but have much better fabric. They also don't have a tail.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second J Crew. I think they have a small tail, but no logo and pretty slim. They may even make an extra slim version. If the tails bug you, have a tailor re-hem the back. A bit obsessive, perhaps, but nothing out the the SF norm.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I second J Crew. I think they have a small tail, but no logo and pretty slim. They may even make an extra slim version. If the tails bug you, have a tailor re-hem the back. A bit obsessive, perhaps, but nothing out the the SF norm.
Out of curiosity, what do J Crew and RL polos sell for in the US?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew about $40 full retail. Can usually be had for half that on sale. RL, I'm not sure, probably the same, but also can be found on sale quite often.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew about $40 full retail. Can usually be had for half that on sale. RL, I'm not sure, probably the same, but also can be found on sale quite often.
Wow. Much less than I thought. Good to know, thanks.

brazboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan9019
Hey,

Anyone have a recommendation for polo shirts that have a similar fit to RL slim fit polos but don't have an uneven hem (tennis tail) for around the same price point of $75-100? I like everything about the RL slim fits except that stupid tail. Also, not having a logo would be a plus.

Thanks

Just get the tail hemmed. I did it with all my RL polos, works fine.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Wow. Much less than I thought. Good to know, thanks.

Polo Ralph Lauren start at $75 and go up. They're not as often available on sale.

sartorial_marxist

Reaction score
BB's quality beats all

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Polo Ralph Lauren start at $75 and go up. They're not as often available on sale.

OK. I've never bought one at retail, and I only own one that I got at an outlet many years ago. The best thing about it is that the little polo guy is located down on the lower left hand side, so nobody notices it. I just checked the RL website and they are $50-55 on sale now. the ones with the GIANT PONY are more. That must be what all the cool people are wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics