or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stylish shorts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stylish shorts

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,

I see alot of people in NYC wearing jeans in this blistering heat. For a person who just can't handle the humidity, what are some stylish shorts to wear?

Should they be slim and tapered?
Baggy?
Below the knee, above the knee?
Have strings hanging out? (Saw some cool light cargo ones at Club Monaco)
Cargo shorts?
Camo shorts?
Plaid/Madras and striped shorts?

What other options are out there? I am trying to put together a new wardrobe of shorts for the rest of the summer. Thanks alot guys.
post #2 of 63
Style and shorts an are oxymoron. Wear them for comfort and function but don't try and mistake them for stylish wear in public.
post #3 of 63
Any of the looks you've described are also available in pants. If the material is light weight, they'll be almost as comfortable as shorts and better looking. I love me some shorts, but they're not even potentially stylish, unless worn within 500 meters of your own home or a beach.
post #4 of 63
What kind of clothes do you normally wear? Where will you be wearing them? As for stylishness, thesartorialist.blogspot.com has posted some good looks in shorts this summer. Pretty prepped up, though.

If you're going to be wearing them with cleaner, dressier looks (I know, I know, dressy shorts, oxymoron, etc.) some simple cotton shorts from Ralph Lauren will do the trick. Like these: Bermuda length (to the knee), definitely no pleats, wearable with a polo, oxford, or tshirt. RL has linen shorts, too, which can be nice.

For something a little less ubiquitous, Mason's makes very nice shorts.

I just bought a pair of Trovata shorts, which I like, but they're a little baggy, and the details (odd buttons and embroidery) would look off in anything but the most casual situations.

Or you could go for the original go-to-hell shorts.

Whatever you do, no jorts!
post #5 of 63
I've always wanted a pair of these, just because of the history:
http://www.billskhakis.com/shop/shorts_gurkha.html
post #6 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Style and shorts an are oxymoron. Wear them for comfort and function but don't try and mistake them for stylish wear in public.



This was precisely what I was going to write. Grown men should avoid shorts in public unless they are playing games.
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I've always wanted a pair of these, just because of the history: http://www.billskhakis.com/shop/shorts_gurkha.html
Oh, damn, had a look at them - now I want them too. They might be available as milsurp in the UK, though.
post #8 of 63
Shorts are functional garments which can be freely worn in summer. Cut-offs are informal other have varying degrees of incremental formality but style is probably the wrong word.
post #9 of 63
Thread Starter 

I like to wear blazers and dress/button-down shirts quite often. Occasionally, I'll sport the polo.

In my case, I don't think shorts are too out of the question...but thanks very much for all of your answers. I can understand why now many guys in NYC don't wear shorts.

For my part, I think I'm going to pick up some very fitted plain Tees from American Apparel and pair em with different shorts. It's too hot for me ... I can't take it


Edited by MysticAura - 10/17/11 at 7:57pm
post #10 of 63
I've actually seen a pair of charcoal gray wool shorts that were very slim and cut just above the knee from Thom Browne that were very stylish. Obviously not for everybody, but for the slim and edgy guy that would gravitate towards Thom Browne anyways, they're a nice option.
post #11 of 63
one word - seersucker
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
What kind of clothes do you normally wear? Where will you be wearing them? As for stylishness, thesartorialist.blogspot.com has posted some good looks in shorts this summer. Pretty prepped up, though.

If you're going to be wearing them with cleaner, dressier looks (I know, I know, dressy shorts, oxymoron, etc.) some simple cotton shorts from Ralph Lauren will do the trick. Like these: Bermuda length (to the knee), definitely no pleats, wearable with a polo, oxford, or tshirt. RL has linen shorts, too, which can be nice.

For something a little less ubiquitous, Mason's makes very nice shorts.

I just bought a pair of Trovata shorts, which I like, but they're a little baggy, and the details (odd buttons and embroidery) would look off in anything but the most casual situations.

Or you could go for the original go-to-hell shorts.

Whatever you do, no jorts!
very helpful post, thank you.
post #13 of 63
Hey guys,

what about Hawaiian style with flowers?
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson brother
Hey guys,

what about Hawaiian style with flowers?


Yes, absolutely. They're perfect for you.
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Style and shorts an are oxymoron. Wear them for comfort and function but don't try and mistake them for stylish wear in public.

This reminds me of the current Theory ad campaign "Sophisticated T-shirts. We know that's an oxymoron, but so is innocent flirting."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stylish shorts