• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Hickey kaput?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the mainline H-F, the younger hickey line. A column in this trade mag begins: "As I was reading about how the hickey brand is officially gone today..." and mentions that the closure was just one more consequence of parent co Hartmark filing Chapter 11 back in Jan 2009. The line was about 5 years old. Some of looked great. I won't miss those marijuana leaves, tho'. Anyone know more?

royskeen

Reaction score
That would suck. Hope there is a fire sale, though!

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Was always a bit too expensive for the target demographic...even on sale. The marijuana leaf insignia was also annoying.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
Was always a bit too expensive for the target demographic...even on sale. The marijuana leaf insignia was also annoying.

The price was stupid. The Hickey website was also a pain to browse.
However the quality was decent compared to other companies aimed at college students.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If hickey really did close for good this week, the writing has been on the wall for awhile.

I think that the old designer (Aaron Levine) went to Rogues Gallery.

The SoHo store closed a couple months ago. I hit up the sample sale in New York because I thought that the store closure meant that the line would be going out of business.

Then, out of nowhere earlier this year, the site had a new spring collection up. Maybe this had been planned for awhile, and it was the last hickey collection?

I can't find any sources to corroborate the claim in the original post that the hickey line is gone for good. Can anyone give me a link?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Then, out of nowhere earlier this year, the site had a new spring collection up. Maybe this had been planned for awhile, and it was the last hickey collection?

Even if they're closing, if it's abrupt enough the brand might push out a new season or two, based on pre-ordering. For example, I knew Martin + Osa was going to be closed soon, but they still came
out with two new seasons' worth of clothing.

Then again, maybe this isn't the case with Hickey since they make suits, which wouldn't necessarily be mass-manufactured to the same extent as a mall store would be.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak

+1 I liked the stuff quite a bit, and I was pretty much the target customer. But for the money they were asking retail, my money was much better spent other places.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads