or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Cheap sites to buy from?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheap sites to buy from?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hi, new guy here. First post.

First off, I want to say I love this forum, it's chock full of awesome info and helpful people! I look forward to plumbing it to it's fullest depths.

I'm looking for places to shop where I can buy an outfit for no more than....oh $100 - $120.

I guess knowing about my style would help maybe? I'm 18 years old and about to begin my second year of college. I dress casual mostly. HOWEVER, I DON'T WEAR THE BAGGY/HOLEY JEANS! I HATE those things. They drive me nutty.

Perhaps then I'm a bit preppy? I don't know. When I hear preppy I think "snob" which I certainly don't feel like I am. I don't wear really outlandish things, and I don't really wear trendy items either. I've looked at a few sites, such as Kenneth Cole and Banana Republic. I like the things they list as "urban" or "casual," but they're expensive! (To me at least!) I can't afford a $60 shirt!

Am I just too cheap? Probably so. Sticker shock I guess.

Any suggestions?
post #2 of 15
Thrift stores are your friend, Filenes Basement (sp?), Buffalo Exchange, Crossroads, Nordies Rack, Off 5th, Barney's Co-op and blah blah blah. Use them.
post #3 of 15
To add to the list: Neiman Marcus Last Call, Century 21, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bluefly.com, Yoox.com, SierraTradingPost.com, VirtualClothesHorse.com
post #4 of 15
H&M will have similar styles to Kenneth Cole and Banana Republic (though H&M is not quite so bland, and probably fits better depending on your build) for about half the price, or less.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
To add to the list: Neiman Marcus Last Call, Century 21, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bluefly.com, Yoox.com, SierraTradingPost.com, VirtualClothesHorse.com


Century 21?

I have a hit-or-miss relationship with Kenneth Cole. Sometimes their styles can be real eurotrash and outlandish and all of their clothing is one size larger than marked. It's actually pretty odd come to think of it: clothing geared for young professionals but shaped for older men. It's the more classic, mellow stuff that I own (dress shirts, jackets, club wear, shoes, etc.). Just a shame that they're relatively inconsistent in terms of keeping a certain look because quality-wise I think they're fantastic. Guess that's just their style.

H&M is rather amazing but stemming from Euro fashion can suffer the same "over-the-top" problem as KC. However, they're extremely cheap, decently made, and has a truer, slimmer fit. I'd buy more from them if only they had an online store or a shop in Southern CA. Why they haven't by now is still a mystery to me.

Also, eBay should be a given. If you're looking around online shops and have a general idea of brand/style, ebay can save you tons. Just check it's authentic.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini
Century 21?
In NYC across the street from the WTC site. Incredible deals, wide selection, and an absolute fucking madhouse. Worth a visit if you're in the city.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini
Century 21?

I have a hit-or-miss relationship with Kenneth Cole. Sometimes their styles can be real eurotrash and outlandish and all of their clothing is one size larger than marked. It's actually pretty odd come to think of it: clothing geared for young professionals but shaped for older men. It's the more classic, mellow stuff that I own (dress shirts, jackets, club wear, shoes, etc.). Just a shame that they're relatively inconsistent in terms of keeping a certain look because quality-wise I think they're fantastic. Guess that's just their style.

H&M is rather amazing but stemming from Euro fashion can suffer the same "over-the-top" problem as KC. However, they're extremely cheap, decently made, and has a truer, slimmer fit. I'd buy more from them if only they had an online store or a shop in Southern CA. Why they haven't by now is still a mystery to me.

Also, eBay should be a given. If you're looking around online shops and have a general idea of brand/style, ebay can save you tons. Just check it's authentic.

KC eurotrash? Trust me, that would be an improvement. For all the much vaunted stylishness and fashion forward aesthetic they spew, they rarely hit the euro-forward style. They are the equivalent to the Grucci watch or Kalvin Clein SeeK1 you find on the street
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
KC eurotrash? Trust me, that would be an improvement. For all the much vaunted stylishness and fashion forward aesthetic they spew, they rarely hit the euro-forward style. They are the equivalent to the Grucci watch or Kalvin Clein SeeK1 you find on the street

Don't forget Brada...





or Gianni Armani
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini
Century 21?

I have a hit-or-miss relationship with Kenneth Cole. Sometimes their styles can be real eurotrash and outlandish and all of their clothing is one size larger than marked. It's actually pretty odd come to think of it: clothing geared for young professionals but shaped for older men. It's the more classic, mellow stuff that I own (dress shirts, jackets, club wear, shoes, etc.). Just a shame that they're relatively inconsistent in terms of keeping a certain look because quality-wise I think they're fantastic. Guess that's just their style.

H&M is rather amazing but stemming from Euro fashion can suffer the same "over-the-top" problem as KC. However, they're extremely cheap, decently made, and has a truer, slimmer fit. I'd buy more from them if only they had an online store or a shop in Southern CA. Why they haven't by now is still a mystery to me.

Also, eBay should be a given. If you're looking around online shops and have a general idea of brand/style, ebay can save you tons. Just check it's authentic.

There's gonna be an H&M opening on rodeo I think this fall... or is it on melrose? I dunno. See you there.
post #10 of 15
H&M is supposed to be in the Beverly Center, and in Old Town Pasadena, Santa Anita mall, Irvine Spectrum....I'm sure there's more in the LA area than those too
post #11 of 15
If you go for sort of "preppy" styles, why not check out the sale on the J Crew website? People on the Men's Clothing forum have picked up some nice looking sweaters and things at good bargains. I think it's possible to pick up an outfit for that price in a lot of places with one major exception: jeans. I'd say be willing to get one or two pairs for $100-150 each, because they will just be better.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifest v
There's gonna be an H&M opening on rodeo I think this fall... or is it on melrose? I dunno. See you there.
I've been out of the country too f'ing long (i.e. 3 months). I can't comprehend where they'd stuff a store like H&M on Melrose but then again, they did add an Urban a few years back. As for Old Town Pas, I hope they put it some place like the Paseo. The whole Colorado/Fair Oaks scene is crowded as is. Maybe I'm just expecting them to be nice and big like the ones in DC. EDIT: I think KC and Polo both have the same idea of "forward" and have little to do with Euro-forward standards. It'd be a shame if you equate Euro-forward meaning it must be good.
post #13 of 15
which reminds me

any good thrift stores in DC/georgetown??
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilokore
which reminds me

any good thrift stores in DC/georgetown??
I'll ask around for you.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Websites will be my main thing here, as I live in Mississippi and I don't get to travel. :P

If I ever visit New York, I'll keep these names in mind.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Cheap sites to buy from?