• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The poker tips and bragging thread

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fora seemed to need one.

Any players around here?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i played throughout med school as a way to get away from the hospital.

best advice i got and actually took:

learn the odds. especially for texas holdem, which aren't that hard to compute using a short hand method for quick (but accurate odds). even in this super poker saturated time, a ton of players still don't know the odds of the cards while playing.

just knowing how to compute odds can help you win during the smaller house games/bar games.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
the name says it all.
lol8[1].gif
Wanna go heads up for ties on ultimatebet?
smile.gif

Pfff Call you LRL, raise you 2 Zegnas and a Burberry Whats ultimabet? Is that some way to setup a private game? .... my advice, not really advice, more a saying: "better to be lucky late than early"

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Pfff

Call you LRL, raise you 2 Zegnas and a Burberry

Whats ultimabet? Is that some way to setup a private game?

.... my advice, not really advice, more a saying: "better to be lucky late than early"

ultimatebet.com Phil Hellmuths website. Online poker for teh munniez. I actually play on PokerStars. Used to take up all my time and money before I found SF
lol8[1].gif

And I call your Burberrys and raise you all in 100 tartan plaids

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time in vegas I went with my girl at the time. I went off somewhere and she went off to play poker (Pai gow I think it was).

She calls me a few hours later ecstatic. I find her and she tells me she was watching this game and some old guy who she thought was a pro player invited her to sit down and play with his money. Im sure she flirted with him (and knowing her, probably blew him in the bathroom) but at teh end of it she paid him back and walked away with $500.

She showed me the ONE chip they gave her, kind of unreal that piece of clay was worth so much.

Im going to vegas this weekend. Prob play 21, not much of a poker guy myself esp. since I dont know the odds!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Figure out what your bankroll is and then play within it. If your bankroll can't support the variance of the game at your chosen stakes, you will eventually go bust no matter how good you are. You are better to step down and play a smaller stakes game. This has psychological ramifications that will affect your playing as well. Poker is largely a game of calculation and probability. You can make the right move and still lose all your chips. This is why bankroll management is so important.

Don't play on tilt.

Aside from that, it's hard to give advice as the advice would have to change depending on the stakes you are playing, and where you are playing, limit/no-limit, position at the table, etc ad infinitum.

Read some books if you want real advice and then join 2+2.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Figure out what your bankroll is and then play within it. If your bankroll can't support the variance of the game at your chosen stakes, you will eventually go bust no matter how good you are. You are better to step down and play a smaller stakes game. This has psychological ramifications that will affect your playing as well. Poker is largely a game of calculation and probability. You can make the right move and still lose all your chips. This is why bankroll management is so important.

Don't play on tilt.

Aside from that, it's hard to give advice as the advice would have to change depending on the stakes you are playing, and where you are playing, limit/no-limit, position at the table, etc ad infinitum.

Read some books if you want real advice and then join 2+2.

This is all you need to know.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to play quite a bit...once a week or so online, with friends, etc. I don't play much anymore. I know the odds and all, but lost interest when I kept losing big hands or getting knocked out of tourneys on the river when my opponent only had 2 out cards. This would happen like clockwork. When you get a guy to call/raise to all in after fourth street and you see he only has 2 outs and the first thing that comes to your mind is, "****, not again"...and that card comes up again...you lose interest in the game quickly.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
I know the odds and all, but lost interest when I kept losing big hands or getting knocked out of tourneys on the river when my opponent only had 2 out cards.

Easy solution to that is not to let it get to the river. When I know I have the best hand on the flop I bet hard. Most, who know the odds, bail. If they are praying for a card the worst thing you can do is make it easy on them by a min bet, ***** bet or worse a check.

There are lots of variables here, type of game, your stack, his, etc - but for me this is a rule of thumb. Occasionally you'll get a tool that bets on whatever he has but the chances he'll hit are small. The objective here is to get, say 5 people, to fold down to 1 or 2. Then you're favorite.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Easy solution to that is not to let it get to the river. When I know I have the best hand on the flop I bet hard. Most, who know the odds, bail. If they are praying for a card the worst thing you can do is make it easy on them by a min bet, ***** bet or worse a check.

There are lots of variables here, type of game, your stack, his, etc - but for me this is a rule of thumb. Occasionally you'll get a tool that bets on whatever he has but the chances he'll hit are small. The objective here is to get, say 5 people, to fold down to 1 or 2. Then you're favorite.

Yah, if you have a marginal hand, but if you flop the absolute nuts no way am I not going to slowplay and trap the table for 2 rounds of betting.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Don't play on tilt.

Damn right.

I play on Zynga.com to work on my chops (free 'n ****)... one of my favorite tools is the chat window. I use that ***** all the time to unsettle people. One of my favorite moves is to call out a guy that looks skilled and say "Hey, everyone, I've played with XXX before - he's a big time bluffer"

Not only does it piss off XXX but it gets the tools to bet against him thinking they might have an angle... you'd be AMAZED how well this works. Once they lose a big hand they are tilted. Come at them hard again and they always go all in. Like candy from a baby.

Second fave gambit is to tone down a big better on the down cards by saying "everything is a flush, eh XXX?" or "Trips again, eh XXX?" or even the simplest "Has anyone else noticed XXX bets hard on the down cards almost every hand? Man, he is having the greatest run ever"

Tilt and you shall win.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Yah, if you have a marginal hand, but if you flop the absolute nuts no way am I not going to slowplay and trap the table for 2 rounds of betting.

Exactly. A great hand is never a time to bet hard, although its critical to vary your play... nothing intimidates the pussies at the table like taking a big hand to the end and scoring.

But say you pull a 99 with a 59K flop, you are in late position and everyone checks, goddam you better act like you have that konger.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics