or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The poker tips and bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The poker tips and bragging thread - Page 13

post #181 of 296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
I disagree. Its true however when youre starting out and playing ABC.

The thing is youre probably reraising AA preflop, thus everyone is putting you on a big pair hand, and youre only getting called postflop by hands that have you beat. That and it IS difficult to fold.

However, you should balance your ranges. For example, you should open up your re-raising range. Start re-raising other hands some of the time, even weak ones. When your range is wider, you will get paid off when you actually have the goods + you will bluff a lot of pots as well.

If youre known to reraise with marginal hands some of the time youll get played back at preflop with weaker hands as well.

Actually, I vary play with big pocket hands, especially pairs. 70% of the time I check preflop, especially with AA.

I like to trap in these situations, especially if another A pops up on the flop. regardless of what flops If I see 2 of a suit on the flop I raise very hard to try and kill the hand, or if an obvious strait draw shows up. Otherwise, I check until someone bets, then bet hard on my last chance to bet to indicate I am trying to buy the pot. Works most of the time, occasionally I get caught out with a set but most often this approach works.

I agree 100% with varying raises before the flop. In fact, I've actually adopted the approach of betting preflop on every 3rd or 5th hand I play, regardless of what I am holding. I like to have that randomness, and the small losses are made up with the occasional pocket 4 with a A44 flop.
post #182 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
Actually, I vary play with big pocket hands, especially pairs. 70% of the time I check preflop, especially with AA.

I like to trap in these situations, especially if another A pops up on the flop. regardless of what flops If I see 2 of a suit on the flop I raise very hard to try and kill the hand, or if an obvious strait draw shows up. Otherwise, I check until someone bets, then bet hard on my last chance to bet to indicate I am trying to buy the pot. Works most of the time, occasionally I get caught out with a set but most often this approach works.

I agree 100% with varying raises before the flop. In fact, I've actually adopted the approach of betting preflop on every 3rd or 5th hand I play, regardless of what I am holding. I like to have that randomness, and the small losses are made up with the occasional pocket 4 with a A44 flop.

if i may offer my advice, theres no way theres any game or situation where just calling big pairs 70% of the time is optimal strategy.

The limp or check with aces and big pocket pairs is something that should be done a small % of the time.

Personnally i prefer cultivating an image where ill get action with a raise rather than having to slowplay to get action.

But even if youre tight you should still raise those pairs way more than 50% of the time. Theres plenty of other pairs to set mine.

Besides, whats the point of raising every 4th or 5th hand regardless if its not to capitalize on that when you actually have a hand worth raising?

Yeah limping with AA will get you a big set over set hand once every couple of monthes or whatever but youre losing money if your default move with big pairs is to just call.


And when theres a flush or straight draw, you dont want to kill the hand. YOu want them to call with the wrong odds. Dont be afraid to get sucked out on if they have the wrong odds to call, in the long term youll make money. Bet whatever you think theyll call as long as it doesnt give them the right price to chase. Dont bet thinking i want them to fold because im afraid of losing the hand.
post #183 of 296
Dear god Jamie Gold is awful.
post #184 of 296
Not as bad as Dwan.
post #185 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
Not as bad as Dwan.

I don't know if you mean playing ability but I just meant as a personality.

Think Hellmuth is going to get bracelet #12?
post #186 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
I don't know if you mean playing ability but I just meant as a personality.

Think Hellmuth is going to get bracelet #12?

You forgot looks too. Hes a weird motherfucker, and I hate his style of play.

Hellmuth will get that bracelet, hell yeah. You dont think so?
post #187 of 296
How do you guys evaluate starting hands for Omaha 8-or-better?
post #188 of 296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
How do you guys evaluate starting hands for Omaha 8-or-better?

I look for linking cards and value double suited the most. I try to avoid the hand if only one side of it is useful unless its like AA or KK.
post #189 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
I try to avoid the hand if only one side of it is useful

This is good advice. You make money at O8 by scooping pots. In fact, reasonably often I fold a nut low when I know that I'm only going to quarter a pot, because my high hand sucks. Winning half a pot generally nets you very little, so look for hands that are strong high and low.
post #190 of 296
Anyone go to Commerce? I've been playing the 5/10 there a bit.
post #191 of 296
Thread Starter 
Hosted a game at my house the other night and got my ass handed to me.

Had quad 7's, went all in and was beating with a fucking strait flush. Can you believe that? 1 in a million I could lose that hand.
post #192 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
Hosted a game at my house the other night and got my ass handed to me.

Had quad 7's, went all in and was beating with a fucking strait flush. Can you believe that? 1 in a million I could lose that hand.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away, and know when to run!

Tough break broski!
post #193 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
Hosted a game at my house the other night and got my ass handed to me.

Had quad 7's, went all in and was beating with a fucking strait flush. Can you believe that? 1 in a million I could lose that hand.

Who dealt the hand?
post #194 of 296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
Who dealt the hand?



It was a guy that folded early
post #195 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
Hosted a game at my house the other night and got my ass handed to me.

Had quad 7's, went all in and was beating with a fucking strait flush. Can you believe that? 1 in a million I could lose that hand.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The poker tips and bragging thread