or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The poker tips and bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The poker tips and bragging thread - Page 12

post #166 of 296
I went to vegas and didn't lose any money.
post #167 of 296
LOL donkaments - Barry Greenstein
post #168 of 296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanglandDandy View Post
LOL donkaments - Barry Greenstein

Ya, I saw that.

Question about some of the hands I see played on High Stakes Poker:

I see them playing some really strange pocket cards, and I dont see the logic behind it.

Often a player will play a 10 2, 4 6, 5 9, and 8 3, wtf?

I know that many of these are potential straits, and often times they are suited, but this is big money, why are they playing these cards?

The only logic I can gather is that they are trying to steal a pot when a flop comes low cards and they pair up, for example 10 2, and the flop is 4 2 7, the players playing A J will hit nothing, and the player on the lower cards has a way to win the pot. Is this why?

I'd like to understand some of the logic here, if anyone understands why they play this way.
post #169 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
I'd like to understand some of the logic here, if anyone understands why they play this way.

It's pretty hard for another player to put you on 59 unsuited. If you catch a flop, you will get paid off. Big hands, like AK, tend to either win you very little or lose you a lot. It's the less obvious hands that make you money. Now, the less obvious hands tend to be more like 89 suited, but the 59 offsuit is a similar concept. Players like to play hands like 59, so they remain unpredictable. If you only played solid hands then you become much easier to read.
post #170 of 296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbromer View Post
It's pretty hard for another player to put you on 59 unsuited. If you catch a flop, you will get paid off. Big hands, like AK, tend to either win you very little or lose you a lot. It's the less obvious hands that make you money. Now, the less obvious hands tend to be more like 89 suited, but the 59 offsuit is a similar concept. Players like to play hands like 59, so they remain unpredictable. If you only played solid hands then you become much easier to read.
Makes sense. I once met a construction worker with a bunch of scars on his arms: when I asked him where the scars came from he told me sometimes you gotta give an arm to get at the stomach while play acting a knife fight. This was before guns were replaced with knives. Tough motherfucker that guy. Had about a dozen scars on his arms.
post #171 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
Makes sense. I once met a construction worker with a bunch of scars on his arms: when I asked him where the scars came from he told me sometimes you gotta give an arm to get at the stomach while play acting a knife fight. This was before guns were replaced with knives.

Tough motherfucker that guy. Had about a dozen scars on his arms.

im going to use this saying next time i compete in something
post #172 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
im going to use this saying next time i compete in something

i'm going to use the actual advice if i'm ever it a real knife fight (or scalpel fight ).
post #173 of 296
Thread Starter 
Hey it was mentioned to have a tournament here... full tilt has private tournaments that are password protected.

Anyone interested in setting one up?
post #174 of 296
What's the prize?
post #175 of 296
Just won my home game tournament! Yeah! B&S money for a whole week!
post #176 of 296
Could someone please PM me with advice on loading a ps account?
post #177 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Could someone please PM me with advice on loading a ps account?

Not a PM, obviously, but this is information that should benefit everyone. It's not very complicated. I use the "instant e-checks" option. The Visa and MasterCard options have never worked for me, and I've never tried the other options. Just follow the instructions and fill in your bank account and other personal information. If you have an issue giving them personal information, then you may be screwed. It withdraws straight from your bank account.
post #178 of 296
Echecks is definitely the slickest way to load and cash out if your bank lets the transaction go through. Etrade and PNC are two banks Ive never had a problem with.
post #179 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
AA = going to win a small pot or lose a big one
I disagree. Its true however when youre starting out and playing ABC. The thing is youre probably reraising AA preflop, thus everyone is putting you on a big pair hand, and youre only getting called postflop by hands that have you beat. That and it IS difficult to fold. However, you should balance your ranges. For example, you should open up your re-raising range. Start re-raising other hands some of the time, even weak ones. When your range is wider, you will get paid off when you actually have the goods + you will bluff a lot of pots as well. If youre known to reraise with marginal hands some of the time youll get played back at preflop with weaker hands as well.
post #180 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
Ya, I saw that.

Question about some of the hands I see played on High Stakes Poker:

I see them playing some really strange pocket cards, and I dont see the logic behind it.

Often a player will play a 10 2, 4 6, 5 9, and 8 3, wtf?

I know that many of these are potential straits, and often times they are suited, but this is big money, why are they playing these cards?

The only logic I can gather is that they are trying to steal a pot when a flop comes low cards and they pair up, for example 10 2, and the flop is 4 2 7, the players playing A J will hit nothing, and the player on the lower cards has a way to win the pot. Is this why?

I'd like to understand some of the logic here, if anyone understands why they play this way.


TBH idnt take HSP play as a real source of actual poker advice.

1- theres the TV factor, a lot of those players get on TV to get their name out there and profit from poker website endorsement deals. Not many want to be seen as nits and everyone wants to be part of the night's cool hand.

2- Theyre all very good players and theyre very good postflop, what they have matters less.

3- Theyre playing very deep most of the time. If you start calling raises with 93s with 100 Big blinds stacks youre getting broke very quickly.

Yeah in actual games they will call and play those hands but i doubt any of them do it as frequently or in that manner as they do on the show, specially in a full table situation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The poker tips and bragging thread