or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The poker tips and bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The poker tips and bragging thread - Page 10

post #136 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
Here is another reason I'm not willing to play online with random people:

Whats to stop 2 or 3 guys on IM feeding eachother their hands? They could sit there all day mopping up.

A lot of people get banned from the main sites for exactly that, they have some pretty decent safeguards in place to detect it. It does still happen though, you just have to be careful and aware.

I play on Full Tilt (sn: Faded TV), if anyone ever wants to get a game together I'd definitely be in. I know you can set up private tourneys on there, never done it myself though.

Magician, playing tight at home games is almost always the best strategy. Unless your playing home games with other people who take poker seriously, the players will usually be very loose. As conventional wisdom says, when the field is loose play tight and vice versa. Also, if you haven't already done so, read Caro's Book of Tells. It doesn't apply in casinos as much anymore because it's so exploitable but it definitely applies in home games.
post #137 of 296
Re: the house game.

I start out playing good tight poker, take out one of the loose dudes and have the tallest stack. Then a guy shows up late to buy in - fine - except they make him buy off other players instead of the bank. WTF. There were plenty of leftover chips. Not only that since I was tall stack they made me sell him some of mine. I got in a big argument and got kind of pissed.

Because the table is so loose, it takes BIG raises to get anyone out pre-flop. I then learn they have a rule when you can only bet $.75 pre-flop? WTF again? yes this is NL hold em with no option to go all in pre-flop. I get in a big argument again and go way on tilt and throw almost my whole stack away to the one truly strong player there.

Then I play smart, tight poker and grind my way back up till I have a decent stack. Then this hand falls:

AQs and I'm on the button. Few calls and folds then I make the retarded maximum $.75 big blind raise - which hasn't gone up even though the big blind is now $.20 and thank god only one dude calls. Of course he is the only strong player there.

Flop: QQK

I bet $2.50 in line with the strong c-bets I've been making. and the dude calls:

turn: K falls and I bet the pot, he calls

river: 4 falls, dude bets $5, I raise him all in. He calls and of course he has boat over boat on me with the last king.

post #138 of 296
you should just call the river, no reason to raise all in because he rarely calls with worse, which would be any lower Q. (depending on how much more it was for the all in) Games like these are tiltifying don't take them too seriously.
post #139 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinsense View Post
you should just call the river, no reason to raise all in because he rarely calls with worse, which would be any lower Q. (depending on how much more it was for the all in) Games like these are tiltifying don't take them too seriously.
I think I should probably have backed off as soon as the second king fell, but yeah. Definitely was not playing my best all night. Not that it's ever easy to lay down a boat.
post #140 of 296
wtf are they limiting pre-flop betting for? If they don't want the pot to get too big, just lower the blinds, don't bastardize the game...
post #141 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
wtf are they limiting pre-flop betting for? If they don't want the pot to get too big, just lower the blinds, don't bastardize the game...
I got SO mad. It's unsurprisingly a very loose game so that rule effectively limits the game to three rounds of betting. Nearly every hand was won with things like k3, 78, garbage like that. Virtually impossible to put anyone on a range.
post #142 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
I got SO mad. It's unsurprisingly a very loose game so that rule effectively limits the game to three rounds of betting. Nearly every hand was won with things like k3, 78, garbage like that. Virtually impossible to put anyone on a range.
I'll be honest, unless you're going to this game for purely entertainment reasons, I wouldn't waste my time with it. Limiting pre-flop betting like that is such a gross perversion of the game that it really isn't even worth playing. The basic effect of that rule is to toss skill out the window and make it an almost purely luck-based game. Great for the bad players, terrible for anyone who wants to play serious poker. Also I second calling on the river there, he's not calling with anything worse and he's certainly not folding anything better. Always remember the three reasons to bet: to make a better hand fold, to make a worse hand call, or to give your opponent the wrong odds to play a drawing hand. None of those three apply in this situation.
post #143 of 296
Ive played home games like this. You say you were the youngest player at the table, but were they really a bunch of old farts? Stingy old fuckers like that like to make up their own rules and stick by them no matter what. I hate those rock bastards - they 99% of the time suck out on you on the river, no matter what.
post #144 of 296
and also be thankful it was a $5, not a $500 pot.
post #145 of 296
Yeah, I absolutely fucked up on the turn. I think a big part of my poor play was tilting in relation to the rule argument. I ended up blowing a stack of like $16 total on the pot but certainly not $500. I will not be playing in this game again.
post #146 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Yeah, I absolutely fucked up on the turn.

I think a big part of my poor play was tilting in relation to the rule argument. I ended up blowing a stack of like $16 total on the pot but certainly not $500. I will not be playing in this game again.

Yeah, I typically try to self-monitor after each hand and if I'm tilting at all I stand up and take a forced 15 minute break. Nothing's worse for your game than playing on tilt. Good choice with regards to not playing in that game again, you can always find another house game where they don't have retarded rules. Do you play online much/at all?
post #147 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
So I'm off to my Memorial Day game. It's a house game I've played on and off in and the play style varies a lot. Some people are retarded loose andw ill call anything anywhere, a couple other players are tighter and I think one or two might secretly be good strategic players but it's hard to tell with the mess that goes on.

What is the difference between "retarded loose" and calling with "anything anywhere"?

As for the secret strategic players, keep going to the game. Note who wins consistently and how they do it. Follow the money to find out who the players are. The best players don't play a particular style all the time, but rather vary their style according to the particular game. A smart player will go with looser play in a loose game. Tight aggressive play by one or two players can ruin a loose soft game pretty quickly by running over the weak players.
post #148 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Re: the house game.

I get in a big argument again and go way on tilt and throw almost my whole stack away to the one truly strong player there.


You got in a big argument over house rules in a home game? House rules are house rules. You can play or not play.
post #149 of 296
I have difiiculty understanding this, but it does seem interesting
post #150 of 296
AA is my biggest leak. For whatever reason I can't bring myself to fold it, even when I know I'm beat. Drives me mental.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The poker tips and bragging thread