or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › H&S Navy Fresco
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

H&S Navy Fresco - Page 2

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
At the very back of the Crispaire book, there used to be maybe four heavier fabrics. They aren't available any longer. My local tailor has an old book and you can see where these were scissored out. I can't remember if they were 13 or 15 oz. Someone told me they were woven by Minnis.

yes, there were a few heavy pieces at the back, heavier than minnis'
it was a 3 or 4ply
an aquaintance had a suit made of it
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Able View Post
FWIW, they just told me that 333202 is an end bolt and part of the only book of fresco they sold in recent memory. The confirmed for me that it is a 9/10 oz. So did crispaire replace this old fresco book?

Im pretty sure that stuff is 9/10oz.
Excuse my lack of technical terms, but whilst that fabric is thicker than most 9/10oz, the open weave means it is less dense, and accordingly weighs less per metre. You could always weigh it and divide by the length.
post #18 of 29
The Cispaire bunch I have is about a year old. It does not contain anything other than 9/10 cloth.

I would be interested to know what has changed in the new bunch.

By the way, I never thought of Crispaire as a fresco weave - more of a panama weave like Harrison's Frontier.
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox81 View Post
Im pretty sure that stuff is 9/10oz.
Excuse my lack of technical terms, but whilst that fabric is thicker than most 9/10oz, the open weave means it is less dense, and accordingly weighs less per metre. You could always weigh it and divide by the length.

I think I am certainly looking at 333202. The selvege (sp?) contains the word Fresco, so I assume that H&S sourced this through Minnis. Thanks again for all of the help.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by courty View Post
The Cispaire bunch I have is about a year old. It does not contain anything other than 9/10 cloth. I would be interested to know what has changed in the new bunch. By the way, I never thought of Crispaire as a fresco weave - more of a panama weave like Harrison's Frontier.
The old book had Crispaire Fresco emblazoned on the front. If your book just says Crispaire it's the new one. From a visual point of view Harrisons Frontier is a nicer cloth. Performance wise Fresco just nudges it. Fresco's by the way are a plain weave.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
The old book had Crispaire Fresco emblazoned on the front. If your book just says Crispaire it's the new one. From a visual point of view Harrisons Frontier is a nicer cloth. Performance wise Fresco just nudges it. Fresco's by the way are a plain weave.
Are the books markedly different? I picked from the book with Crispaire Fresco on the front, later seeing the book marked just Crispaire. I never looked at the latter. I wish H&S had a better website.
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Are the books markedly different? I picked from the book with Crispaire Fresco on the front, later seeing the book marked just Crispaire. I never looked at the latter. I wish H&S had a better website.
I only flicked through it, they seemed to have dropped a few of the stripes that they had in the old book but I didn't do a side by side comparison.
post #23 of 29
I am looking at both old ,HS 329 and new, HS 1033 Crispaire books.

The old book HS 329 has 4 different cloths. Majority of the old book was 9 1/2 / 10 ounce goods in a panama weave and all wool. A few 10 ounce cloths that are 70% worsted 30% mohair, labeled Crispaire not Fresco.
A few 10 ounce cloths labeled Fresco and a few 13/14 ounce cloths labeled Fresco.

According to the H&S website 333202 is still available from the old Crispaire/Fresco book.

New book HS 1033 is entirely made up of 9 1/2 / 10 ounce panama weave, no Fresco.
post #24 of 29
For what it's worth, I contacted Holland & Sherry at Savile Row, and I have been advised that there are only about 2 suit lengths' worth of 333202. It is listed as a 9/10 oz 100% worsted Fresco, and Holland & Sherry will not be selling this directly to the public, but only via one's tailors. My view is that the navy appears a lot darker than the picture posted above, and I'd much prefer a navy wool crepe fabric I got through eBay instead, which is most likely to be cheaper as well.
post #25 of 29
This one was definately navy, although i dont recall it having H&S on the selvedge.

post #26 of 29
What do you guys think of #339031 ? It's Navy Royal Blue Bold Stripe.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius69 View Post
What do you guys think of #339031 ? It's Navy Royal Blue Bold Stripe.

Too bold for my taste
post #28 of 29
I ordered the HS339053 recently from the chan tour, I can't find a link on the H&S website but interested if anyone else has seen that fabric and what they thought? Thanks.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonj View Post

I ordered the HS339053 recently from the chan tour, I can't find a link on the H&S website but interested if anyone else has seen that fabric and what they thought? Thanks.

Would appreciate anyone's updated thoughts on this as well. How would 339053 compare to Minnis 0516? Is the H&S not a true "fresco," or is it somehow different? Trying to decide which would make the better blazer suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › H&S Navy Fresco