• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes R107 (70's and 80's SL)

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own one? I used to think these were the most hideous Mercedes's around until I looked at a couple examples recently and realized that like a fine wine, it's an acquired taste. If you have one or had one, I'd love to hear about your ownership experience, cost to maintain, reliability, etc.

I'm wishlisting a 87 560SL similar to this guy and want someone to tell me that it's a nightmare to own one of these so I don't end up springing for it!

1987%20560SL%20GRAY%2058031%20002.jpg

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^One of my fav Mercs and on my wish list, just need to take some time and find a good one.

Regards.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a real beaut. I found a good one (in chicago! No rust! amazing!) but I'm not sure if it's at all practical as my first car that isn't my parents. As an aside, I'm wearing the EG's you sent me way back when and feel it's appropriate to say their the best shoes I've ever owned. Much thanks!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gorgeous cars, I've always liked them. Friends of mine have two, his and hers, although hers is currently inoperable. I think his is an 85 and hers is an 84. I've driven his a time or two, and it's a tank that's fun to drive.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
LabelKing on here daily drives one, I believe.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I have a red one. They are quite reliable but some of the models have a timing chain that needs to be serviced regularly otherwise it will snap and destroy your valves and engine. The guide-rails for the timing-chain is plastic so they are prone to wear and need to be replaced every so often. To replace them, the entire top engine block needs to be removed and that is about a $1000 job. I recently had the climate control system fixed--the thing was constantly blowing hot air, and that was about $700 to replace a heater control valve. They are V8 engines so they are not necessarily thrifty cars to operate. Your 560SL would be the largest engine, and the last version. My favorite part about this particular model is the unapologetic Mercedes-Benz emblem and grille on the front:
516280.jpg
Here's a very early example:
Mercedes-Benz-SL-Class_1971_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

I recently had the climate control system fixed--the thing was constantly blowing hot air, and that was about $700 to replace a heater control valve.
G]

Do they have mercedes junk yards?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Just seems like an ideal part to get from one. When i had a 79 320i BMW in highschool I was able to source most of the parts from one.

I believe that part often becomes defective with age so a new one would probably be a bit more prudent.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
Anyone own one? I used to think these were the most hideous Mercedes's around until I looked at a couple examples recently and realized that like a fine wine, it's an acquired taste. If you have one or had one, I'd love to hear about your ownership experience, cost to maintain, reliability, etc.

I'm wishlisting a 87 560SL similar to this guy and want someone to tell me that it's a nightmare to own one of these so I don't end up springing for it!

1987%20560SL%20GRAY%2058031%20002.jpg

is that guys benz in his livingroom or does his garage have wooden floors wtf?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ there are tons of MB-only parts yards. I believe the R107 has dashboards that tend to need vinyl recovering/wood restoration, I remember seeing services for this as early as the mid-90's on these cars. The Germans made real tanks in the old days that could save your life in a wreck, drive for 300K miles without missing a beat, look beautiful on the outside with nice thick sheetmetal that resisted dings and thick paint, and inevitably, the interior would go to **** within like 5-10 years and all the interior electrical stuff would break. MBs, BMWs, I don't know why that is, but in my formative years I came to believe all cars were like this, until I owned a relatively new Japanese car on my own.

My favorite part about this particular model is the unapologetic Mercedes-Benz emblem and grille on the front:

516280.jpg

Here's a very early example:

Mercedes-Benz-SL-Class_1971_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg

This car looks so much better with Euro-spec bumpers and that AMG apron. A lot of German cars from this period became aberrations with huge US bumpers; most BMWs, this SL, a real shame. They were (and are) some of the most handsome designs on the road, and they stuck those huge orange turn signals and the big chrome bumpers with bumperettes and rubber bumper aprons/rubber bumper trim on them.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mercedes was also spectacularly conservative with a lot of the technology they used for things such as the heating and central locking system: they were controlled by a vacuum based series of tubes, which is a technology they had been using since the early '60s.

The radios were also strangely anachronistic until at least the early '80s--they were still the chrome and pinstriped Becker Mexicos, etc. that were remnants of the '60s.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That vacuum based locking system was what drove me to sell my "72 280 SEL 4.5. What a car but it kept failing due to vacuum leaks. How I miss that biscuit colored leather interior, real wool carpet and the rich, real wood trim. The thing only had 12,000 miles on it when I bought it from a collector.

Mercedes was also spectacularly conservative with a lot of the technology they used for things such as the heating and central locking system: they were controlled by a vacuum based series of tubes, which is a technology they had been using since the early '60s.

The radios were also strangely anachronistic until at least the early '80s--they were still the chrome and pinstriped Becker Mexicos, etc. that were remnants of the '60s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics