• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dual Passport Holders

MaSoB

Reaction score
Do you hold citizenship in more than one country?

Side topic - can you recommend any good leather passport wallets that hold 2 passports well?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Three. I could possibly have picked up a fourth by marriage, but the Republic of South Viet Nam is no longer around, even if they did allow dual nationalities.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
US citizen and passport holder via birth. British citizen and passport holder from my mother.

I could apply for tri-citizenship and go Italian too, but their process is crazy I guess.

I've never seen a passport holder that holds multiple passports.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got citizenship in the US, Norway & Germany. I don't get the need for one holder capable of containing them all. I prefer to keep them seprate actually; I feel like it looks sketchy to be flipping through them at security.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I've got citizenship in the US, Norway & Germany. I don't get the need for one holder capable of containing them all. I prefer to keep them seprate actually; I feel like it looks sketchy to be flipping through them at security.

I think its kinda fun to carry more than one. Especially when a US passport doesn't get you a ton of smiles in some places.

paydirt

Reaction score
Australian/British passorts..so glad I have the British one, definitely gives alot of freedom.
I am looking for a dual passport holder also

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I think its kinda fun to carry more than one. Especially when a US passport doesn't get you a ton of smiles in some places.

carrying more than one is great. Whichever line is shorter at whatever airport, that's where you go. I just don't see the benefit of keeping both in one holder. Pickpockets, eggs in basket, etc.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
carrying more than one is great. Whichever line is shorter at whatever airport, that's where you go. I just don't see the benefit of keeping both in one holder. Pickpockets, eggs in basket, etc.

True, having both in one holder is asking for a thief.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When I looked into becoming a naturalized US citizen, I was told I would have to renounce my Canadian and give up that passport. Did the immigration attorney give me bad info? Can you actually be a US citizen and a citizen of another country? I thought this was one of those uniquely "American" things, that you cannot be a citizen of the US and another country?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dunno Pio. I was born here, so Jus soli made me American, and my other two are Jus sanguinis through my parents. I'm pretty sure my in-laws retained their Turkish citizenship when they got naturalized back in the 70s though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I need to consult an actual IRL immigration lawyer, I guess. I would like to naturalize but I would not like to give up my Canadian passport.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I need to consult an actual IRL immigration lawyer, I guess. I would like to naturalize but I would not like to give up my Canadian passport.

+1

AFAIK the US has been cool with duals and more for the last 30 years.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you are right Pio,

That being said, they don't really go through and audit your passport use. I think what typically happens is someone will have non-US nationality from a parent and they get to carry both until they are old enough to decide for themselves.

Once they get to that point, there aren't exactly people going around saying "hey you, get rid of that passport"

In your case though, the "hey you" guy might actually exist as a part of the naturalization process and you might be forced to renounce it (you will be required to state under oath that you have renounced it).

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
When I looked into becoming a naturalized US citizen, I was told I would have to renounce my Canadian and give up that passport. Did the immigration attorney give me bad info? Can you actually be a US citizen and a citizen of another country? I thought this was one of those uniquely "American" things, that you cannot be a citizen of the US and another country?

Your immigration attorney was right; however, just because the US doesn't consider you a citizen of another country and just because you've renounced citizenship from that other country, does not mean that the other country no longer considers you its citizen.

In addition, there are also some ways to become a US citizen that don't require you to renounce other citizenship, but these are rare. In my case, I became a US citizen automatically when my parents were naturalized; however, because I was under 18, I did not have to take the oath of citizenship and therefore did not have to renounce any other citizenship. So, I am now a dual citizen of the United States and Macedonia.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Once they get to that point, there aren't exactly people going around saying "hey you, get rid of that passport"

This is how I understand it as well. I've been told that the law is actually conspicuously silent on multiple-citizenship. Basically, you can have it, but the US doesn't explicitly recognize it in most cases (Israel is an exception). The idea is that whatever else you may be is immaterial: in the eyes of the govt you are a US citizen, full stop.

This may only be relevant for those of us born on US soil to parents who are imports. If you go about actively seeking US citizenship, it may be totally different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads