or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss? - Page 5

post #61 of 291
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
George Costanza's mom won't ride in a german car, and I'm pretty sure she's not the only one.

George Costanza's Mom????

Who would have imagined she'd show up as a point of reference on SF?

LMAO

post #62 of 291
As SF's current Jew In Residence, let me just say that it's ok to make fun of Nazis. It is, in fact, encouraged. People need to stop being so uptight about it.

Besides, if we started boycotting everything with Nazi connections, we'd be avoiding half the brands/manufacturers in Germany. BMW made Nazi motorcycles. Mercedes made Hitler's personal automobile. Hugo Boss, as noted, made Nazi uniforms. Bayer Pharmaceuticals supported Dr. Mengele's experiments and is rumored to have co-sponsored nerve gas research. Etc.

As someone else mentioned earlier, many of these companies have been around for hundreds of years, predating the Nazis, and basically had no choice but to continue production when Hitler came to power. The Nazis basically seized control of the entire country, and it's not as if the German private sector just shut down in that period.

When we talk about how suchandsuch company "made _____ for the Nazis," it's a slightly misleading statement in most cases. These firms didn't leap up and volunteer their services out of some particular loyalty to the party. Volkswagen is the one possible exception I can think of, but even then, come on. Water under the bridge at this point.

I suppose we should start boycotting Brooks Brothers because, at one point in time, the cotton in its shirts was probably picked by slaves?
post #63 of 291
I won't wear anything by Hugo Boss. My grandmother was jewish, and lived in eastern europe during the holocaust (far enough east to have survived), but that has nothing to do with it.

My wife knows a woman who survived Auschwitz, and was forced to sew nazi uniforms designed by Hugo Boss. My grocer is a holocaust survivor. Tattoos on his arm. The shame I would feel if he were to see me wearing a Boss suit like it's a status symbol and something to be proud of makes it impossible for me to consider buying one. I don't hate on anyone else who wears Boss, I just can't do it myself. For whatever reason, I don't feel the same aversion to other german companies, but there you go.

Also, I'm not a fan of german tailoring. Especially how they do shoulders.
post #64 of 291
Fair enough. For what it's worth, I love your forum name. Big South Park fan here.
post #65 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard View Post
As SF's current Jew In Residence, let me just say that it's ok to make fun of Nazis. It is, in fact, encouraged. People need to stop being so uptight about it.

Besides, if we started boycotting everything with Nazi connections, we'd be avoiding half the brands/manufacturers in Germany. BMW made Nazi motorcycles. Mercedes made Hitler's personal automobile. Hugo Boss, as noted, made Nazi uniforms. Bayer Pharmaceuticals supported Dr. Mengele's experiments and is rumored to have co-sponsored nerve gas research. Etc.

As someone else mentioned earlier, many of these companies have been around for hundreds of years, predating the Nazis, and basically had no choice but to continue production when Hitler came to power. The Nazis basically seized control of the entire country, and it's not as if the German private sector just shut down in that period.

When we talk about how suchandsuch company "made _____ for the Nazis," it's a slightly misleading statement in most cases. These firms didn't leap up and volunteer their services out of some particular loyalty to the party. Volkswagen is the one possible exception I can think of, but even then, come on. Water under the bridge at this point.

I suppose we should start boycotting Brooks Brothers because, at one point in time, the cotton in its shirts was probably picked by slaves?


Great point made...Ethical investment was not a concept en vogue in Germany during the thirties..

Big companies were chasing orders and the closer you were getting to the Nazis, the more money you were able to make..

It would have been impossible for any company to refuse working for the government...
post #66 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
I won't wear anything by Hugo Boss. My grandmother was jewish, and lived in eastern europe during the holocaust (far enough east to have survived), but that has nothing to do with it.

My wife knows a woman who survived Auschwitz, and was forced to sew nazi uniforms designed by Hugo Boss. My grocer is a holocaust survivor. Tattoos on his arm. The shame I would feel if he were to see me wearing a Boss suit like it's a status symbol and something to be proud of makes it impossible for me to consider buying one. I don't hate on anyone else who wears Boss, I just can't do it myself. For whatever reason, I don't feel the same aversion to other german companies, but there you go.

Also, I'm not a fan of german tailoring. Especially how they do shoulders.

post #67 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by politico View Post
SF doesn't like anything that's not a $5k Bespoke Rubinacci.(bought for $1k on FS forum)
I love a bargain price ... but finding a bargain price on something I actually want is rare. So while I love a bargain ... I mostly like full price.
post #68 of 291
Somehow, I see a "Downfall" parody here..."All you who have purchased Kiton, Brioni or bespoke leave now!"
post #69 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by politico View Post
SF doesn't like anything that's not a $5k Bespoke Rubinacci.(bought for $1k on FS forum) Everything else is trash, and needs to be treated with the disdain becoming of such pedestrian merchandise.
Absolutely not true. Style forum (or, SF for short) also loves all other Italian bespoke tailoring (and far from just suits), especially the three Caraceni operations and the two Rubinacci operations (all of these tailoring operations get equal amounts of love on SF just as much as they are equally handmade). And, SF does not just love Italian bespoke tailoring in Italy but SF also loves all Italian bespoke tailoring in many other areas of the world (especially in New York City, New York, USA and Paris, France). SF also loves a lot of English bespoke tailoring (and, again, far from just suits), especially if it is Ozwald Boateng (but only those can tolerate his outlandish fabrics) and Andrew Ramroop/Maurice Sedwell (or AR/MS for short). Both of these tailoring operations (who are just as handmade as the three Caraceni operations and the two Rubinacci operations) get equal amounts of love (and just as much love as the five Italian tailoring operations mentioned above) from SF just as much as they are equally handmade. However, Ozwald Boateng (or OB for short), again, only gets this kind of love from SF members who can tolerate his outlandish fabrics (which, apparently, is 80% of OB's production and sales). Of course, SF does not just love a lot of English bespoke tailoring in England but SF also loves a lot of English bespoke tailoring in many other areas of the world (especially in New York City, New York, USA). All of the above regarding SF's tremendous fondness (rivaling, matching or maybe even exceeding Chris Tucker's Smokey characters tremendous fondness for that wonderful drug called marijuana in the movie Friday; cannabis, FWIW, very, very, very badly needs to be legalized worldwide ASAP!!!!! , but that is a whole other topic) for all Italian and a lot of English bespoke tailoring (and, yet again, far from just suits) is particularly true if the prices are multiple thousands of Euros (Italian), Pounds (English), Dollars (in this case, USA) and all other currencies. Everything else being trash, and needing to be treated with the disdain becoming of such pedestrian merchandise in the opinions of 80-95% of the members SF is absolutely 100% true, I'm afraid. However, I am not one of them. Off topic, but Friday (1995) is now just as much of a classic as or more of a classic than Caddyshack (1980) and National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983).
post #70 of 291
*bypasses the entire thread*

Shit quality.

I wasted a few hundred on a Hugo beater suit a while back that had a retail price of over a thousand. After 4 wears it started to bubble and the lapels started to curl up. I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Hugo suit now.
post #71 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander View Post
*bypasses the entire thread*

Shit quality.

I wasted a few hundred on a Hugo beater suit a while back that had a retail price of over a thousand. After 4 wears it started to bubble and the lapels started to curl up. I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Hugo suit now.

Sorry to hear that, CharlesAlexander.
post #72 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
George Costanza's mom won't ride in a german car, and I'm pretty sure she's not the only one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #73 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
Absolutely not true.

Style forum (or, SF for short) also loves all other Italian bespoke tailoring (and far from just suits), especially the three Caraceni operations and the two Rubinacci operations (all of these tailoring operations get equal amounts of love on SF just as much as they are equally handmade). And, SF does not just love Italian bespoke tailoring in Italy but SF also loves all Italian bespoke tailoring in many other areas of the world (especially in New York City, New York, USA and Paris, France).

SF also loves a lot of English bespoke tailoring (and, again, far from just suits), especially if it is Ozwald Boateng (but only those can tolerate his outlandish fabrics) and Andrew Ramroop/Maurice Sedwell (or AR/MS for short). Both of these tailoring operations (who are just as handmade as the three Caraceni operations and the two Rubinacci operations) get equal amounts of love (and just as much love as the five Italian tailoring operations mentioned above) from SF just as much as they are equally handmade. However, Ozwald Boateng (or OB for short), again, only gets this kind of love from SF members who can tolerate his outlandish fabrics (which, apparently, is 80% of OB's production and sales). Of course, SF does not just love a lot of English bespoke tailoring in England but SF also loves a lot of English bespoke tailoring in many other areas of the world (especially in New York City, New York, USA).

All of the above regarding SF's tremendous fondness (rivaling, matching or maybe even exceeding Chris Tucker's Smokey characters tremendous fondness for that wonderful drug called marijuana in the movie Friday; cannabis, FWIW, very, very, very badly needs to be legalized worldwide ASAP!!!!! , but that is a whole other topic) for all Italian and a lot of English bespoke tailoring (and, yet again, far from just suits) is particularly true if the prices are multiple thousands of Euros (Italian), Pounds (English), Dollars (in this case, USA) and all other currencies.

Everything else being trash, and needing to be treated with the disdain becoming of such pedestrian merchandise in the opinions of 80-95% of the members SF is absolutely 100% true, I'm afraid. However, I am not one of them.

Off topic, but Friday (1995) is now just as much of a classic as or more of a classic than Caddyshack (1980) and National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983).

Friday rules.

You're a genius
post #74 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by politico View Post
Friday rules.

You're a douche. I think, or this might be some elaborate joke that I don't nderstand.

He extrapolated on your point and made the statement more accurate.

Don't you think?
post #75 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard View Post
As SF's current Jew In Residence, let me just say that it's ok to make fun of Nazis. It is, in fact, encouraged. People need to stop being so uptight about it.

Besides, if we started boycotting everything with Nazi connections, we'd be avoiding half the brands/manufacturers in Germany. BMW made Nazi motorcycles. Mercedes made Hitler's personal automobile. Hugo Boss, as noted, made Nazi uniforms. Bayer Pharmaceuticals supported Dr. Mengele's experiments and is rumored to have co-sponsored nerve gas research. Etc.

As someone else mentioned earlier, many of these companies have been around for hundreds of years, predating the Nazis, and basically had no choice but to continue production when Hitler came to power. The Nazis basically seized control of the entire country, and it's not as if the German private sector just shut down in that period.

When we talk about how suchandsuch company "made _____ for the Nazis," it's a slightly misleading statement in most cases. These firms didn't leap up and volunteer their services out of some particular loyalty to the party. Volkswagen is the one possible exception I can think of, but even then, come on. Water under the bridge at this point.

I suppose we should start boycotting Brooks Brothers because, at one point in time, the cotton in its shirts was probably picked by slaves?

Thank god, one guy with a brain.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?