or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss? - Page 3

post #31 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
But every joke contains a kernel of truth. That's what makes a joke funny.

That's why people get offended by racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc. It's because the joke contains some pre-supposed truth that minorities or women are in some way inferior.

I'm searching for the kernel of truth in this joke...I don't get it.


for at least one of the posters here it wasn't a joke.

personally, i don't get it either. what does the current Boss share with the Boss of 70 years ago in terms of management team and values?

and how many Germans today had parents and grandparents who continued drawing a salary while the Nazis were in power? should we stop associating with them too for being the descendents of collaborators?

you get on a slippery slope.
post #32 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
But every joke contains a kernel of truth. That's what makes a joke funny.

That's why people get offended by racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc. It's because the joke contains some pre-supposed truth that minorities or women are in some way inferior.

I'm searching for the kernel of truth in this joke...I don't get it.


No, just majority of people are not getting jokes. And regarding HB quality, I do own couple of suits and accessories. You got to be insane to pay $900 for 100s wool suit and $80 for their belts if you re not getting "a deal" at least half of the MSRP.
post #33 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
But every joke contains a kernel of truth. That's what makes a joke funny.

That's why people get offended by racist jokes, sexist jokes, etc. It's because the joke contains some pre-supposed truth that minorities or women are in some way inferior.

I'm searching for the kernel of truth in this joke...I don't get it.


Kernel of truth is Hugo Boss designed uniforms for Nazis.
post #34 of 291
All BMW drivers are collaborateurs and Nazi friends.
post #35 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire View Post
All BMW drivers are collaborateurs and Nazi friends.

To be fair, some BMW drivers could only have membership in the party in order to save people's lives like Oscar Schindler.
post #36 of 291
stowa and iwc made watches for the luftwaffe
post #37 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post
stowa and iwc made watches for the luftwaffe
I was referring to the Quandt family. Though they didnt own BWM during the war it became the most important company they owned after WWII. The basis for their enourmous wealth and for what they made of BWM what it is today was, at least partly, was the use of forced labour for their other companies during the Nazi time. At the Nuremberg trial it was also "forgotten" that they were involved in the arms industry. Today the still own more than 45% of BMW; it is probalby the greatest example denazification failures.
post #38 of 291
Their higher end stuff is nice...quite well constructed (I'm talking the stuff that I have only seen in their michigan ave store and not department stores).

For the price of that stuff however you could do way better elsewhere.

I was helping a friend buy a few suits and he insisted on at least looking at the Boss store. Luckily it was not our first stop and he already had seen some of the important construction bits (wanting half canvas or full canvas, etc.). He zeroed in on their nicest line as being the only thing comparable to other stuff we were considering.

They didn't have price tags on that stuff...and it was pretty much game over when the salesperson told us. Ended up getting two suits for a good deal less than half of the Boss suit (they were a slight step down in quality from the boss suit...but 1/4 the price).

The lower end boss stuff was even more of a joke for the price point.
post #39 of 291
according to sf-ers, what is worth it at retail? the vast majority of threads have the caveat, at full price you'd be insane. when i cross shop, i usually dont compare a retail boss vs clearance xyz brand. I mean boss orange stuff on sale is cheaper than a lot of banana republic stuff at retail, hell even the same price as old navy.
post #40 of 291
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by politico View Post
Kernel of truth is Hugo Boss designed uniforms for Nazis.

So anyone who wears Hugo Boss clothing is a Nazi???

Perhaps you could see how some people might take offence to that.
post #41 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
So anyone who wears Hugo Boss clothing is a Nazi???

Perhaps you could see how some people might take offence to that.

He's saying the kernel of truth is that they made clothes for Nazi's, as opposed to the kernel being that people dislike Hugo Boss for that reason.
post #42 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
Their higher end stuff is nice...quite well constructed (I'm talking the stuff that I have only seen in their michigan ave store and not department stores).

For the price of that stuff however you could do way better elsewhere.

I was helping a friend buy a few suits and he insisted on at least looking at the Boss store. Luckily it was not our first stop and he already had seen some of the important construction bits (wanting half canvas or full canvas, etc.). He zeroed in on their nicest line as being the only thing comparable to other stuff we were considering.

They didn't have price tags on that stuff...and it was pretty much game over when the salesperson told us. Ended up getting two suits for a good deal less than half of the Boss suit (they were a slight step down in quality from the boss suit...but 1/4 the price).

The lower end boss stuff was even more of a joke for the price point.

What's hugo boss's high end stuff, I thought their suit is all fused regardless which line. My early age versace and gucci (5+ years ago?) are full canvassed (made by Zegna to mainline quality, not sure how things are these days). Personally would buy hugo boss for sports wear, and shirt/tie, but that's about it.
post #43 of 291
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherlc View Post
He's saying the kernel of truth is that they made clothes for Nazi's, as opposed to the kernel being that people dislike Hugo Boss for that reason.

Exactly...that's the "joke."

He's not coming out and saying it but he's making the association.

The reader then connects the dots for himself.
post #44 of 291
Thread Starter 
The sense I am getting is that most people seem to feel that their shirts and pants are good (though perhaps a bit overpriced) but that their suits use fused material and are thus of a poorer quality.

Just out of curiousity, what do people think would be a reasonable price for a pair of Hugo Boss dress pants and for a Hugo Boss shirt.

I'm presently considering a couple of pairs of their dress pants. One pair costs about $220 and the other is $300. I'm waiting to see if these get put on sale but what do others think a reasonable price would be?
post #45 of 291
I don't like most Boss shoes I saw. The suits are not up to SF standard. Some of their ties are ok. However, I do like some of their made-in-Italy shirts. I have two with buttons replaced by myself and now they are among my favorite shirts (along with some Borrelli shirts)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?