• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DB Navy Chalk Stripe: Narrow or Wide Stripes?

Skyler

Reaction score
What looks best on a Double-Breasted navy chalk stripe suit: narrow (5/8") stripes or a wider (15/16") stripe?

I'm wondering if there any general rules concerning a DB coat and the proper width of stripes.

My sense is that the answer would be effected by my height - 5' 10" and build - medium, as well as the subtlety of the stripes themselves, which are, I would say, pretty classic: more Foreign Office, less Hollywood gangster.

Both fabrics are 9 oz. Holland & Sherry S110's that I bought years ago in London. Suit will be classic DB type: flap pockets, double vent, etc.

coltboy75

Reaction score
I favor the wider stripe for DB and the narrower stripe fro SB. I would imagine it is personal preference.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any pics of the fabrics involved..

The doublee-breasted will look great with a wider chalk stripe and the single breasted would definitively look better with a finer one...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skyler
What looks best on a Double-Breasted navy chalk stripe suit: narrow (5/8") stripes or a wider (15/16") stripe? I'm wondering if there any general rules concerning a DB coat and the proper width of stripes. My sense is that the answer would be effected by my height - 5' 10" and build - medium, as well as the subtlety of the stripes themselves, which are, I would say, pretty classic: more Foreign Office, less Hollywood gangster. Both fabrics are 9 oz. Holland & Sherry S110's that I bought years ago in London. Suit will be classic DB type: flap pockets, double vent, etc.
5/8" are perfect for both SB & DB.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of wide chalk stripes on both DB and single breasted suits

some examples:

(1) this is actually a charcoal flannel suit with a medium brown chalk stripe I photographed in
Florence at Tie Your Tie last fall....the camera flash is not picking it up properly, it was stunning

IMG_3320.jpg

(2) Kiton's CEO in a wide flannel chalk stripe (and he's a short guy)
kitonaplg.jpg

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
I favor the wider stripe for DB and the narrower stripe fro SB. I would imagine it is personal preference.

I agree. You can't go under the radar in a DB jacket, so you'd might as well go with wide stripes.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
I'm a huge fan of wide chalk stripes on both DB and single breasted suits some examples: (1) this is actually a charcoal flannel suit with a medium brown chalk stripe I photographed in Florence at Tie Your Tie last fall....the camera flash is not picking it up properly, it was stunning
IMG_3320.jpg
(2) Kiton's CEO in a wide flannel chalk stripe (and he's a short guy)
kitonaplg.jpg

Ohh that Flannel with pink is great. Zileri has the star suit of this season on a Piana super 150 ( non flannel ) quite similar. Here is me at the right , on the left a flannel one. http://yfrog.com/0ratolianoj

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Jesus.

Just get both.

- B

Don't tempt us...

We're in the middle of the first worst financial crisis of the 21irst century...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The best navy chalk out there right now is the one in the Harrion's flannel book. Stripes are on the wide side of medium. It's perfect.

Skyler

Reaction score
here's a pic... think I bought them 1985. Oldies but goodies.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the bottom one.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The best navy chalk out there right now is the one in the Harrion's flannel book. Stripes are on the wide side of medium. It's perfect.
No! It's nice. The Minnis one is perfect.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads