or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Golf Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Golf Thread - Page 102

post #1516 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post

Had a terrible up and down round today and ended up shooting 80. I don't care though because I hit my first hole in one!!!! 178yd par3. Green has a big spine in it sloping from back right to front left. Flag was on the front left. I hit a decent 8 iron to the right side of the green lands short and right on the fringe, bounces left and rolls 12 feet straight into the hole. Too bad I didn't have any witnesses shog[1].gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Never had a hole in one, but last round on a 155 yd par three where you can't see the base of the pin because it is behind the lip of a bunker, I hit straight at the pin saw it bounce and head straight then disappear. I thought fuck hole in one hole in one !!!!! but alas a yard short. My father has had 8 holes in one.

Might have had my last round until next spring, playing partners are all busy this month and we can't match up our days off. Might get in a round in November but it is usually too cold.
post #1517 of 1922
Shot 83 on Friday angry.gif

Didn't play too badly, had a couple of poor holes but mainly I just couldn't get a putt to drop must have lipped out or left short maybe 10 make-able putts, normally at least a few would have dropped.

My partner shot 101 which is pretty bad for him, but we both birdied the par 5 18th. He hit a great drive and a long iron to the green, I hit a poor drive and then a 260 yard 3 wood to the heart of the green. We both had long eagle putts which we both just missed and tapped in for birdie, so that was a good note to finish on, and keep us coming back for maybe one or two more rounds before the snow comes.
post #1518 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post

Had a terrible up and down round today and ended up shooting 80. I don't care though because I hit my first hole in one!!!! 178yd par3. Green has a big spine in it sloping from back right to front left. Flag was on the front left. I hit a decent 8 iron to the right side of the green lands short and right on the fringe, bounces left and rolls 12 feet straight into the hole. Too bad I didn't have any witnesses shog[1].gif

 

Congratulations! I only have one hole-in-one. Definitely it a moment you will remember all your life. I remember perfectly how it was and just to remember it, give me chills. Bravo!

post #1519 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post

Had a terrible up and down round today and ended up shooting 80. I don't care though because I hit my first hole in one!!!! 178yd par3. Green has a big spine in it sloping from back right to front left. Flag was on the front left. I hit a decent 8 iron to the right side of the green lands short and right on the fringe, bounces left and rolls 12 feet straight into the hole. Too bad I didn't have any witnesses shog[1].gif

Congrats, and I feel your pain about having no witnesses. The one hole in one I've had so far was during a practice round, alone. I even contemplated waiting 5 minutes for the flight behind me to catch up. Sadly I realized that this wouldnt work either smile.gif ..
post #1520 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootje View Post

Congrats, and I feel your pain about having no witnesses. The one hole in one I've had so far was during a practice round, alone. I even contemplated waiting 5 minutes for the flight behind me to catch up. Sadly I realized that this wouldnt work either smile.gif ..

Haha There is another green about 100 yards away across the water from hole I hit my hole-in-one on. Some guys were over there putting and I contemplated just yelling to them that i just made a hole-in-one, but figured it was pointless.

Fang I feel your pain on that 83. One my hole-in-one round i lipped out 6 putts and couldn't get anything outside of 4 feet to fall. Ended up shooting an 80 that day haha.
post #1521 of 1922
I was home for the weekend and decided to hit 18 each day.

Saturday I played like crap. I hadn't hit a ball in weeks let alone a course.

Sunday was FAR improved. I hit over 70% of the fairways for great distances. Putting was ON POINT, nailed a 30+ footer and several 20+'s for birdies. I also had a few chips that missed by inches, including one that hit the pin and ended up only 2 feet away for an easy save for par. I had an eagle attempt on 16 but missed short by 8 inches. The back nine I ended up only 3 over due to two double bogies and a few singles. It felt great to get into the groove again.

The weather was simply amazing and Sunday afternoon I nearly had the course to myself. I practiced chipping and putting quite a bit. Sunday really saved my weekend for me.
post #1522 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

I was home for the weekend and decided to hit 18 each day.
Saturday I played like crap. I hadn't hit a ball in weeks let alone a course.
Sunday was FAR improved. I hit over 70% of the fairways for great distances. Putting was ON POINT, nailed a 30+ footer and several 20+'s for birdies. I also had a few chips that missed by inches, including one that hit the pin and ended up only 2 feet away for an easy save for par. I had an eagle attempt on 16 but missed short by 8 inches. The back nine I ended up only 3 over due to two double bogies and a few singles. It felt great to get into the groove again.
The weather was simply amazing and Sunday afternoon I nearly had the course to myself. I practiced chipping and putting quite a bit. Sunday really saved my weekend for me.

Wish I could play two days in a row, sounds like you had a great couple of days.
post #1523 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Wish I could play two days in a row, sounds like you had a great couple of days.

Yeah, I intentionally took a quiet weekend to be with my family and hit the course before things get too cold. It didn't help that I had a softball game on Thursday, I think that's why my game on Saturday was so poor. Coincidentally, when I was striking the ball much better on Sunday it caused my softball swing to suffer at last night's game...grrrrr. I usually do a better job code-switching my swings.
post #1524 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

Yeah, I intentionally took a quiet weekend to be with my family and hit the course before things get too cold. It didn't help that I had a softball game on Thursday, I think that's why my game on Saturday was so poor. Coincidentally, when I was striking the ball much better on Sunday it caused my softball swing to suffer at last night's game...grrrrr. I usually do a better job code-switching my swings.

At least soft/baseball swings are similar, you should try switching from a cricket swing (giant slice).
post #1525 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

At least soft/baseball swings are similar, you should try switching from a cricket swing (giant slice).

Or hockey, which gives you a "natural" draw, but most of the times a hook.
post #1526 of 1922
I find cricketers tend to have a hook swing because they set up with their hands way ahead of the ball.
post #1527 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwazer View Post

I find cricketers tend to have a hook swing because they set up with their hands way ahead of the ball.

A cricket swing shows the full face of the bat down the line of the ball (not like a golf swing where the face opens and closes like a swinging door) this promotes an outside to in swing and thus a slice. If you've ever fielded in the off side in a cricket match you'll notice that anything played with a vertical bat in the arc from about cover to anywhere behind square will impart a slice spin on the ball.

Also you should set up with your hands in front of the ball, it de-lofts the club and promotes a downward blow.
post #1528 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

A cricket swing shows the full face of the bat down the line of the ball (not like a golf swing where the face opens and closes like a swinging door) this promotes an outside to in swing and thus a slice. If you've ever fielded in the off side in a cricket match you'll notice that anything played with a vertical bat in the arc from about cover to anywhere behind square will impart a slice spin on the ball.
Also you should set up with your hands in front of the ball, it de-lofts the club and promotes a downward blow.

Yeah but when some cricket players incorporate their cricket batting technique into a golf swing by setting their hands way ahead of the ball and pull the club to the inside, the result is a hook. This may be exaggerated due to a strong right hand which batsmen tend to have.

But I do understand your point from a strictly cricketing perspective.
post #1529 of 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwazer View Post

Yeah but when some cricket players incorporate their cricket batting technique into a golf swing by setting their hands way ahead of the ball and pull the club to the inside, the result is a hook. This may be exaggerated due to a strong right hand which batsmen tend to have.
But I do understand your point from a strictly cricketing perspective.

What you say about batsmen "incorporating" their batting technique into their golf swing certainly makes sense, but I'm talking someone who knows how to swing a golf club and has a relatively conventional grip, stance, ball position etc.

Also most good batsmen have a strong top (left) hand, left elbow high, foot to the pitch of the ball, middle the ball on the up, keep it on the turf. It's textbook classic checked drive. A strong right hand tends to come into play more with cross bat shots, but that doesn't effect the back lift (back swing). Also batters with a strong bottom hand tend to be those with a low backlift (of course there are exceptions Collingwood perhaps), or those that drive in the air, or hoick it to cow corner i.e. tail enders not batsmen. So yeah maybe some cricketers display the swing that you are talking about but I would bet most of them are bowlers not batsmen. I can also imagine a batsman with an open close technique like Kepler Wessels for example developing a hook golf swing but a classical batting technique definitely promotes a slice golf swing if the player is setup with a conventional golf stance etc.
post #1530 of 1922
It is interesting though.

Ricky Ponting is a very good golfer. He plays off 3 at the championship course in Australia.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Golf Thread