or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Golf Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Golf Thread - Page 94

post #1396 of 1950
Fantastic pics!

I am a follower of the Japan Golf Tour and Toru Taniguchi.
post #1397 of 1950
Looks like a fantastic time!

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a Rainmate?
post #1398 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress View Post

Looks like a fantastic time!
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a Rainmate?

I was thinking the same thing...

Looks like a fairly tight course with lots of trouble. From those pictures those roughs look to be low to mid height and normal thickness compared to the stuff I usuallyplay on (not terribly well kept, but inexpensive tracks). I think that'd be a pretty fun/interesting course to play.

I didn't go to the range Wed night, but went last night and hit 250 balls or so. I hadn't hit anything in over a week and my PW was horrible. I didn't know what it was, everything was missing HARD right, immediately off the face, in an embarassing fashion. I got incredibly frustrated, switched to a 5i and swung very hard and had some great shots. Went up to 3i and same thing, some good shots, nothing missing hard right. Went back to PW and it went back to the garbage.

After 100 balls I was tired and frustrated so I took a breather. After slowly deconstructing my swing I realized I wasn't clearing my hips fast enough, therefore my hands and club face were INCREDIBLY open. Once I cleared my hips and brought my right hand around harder, I was back to hitting my baby draw shots with all my irons; more distance too.

I was crushing my driver, thank god. Dead straight and 3/4 of the way up the mash 200 yards out (it was hot and humid last night). The ball would either not even be at it's apex or just hitting it when it got to the rear:

post #1399 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress View Post

Looks like a fantastic time!
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a Rainmate?

It's a drying closet, you put your shoes, socks, wet weather gear in there after the first 9, have lunch and everything is dry before you hit off for the back 9. (it rains/drizzles a lot here).
post #1400 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

I was thinking the same thing...
Looks like a fairly tight course with lots of trouble. From those pictures those roughs look to be low to mid height and normal thickness compared to the stuff I usuallyplay on (not terribly well kept, but inexpensive tracks). I think that'd be a pretty fun/interesting course to play.
I didn't go to the range Wed night, but went last night and hit 250 balls or so. I hadn't hit anything in over a week and my PW was horrible. I didn't know what it was, everything was missing HARD right, immediately off the face, in an embarassing fashion. I got incredibly frustrated, switched to a 5i and swung very hard and had some great shots. Went up to 3i and same thing, some good shots, nothing missing hard right. Went back to PW and it went back to the garbage.
After 100 balls I was tired and frustrated so I took a breather. After slowly deconstructing my swing I realized I wasn't clearing my hips fast enough, therefore my hands and club face were INCREDIBLY open. Once I cleared my hips and brought my right hand around harder, I was back to hitting my baby draw shots with all my irons; more distance too.
I was crushing my driver, thank god. Dead straight and 3/4 of the way up the mash 200 yards out (it was hot and humid last night). The ball would either not even be at it's apex or just hitting it when it got to the rear:

The fairways are not particularly tight by Japanese standards, but still tight. Trouble is an understatement, on most holes the tree line is just inside OB. Also I don't think the pics do justice to the rough, you can literally lose a ball a yard off the fairway. On the other hand it is quite short, I can drive a few of the par 4s and most of the others I'll drive to withing a wedge/9 iron. (If I hit it straight that is). All of the par 5s are Eagle-able.

How often do you hit the range? I've only been able to manage about once every 2 weeks, gotta get out there more often. The place I go to has two floors and about 180 bays.
post #1401 of 1950
Cart elevator in action.
post #1402 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

The fairways are not particularly tight by Japanese standards, but still tight. Trouble is an understatement, on most holes the tree line is just inside OB. Also I don't think the pics do justice to the rough, you can literally lose a ball a yard off the fairway. On the other hand it is quite short, I can drive a few of the par 4s and most of the others I'll drive to withing a wedge/9 iron. (If I hit it straight that is). All of the par 5s are Eagle-able.
How often do you hit the range? I've only been able to manage about once every 2 weeks, gotta get out there more often. The place I go to has two floors and about 180 bays.

So short and thick (lol, that's what she said)?

At my "home" course I've had so many eagle opportunities and still haven't gotten one in. I've only been playing since last May so I figure I'll get mine soon enough.

Last summer, when I was in a relationship, I hit the range 2-3 days a week. Now with a busy social schedule I'm lucky to go once a week. Chelsea Piers has 4 floors, but it isn't wide, so maybe 50 to 60 bays in total? We do have those fancy pants Japanese automatic ball tee'ing apparatus with cards that track how much money you have left to for range balls.

I also got to use my putter on the HARD AS CONCRETE practice green (it feels like green faux grass carpet over concrete) and the Portofino is just butter. Such a smooth impact and the ball just comes off the face effortlessly with the right sound. Lining up the shot is surprisingly easy, considering there are no sightlines, only a dot. After 5 balls to get used to the weight and sighting I was just rolling in shot after shot from all different angles. Love it.
post #1403 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

So short and thick (lol, that's what she said)?
At my "home" course I've had so many eagle opportunities and still haven't gotten one in. I've only been playing since last May so I figure I'll get mine soon enough.
Last summer, when I was in a relationship, I hit the range 2-3 days a week. Now with a busy social schedule I'm lucky to go once a week. Chelsea Piers has 4 floors, but it isn't wide, so maybe 50 to 60 bays in total? We do have those fancy pants Japanese automatic ball tee'ing apparatus with cards that track how much money you have left to for range balls.
I also got to use my putter on the HARD AS CONCRETE practice green (it feels like green faux grass carpet over concrete) and the Portofino is just butter. Such a smooth impact and the ball just comes off the face effortlessly with the right sound. Lining up the shot is surprisingly easy, considering there are no sightlines, only a dot. After 5 balls to get used to the weight and sighting I was just rolling in shot after shot from all different angles. Love it.

Nice, let us know how the putter goes on course.

In Japan the fancy pants Japanese automatic ball tee'ing apparatus were all installed in the 80s so now they either don't work or are held together with gaffer tape. I prefer not to use them anyway because I like to practice my routine on most shots.
post #1404 of 1950
Played in a charity tournament yesterday and played decently well. Best shot was a 315 yard fairway wood into the green on a par five. Longest I have ever hit a non-driver. Felt awesome.
post #1405 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post

Played in a charity tournament yesterday and played decently well. Best shot was a 315 yard fairway wood into the green on a par five. Longest I have ever hit a non-driver. Felt awesome.

315? What was the loft on that wood? Elevation change?

That's a hell of a shot. The longest I've ever hit was a 3w 17* FW to ~280 with a 10 ft elevation drop, wet fairways/greens though.

*edit* 315 FW to a green makes me think you either had an uncharacteristically short drive (somehow on the Fairway) or you're playing a 600+ yard monster Par 5 from the tips, or both.
post #1406 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

315? What was the loft on that wood? Elevation change?
That's a hell of a shot. The longest I've ever hit was a 3w 17* FW to ~280 with a 10 ft elevation drop, wet fairways/greens though.

No elevation change. It's a no-name fairway driver with a 9 degree loft. It's super low profile and just feels like the easiest club in my bag to hit, one that I can always rely on. As a bonus, it only cost $10.00 from this liquidation store.
post #1407 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post

No elevation change. It's a no-name fairway driver with a 9 degree loft. It's super low profile and just feels like the easiest club in my bag to hit, one that I can always rely on. As a bonus, it only cost $10.00 from this liquidation store.

9* on a FW? That's bizarre...
post #1408 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

9* on a FW? That's bizarre...

Probably why it was $10. I've never seen another club like it, but as I said, it's super easy to hit.
post #1409 of 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post

Probably why it was $10. I've never seen another club like it, but as I said, it's super easy to hit.

Is it easy to hit?

The clubhead must be quite shallow.
post #1410 of 1950

Hmm never seen this thread before so I may chyme in from time to time, Im pretty avid golfer (+2 handicap and play for my University).. Anyone have any picks for the last two rounds of the PGA?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Golf Thread