• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirting Fabric- Is Acorn still the best bet?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A search reveals 3 topics on this with just a couple of responses, all of which state that Acorn in the UK is the best (only?) option for good quality shirting in small quantities and whom are willing to sell to the public.

I'm just floating the question out here again; whether in NY, LA or online are there any resources similar to Acorn that sell to the public?

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I have contacted multiple shirt makers and Thomas Mason Silverline is approximately $55 a yard and Ferno is $55 for the low end and $75 for the high end (120/140's).

mimile

Reaction score
I just received 4 fabrics from Acorn. This is a really amazing quality. Take a look at their website and if you are interested in some patterns, James Chatburn (the owner) would send you a price list. Their prices list UPS services. You would be surprised to see that their prices are extremely affordable. Furthermore, they always have some sale items for half price. Really a deal.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ask him where the fabric was woven!
not that there is anything wrong with fabric woven in either India or the Czech Republic.

My real issue these days, is that they are selling fabric to the general public at about the same rate as they are to the trade.

Limniscate

Reaction score
Approximately, how much fabric is required per shirt?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limniscate

I require 2 yards to be on the safe side, and I'm not terribly large (between 38 and 40 R).

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I require 2 yards to be on the safe side, and I'm not terribly large (between 38 and 40 R).

What tailor do you use?

hst

Reaction score
What are the prices of Acorn fabric 2x80, 2x100 like?
I take it that they sell to individuales all over the world via UPS as opposed to just dealing only with trade.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limniscate

From Acorn's website:

Depending on the width of the fabric, we usually recommend 3.00metres of our 90cms (36") width shirtings or 2.00metres of our 150cms (60") width fabrics. Of course this is for an average build, taller customers or customers with a large chest, stomach, shoulders etc will need more fabric. If you are unsure about this, either contact us for further details or consult your shirtmaker.

daruma

Reaction score
is the 36" fabric any better than the 60"?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QUOTE:
Depending on the width of the fabric, we usually recommend 3.00metres of our 90cms (36") width shirtings or 2.00metres of our 150cms (60") width fabrics. Of course this is for an average build, taller customers or customers with a large chest, stomach, shoulders etc will need more fabric. If you are unsure about this, either contact us for further details or consult your shirtmaker.

You can almost make a suit with that much fabric.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
QUOTE:

You can almost make a suit with that much fabric.

I agree. I have experience buying cloth back when I used to live in India. I used to buy 2.25 meters of the 36" width fabric to be on the safe side. I am 5'7 with a 38 inch chest. The 36" width is the standard size in India. A few mills like century cotton used to have the 60" width.
I don't exactly remember how much fabric I used to buy for the 60" width - probably 1.75 meters.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Acorn makes 36" and 58" fabrics? Dont they make fabrics in 44"?
I have heard more apparel makers are moving towards 58" fabrics because there is less loss when making a garment. For tailors, I heard 44" is easier to handle.

Acorn might be the best widely known shirting manufacturer but there are others especially in Japan that people dont know. 120/2, 140/2, 160/2 are made here.

As Shirtmaven has said, mills dont sell direct to the general public.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads