or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › GQ's essentials for fall
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GQ's essentials for fall - Page 5

post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovan
I'm sorry, $175 for jeans (once I checked the website!) is NOT affordable for most of the people reading.

actually, I bet that it is. After all, the magazine is geared towards fashionistas and clothes whores, whom 99% of which have no problems spending $175 for jeans. Just look at all the geezers with $300+ jeans in the streetwear section, on Supertalk, on GQforum etc
post #62 of 69
I also doubt that most readers have $175 to spend on jeans. They could probably afford it--indeed I could--but would never pay that much--nor would I. As with virtually everything in these magazines I think most people look at the clothes and see what is new. Then they take what they see and attempt to add a look or two into their own wardrobe. Buy an overcoat like that, find a hoodie to wear with it. Buy a plaid shirt and pair it with something similar. Etc. Ahem, 'clothes horse' is the phrase I believe. bob
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Ahem, 'clothes horse' is the phrase I believe.
bob


lol, I always heard it as "whores"

*but i still stand on the majority of readers being able to buy $175 jeans!!!
post #64 of 69
I always used found a way to use parts of both phrases using "clothes horse" and "shoe whore".
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
lol, I always heard it as "whores"

*but i still stand on the majority of readers being able to buy $175 jeans!!!
I really think magazines like GQ, Cigar Afficionado, Robb Report, et al are all geared toward the aspirational market.
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovan
Well, voting for the Democratic Party seems pretty sound advice to me...

Only thing I'll never abide about GQ is its insistence that certain brands are "affordable". I'm sorry, $175 for jeans (once I checked the website!) is NOT affordable for most of the people reading.


Honestly did not mean my comment as a pro or anti-political party statement. Just that when I've read the last few months issues of GQ I have often wondered if someone suck a copy of "The Nation" in the midst of the issue.

As far as tying your comment on the jeans to others about "aspirational" tone of the magazine, I think it's sort of a sad commentary that GQ is about aspiring to be able to afford a $175 pair of blue jeans?
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd
As far as tying your comment on the jeans to others about "aspirational" tone of the magazine, I think it's sort of a sad commentary that GQ is about aspiring to be able to afford a $175 pair of blue jeans?

I am aspiring not to want to buy $175 blue jeans anymore. I have been going through my closet in preparation for an upcoming move and I am really beginning to realize how nuts this hobby is.

K
post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd
Honestly did not mean my comment as a pro or anti-political party statement.


I agree completely, though. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool liberal and I get tired of reading GQ's politically-minded articles and snipes. I want to read about men's clothing and style, not politics. Even if they agree with mine.

That's why a magazine like Menswear is so great--nothing but clothes.

bob
post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I agree completely, though. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool liberal and I get tired of reading GQ's politically-minded articles and snipes. I want to read about men's clothing and style, not politics. Even if they agree with mine.

That's why a magazine like Menswear is so great--nothing but clothes.

bob


For example, I am a long-time subscriber to The Sporting News. I'm really not interested in reading about a team or player and having the theme of the article being about the team/players position on Iraq, homosexual marriage (Ozzie Guillen notwithstanding!) or any other political issues. To read about some "hot" young star/let who has strong positions on John Kerry or George W. Bush in the middle of GQ is sort of off-putting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › GQ's essentials for fall