or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › question on a jacket
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

question on a jacket

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
i just got a zegna mtm single breast, peak lapel, double vent, jacket and was wondering how far down down it should hang on me. right now it goes almost to the bottom of my fingertips when my arms are at my side. is that too long?
post #2 of 6
It was MTM and it comes down to your fingertips? It should go down to beginning of your wrist to allow shirt cuff to show. That is definitely too long -- if it was MTM'd for you, someone made an error.
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchapel
It was MTM and it comes down to your fingertips? It should go down to beginning of your wrist to allow shirt cuff to show. That is definitely too long -- if it was MTM'd for you, someone made an error.
I believe he's talking about body length and not sleeve lentgh. Jacket should come right to where your butt stops and legs start with and extra 1/2 inch IYAM.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchapel
It was MTM and it comes down to your fingertips? It should go down to beginning of your wrist to allow shirt cuff to show

I believe that he's referring to the length of the jacket, not the sleeve length
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfny
I believe he's talking about body length and not sleeve lentgh. Jacket should come right to where your butt stops and legs start with and extra 1/2 inch IYAM.

Ohh that would make more sense. In that case, I agree with you.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ......2
i just got a zegna mtm single breast, peak lapel, double vent, jacket and was wondering how far down down it should hang on me. right now it goes almost to the bottom of my fingertips when my arms are at my side. is that too long?

I personally don't believe in a hard & fast rule for jacket length such as the one being quoted by some of the respondents here. While on average, they're about right, it really comes down to what looks good on you.

This is a function of your build, height and overall proportions and, to a lesser extent, those of the jacket. I'd advise you to simply look in the mirror and gauge whether it looks too long. If in doubt, pin it slightly shorter and re-judge.

Or post a full-length pic and let members here attempt the same, minus pins...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › question on a jacket