or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › squats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

squats - Page 17

post #241 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post
People were giving me dirty looks at the gym when I was doing this. Now, I use chucks...
Yeah well those people are probably the same ones using the power rack for bicep curls.
post #242 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post
People were giving me dirty looks at the gym when I was doing this. Now, I use chucks...
yea, barefoot feels the best but the ppl working at my gym always bitch. i picked up some badass looking wrestling shoes on clearance which will hopefully be better than my squishy aisics.
post #243 of 253
If you guys are serious about squatting, I highly recommend dropping $100 for a good pair of weightlifting shoes.

Chucks and the like are better than something with a compressible sole, but the 1/2 - 3/4 inch heel of a good weightlifting shoe makes all the difference for squatting. I dont know exactly what it is, but my form just falls into place when I use the shoes.
post #244 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post
If you guys are serious about squatting, I highly recommend dropping $100 for a good pair of weightlifting shoes. Chucks and the like are better than something with a compressible sole, but the 1/2 - 3/4 inch heel of a good weightlifting shoe makes all the difference for squatting. I dont know exactly what it is, but my form just falls into place when I use the shoes.
The short response to this is it depends on what type of squatting you're doing. Each shoe has its purpose. The long response is that certain things, most notably long femurs and narrower stances (but also including ankle mobility and other body proportions), affect your center of gravity when you squat. If, using your preferred stance, you find it hard to keep pressure through your heels while reaching depth without falling over backwards, then lifting shoes can be a great help. If you have little-man levers, it doesn't matter as much, and if you squat wide, the chuck is preferable.
post #245 of 253
I love squatting.
post #246 of 253
why not go barefoot with socks on?
post #247 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomax View Post
why not go barefoot with socks on?

...what?
post #248 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post
If you guys are serious about squatting, I highly recommend dropping $100 for a good pair of weightlifting shoes.

Chucks and the like are better than something with a compressible sole, but the 1/2 - 3/4 inch heel of a good weightlifting shoe makes all the difference for squatting. I dont know exactly what it is, but my form just falls into place when I use the shoes.

hmm, I thought the whole point was to have no heel lift. Regular running shoes, and practically any athletics shoes (other than chucks or other old sneakers) have a heel height of 1/2 - 3/4 inch
post #249 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
hmm, I thought the whole point was to have no heel lift. Regular running shoes, and practically any athletics shoes (other than chucks or other old sneakers) have a heel height of 1/2 - 3/4 inch

The only reason the heel on regular shoes is a problem is that the heel is compressible. Lifting shoes have solid (frequently wooden) heels.
post #250 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

This is a great image - thanks
post #251 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
hmm, I thought the whole point was to have no heel lift. Regular running shoes, and practically any athletics shoes (other than chucks or other old sneakers) have a heel height of 1/2 - 3/4 inch

For deadlifts that's the case, but for squatting a bit of a heel lift would help to keep the weight on your heels and off the forefoot and toes.
post #252 of 253
Gents, the answer is simple: vibram five fingers. Once you lift With them, you won't consider anything else.
post #253 of 253
I lift in VFFs (my only pair of "athletic shoes") and I'd trade them in for proper lifting shoes in a heartbeat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › squats