or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Harvard Club New York City
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Harvard Club New York City - Page 4

post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
and what do you guys think about Cornell Club, please say somthing nice

unlike everything else Cornell, the gym is quite affordable for the area. But I get the feeling it's sort of a safety gym...
post #47 of 66
Do the UCs have exclusive clubs? I need to seriously reconsider "alumni" benefits.
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Inside the place it's a mix of old and modern (the hotel/dorm operation) but the reading rooms are quite nice.

There is a good story about how many years ago the Weld family donated a John singer sargent painting called the chess players to the HCNY. He wasn't popular back then as he is now. The club auctioned it off for many millions and bought the building next door (now the modern wing). A replica of the original chess players painting hangs in the Weld room. You should check it out the next time you are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
I occasionally box with Ricky at the Harvard Club.
Who's Ricky? Richard chin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
How hard was it to get Domino's delivery past security for any client meetings?
Don't know about Dominos but the Red Flame a few doors down will deliver. Seriously. The HCNY kitchen is closed on the weekends.
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Roma,

I saw the NY Yacht Club and liked that building as well. MMW did some buildings at UVA so perhaps I like the HV architecture better because of that.

Also in NYC
http://www.harvardsailingteam.com/
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post
Who's Ricky? Richard chin?
Ricky Hendricks
post #51 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post
There is a good story about how many years ago the Weld family donated a John singer sargent painting called the chess players to the HCNY. He wasn't popular back then as he is now. The club auctioned it off for many millions and bought the building next door (now the modern wing). A replica of the original chess players painting hangs in the Weld room. You should check it out the next time you are there.

I saw it. Had some time to kill and wandered the halls. Thanks for the backstory on the building acquisition.
post #52 of 66
I had lunch there with my boss, his boss (who was an alum) and a client in the mid-90's. At one point I leaned over and quietly said to my boss, "Do you think Harvard guys shot all these animals?" He said, "No, they hired people to do it for them."

Funniest thing that cold-fish prick ever said.
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat View Post
Do the UCs have exclusive clubs? I need to seriously reconsider "alumni" benefits.

No. We public school boys (in the American sense) are more humble than our betters.
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
I saw it. Had some time to kill and wandered the halls. Thanks for the backstory on the building acquisition.
I heard a follow up story from an acquaintance. Apparently he likes to use an ancient treadmill (situated in the modern wing) that the former MA governor William Weld likes as well and they compete for use of that machine. On one occasion he was waiting for the ex-governor to finish running on the treadmill and Weld said something like "keep on waiting - I paid for all this".
post #55 of 66
Thread Starter 
Looks like I will be back at the Harvard Club in June. We secured several follow-up meetings.
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
I think the University Club is a bit more interesting. You should be able to find pictures online. Of note are the member's reading room, main dining room, library and of course the entry. The room off of the entrance to the left is interesting too.

Just realized that the two clubs had the same architect, Charles McKim, though each with a different style.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/TEN/TEN-clubs.htm
post #57 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Just realized that the two clubs had the same architect, Charles McKim, though each with a different style.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/TEN/TEN-clubs.htm

McKim is prominent on many buildings on that list.
post #58 of 66
Thread Starter 
Stanford White, business partner, designed the Cabell and Rouss Hall buildings at UVA as well and he rebuilt the Rotunda in 1898 after it burned down.
post #59 of 66
The Brown Club pwns.
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
The Brown Club pwns.

I already noted this fact earlier in the thread.


- B
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Harvard Club New York City