or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Too Dressy for Business?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Too Dressy for Business? - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Thread Starter 
So if the consensus is to be aware of your environment, etc. etc. and ease into the work place, would you say it be better to wear what I have and let them get used to it OR start with the standard wardrobe and then ease my way into it?

Based on what you all have said, I'm resigned to the fact that certain articles of clothing just won't be worn altogether (pastel bowties, etc. hahaha), but it would be really disenchanting to feel that just as my wardrobe is starting to get interesting, I have to throw it all out the door. Is that what "growing up is all about"?
post #17 of 35
If there is no real dress code (i.e. the person who told you was generalizing) then just wear your clothes as if you were going out any other day. Don't let the fact that you're at work change anything (except for maybe those pastel bowties!).
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorebusiness View Post
So if the consensus is to be aware of your environment, etc. etc. and ease into the work place, would you say it be better to wear what I have and let them get used to it OR start with the standard wardrobe and then ease my way into it?

personally i would ease my way into it. I'm not sure there's any solid logic behind that though, i just prefer not to make a scene as the new guy.
post #19 of 35
At the Company that I work for here in New York, it seems that as you move up you are expected to dress nicer. Pretty much the executives are the only ones who wear suits. I am lower than whale shit, but I still wear one every day. They say dress like your boss's boss, right?
post #20 of 35
Like a previous poster says, if your comfortable wearing it, then let people get used to you. It is your life after all.

Display yourself as you wish, particularly to the positive.

I'm Tx located also and maybe one of a couple out of 500 who wear a suit each day. Frankly, I dont give a f*ck.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettloffah View Post
personally i would ease my way into it. I'm not sure there's any solid logic behind that though, i just prefer not to make a scene as the new guy.

+1.

As someone earlier in the thread mentioned, it's definitely not a Texas-specific thing (I live in Fort Worth and worked in Dallas for years); it's a specific corporate culture (or even an office-specific culture) thing.

For the first day, I'd wear something very "middle of the road", maybe charcoal pants and a conservatively patterned dress shirt. It's probably dressier than the unpressed chinos and golf shirts you're likely to see on 90% of the guys at your employment level, but not to the point that you're "that new guy wearing the sportcoat". Within a day, you'll have a good idea what the general range of dress is around there. Then you can situate yourself on the uppler end (but not the extreme) and focus on fit, color, pattern, quality, etc..

I worked at an office a few years ago where everyone dressed fairly well (by Dallas standards, dress shirts and dress pants) during the week, but wore jeans on Fridays. Since I had come from a suit and tie job before, I felt (and still do feel) more comfortable wearing chinos on casual Friday. But, I was politely pulled aside one day and told "Everyone wears jeans on Friday (emphasis on everyone).". In my current position (finance for a local branch of a multinational company), I'm one of maybe 3 (of roughly 50 men total) who wears wool dress pants on a regular basis.

In summary, every office is different. Find out what the proper dress code range seems to be, then do you your best to follow it, but utilize quality, color, pattern, and fit to make it your own.
post #22 of 35
I don't think it's a good idea to openly disobey a dress code, even if it's only a suggested one. You need to pick your battles; this isn't one of them. You could always just wear a SC and take off your jacket when you get in. You'll still be a well-dressed man if you have fitting shirts and trousers.
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to openly disobey a dress code, even if it's only a suggested one. You need to pick your battles; this isn't one of them.

You could always just wear a SC and take off your jacket when you get in. You'll still be a well-dressed man if you have fitting shirts and trousers.

+1 but wear good shoes and keep them cleaned and polished. This way you'll get your shoe wardrobe established for your climb up the ladder.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to openly disobey a dress code, even if it's only a suggested one. You need to pick your battles; this isn't one of them.

+1
post #25 of 35
i think a suit is acceptable.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post
We on SF (and other like-minded people) represent the last bastion of those who care about the importance of dressing well and the enjoyment that comes with it, not only to ourselves but to others as well. It is our painful task in life to sometimes teach and encourage others to keep it alive. Who doesn't like the sight of a well dressed man or woman?
You bring up human nature. Let's go one step further and bring up nature entirely.
Where one assumes the role of the prey, another will assume the role of the predator.
Dress as a slave and you will be treated like one.
Dress for success and have an agreeable, approachable personality, and you'll be fine.
A license is required to drive a car and perhaps a license should be required to wear decent clothing; or learn how to handle the confrontations with some humour and playful assertion.

To be fair, were I to work for a good firm that offers a decent wage and benefits but asks that I take off my tie, I will gladly do so since it is a job worth keeping and a small price to pay.
Were that the case, I will wear the tie to and from work, but not while at work.
It may be one way to comprimise and still enjoy the nicer clothes.
A company (with mature management) worth working for however, is more concerned about performance. How one presents him/herself in at work is part of that performance.

post #27 of 35
I'll also say it's not a Texas thing. I work at a small office in Atlanta and the boss wears a suit and most everybody else in the office wears a polo shirt and a suit only on certain occasions (a client visit). Sometimes when I wear a sport coat I still get comments on how "professional" I look. This is also true because I'm younger than everybody else in the office.
post #28 of 35
The best advice to anyone living in Texas in any situation is to get the hell out...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...tes-us-history
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post
The best advice to anyone living in Texas in any situation is to get the hell out...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...tes-us-history

I don't know why everyone is so upset about this. It's being taught in schools--it's not like anyone is actually going to learn it.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to openly disobey a dress code, even if it's only a suggested one. You need to pick your battles; this isn't one of them.

You could always just wear a SC and take off your jacket when you get in. You'll still be a well-dressed man if you have fitting shirts and trousers.

I agree with this suggestion. If you are confident and friendly, you can push the envelope a bit, but, given the dress code, a suit is probably too much.

As for the suggestion that you ease into it, I would actually say that, whatever you decide to go with, do it from day one. People will just think that's how you are. If you start changing how you dress after a couple months, it will stand out more and people will think there is some other reason for it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Too Dressy for Business?