• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When & How to wear spectator shoes

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
I love spectator shoes. I have a pair of black and white cap toes and a pair of brown and white wingtips. However, I just never have the opportunity to wear them.....or perhaps I should say that I rarely feel that it's appropriate to wear them as they are so flashy (or at least will be perceived as such).

For those of you who have and love spectators, when do you wear them, and with what outfit do you wear them?

Hopefully your stories will help me be brave enough to wear my spectators more often!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elegantgentleman
I love spectator shoes. I have a pair of black and white cap toes and a pair of brown and white wingtips. However, I just never have the opportunity to wear them.....or perhaps I should say that I rarely feel that it's appropriate to wear them as they are so flashy (or at least will be perceived as such).

For those of you who have and love spectators, when do you wear them, and with what outfit do you wear them?

Hopefully your stories will help me be brave enough to wear my spectators more often!

Spectators were first created for sports. Golf made them popular. So they're appropriate to go to sport events (goft, polo, etc.,...), country clubs, summer outdoor (cocktail) parties and the like.

Of course other casual events should be fine now too. Like a picnic in a park with your families, a walk with your wife, etc....

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I will, forever, only be a spectator.

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments thus far. I'm slightly disappointed though, I must say. I thought that with this group I would get a whole bunch of photos of people's spectators and of you wearing your spectators.

I like the idea of wearing them with more casual clothes though. I've tended to wear mine whenever I felt like I was wearing more of a 30s-40s outfit (pinstripe suits, 3 pieces, etc.) but I guess that lends it more of a costume-like feel as opposed to wearing the shoes as part of your regular wardrobe.

Phat Guido, those brown and white cap toes look spectacular. Would you mind telling me where you got them?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments thus far. I'm slightly disappointed though, I must say. I thought that with this group I would get a whole bunch of photos of people's spectators and of you wearing your spectators.

I like the idea of wearing them with more casual clothes though. I've tended to wear mine whenever I felt like I was wearing more of a 30s-40s outfit (pinstripe suits, 3 pieces, etc.) but I guess that lends it more of a costume-like feel as opposed to wearing the shoes as part of your regular wardrobe.

Phat Guido, those brown and white cap toes look spectacular. Would you mind telling me where you got them?

Well, I don't typically carry a camera around photographing myself in public. Thought some do, I understand. I think part of your problem is that you've put them into too small a box (so to speak). I wear mine a lot with linen trousers in the summer to go out to a restaurant. Perfect for a late Saturday afternoon happy hour on the patio of your favorite pub/eatery/bistro. Sunglasses, glass of wine or cocktail of your choice, some finger foods and good friends.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm slightly disappointed though, I must say. I thought that with this group I would get a whole bunch of photos of people's spectators and of you wearing your spectators.

Forgive us, m'lord, for disappointing you. Let me make reparation by providing two links:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Astylefor...Style+Forum%22

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...55&postcount=1

clintonf

Reaction score
I was polishing my shoes today and I just thought "why not"....

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Forgive us, m'lord, for disappointing you. Let me make reparation by providing two links:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Astylefor...Style+Forum%22

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...55&postcount=1

laugh.gif
That first link was hilarious. But no matter what anyone says, I am a special flower.

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
I was polishing my shoes today and I just thought "why not"....

Very nice. The exact opposite of the colour combination that I have for my two pairs.

How did you go about polishing them? I use brown or black polish on the matching coloured parts and then I use white Meltonian cream on the white leather.

Some have suggested using a neutral polish for the whole shoes which seems easier, but I haven't yet tried it. I'm also not sure if that keeps the white leather looking bright.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own 5 pair of spectators of differing types. I get a good deal of use from them.
Some things that work for me:

1. flat front khakis -tan and white /stone
2. Seersucker -blue / grey -usually just pants as it gets hot here soon
3. the shoes do the work -everything else gets toned down
4. shirts / white or light up top -helps balance the white below -ginghams in lt. blue /khaki /brown work well imo
5. keep the socks simple

I wear them mostly to evening out to dinner -I know its not an evening shoe -but I'm talking about going to the casual restaurants. I also wear them in early parts of the school year when weather is still hot.
Fall brings in yet more two tones like the G&G Astaire which work well with flannels.

clintonf

Reaction score
Funny you mention this, it was difficult to polish them.

The first thing that I have done is spray the suede/nubuck parts with some protector, that will help with any polish that may "go astray".

I have some green cream that I use on the green pair. I did use neutral polish on the green ones, but they left a pretty nasty white residue. It took a while to get it removed.

I also have some tan polish that I use on the tan shoes.

So, you see that I polish the sections separately. If there are any spills, I wipe it off quickly with water.

I've also got an eraser that I use on the white parts and that helps a lot.

In truth, I have another 3 pairs of specs and if I had more money I'd have another 3 pairs.

I hope that this helps.

Clint

Very nice. The exact opposite of the colour combination that I have for my two pairs.

How did you go about polishing them? I use brown or black polish on the matching coloured parts and then I use white Meltonian cream on the white leather.

Some have suggested using a neutral polish for the whole shoes which seems easier, but I haven't yet tried it. I'm also not sure if that keeps the white leather looking bright.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads