or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Has Borrelli lowered his quality this season?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Has Borrelli lowered his quality this season? - Page 5

post #61 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
Winston you're a 15.75? What suit size do you normall wear may I ask?

Reason being I'm a 16 but to try to slim it up a bit I also ordered a few 15.75s as the neck size is on .25 difference. Or are you normally a 16 or you wear the two sizes interchangeably?


I hope 15.75 is not my incorrect fit as there is this graphite bengal stripe and a red/blue plaid sport shirt I want to get in 15.75 (no 16). Crossing my fingers

I consider myself to be a size 16 collar, but I (apparently) have a large neck for my size and typically a 15.75 will fit me better in the body (and even then sometimes they can be too big) so I buy that size for shirts I know I'll never want to button to the top. Not that I can't button the collar on a 15.75, I just prefer a little extra room for comfort.

I'm around a 38 - 39 suit size. At my largest I was a 40 and at that time I found 16.5 shirts a little tight.
post #62 of 94
You're a 38-39 in suit but a 15.75 in body (disregarding the neck) I would suspect even the 15.75 shoulder would slope over a little bit over your shoulders? Because if the shoulders fit on the 15.75 I don't know how you can squeeze into a 38 suit jacket?

42 suit and 16 neck
40 suit and 15.5 neck
38 suit and 15 neck
Is what I thoiught was like the arrangement of the suit and shirt sizes.

Or if I'm wrong and getting this all confused maybe I'm supposed to be wearing a 16.5 shirt (but the body and shoulder and neck is slightly large on me. And suit 40 is too tight and suit 44 is too big)
post #63 of 94
Us Europeans have thick necks. I am a straight up US 40 with a 16.5 neck in shirts (this is for the MTM).

I am a little amazed though about the discussion as in my humle view the Italian makers are all but consistent in sizing. I have Borrelli's in 16 that fit exactly right, but also some 15.75 that I can close properly. As said by Winston, if the 15.75 fits in the neck I prefer this for the body. Attolini , Barba and Finamore are equally inconsistent. Sometimes I can fit in a 15,75 sometimes I need even a 17.
post #64 of 94
Good point.
I'm hoping the 15.75s run inconsistently in my favor so I can keep them. One is a blue houndstooth, and another one a blue with white stripe 50/50 cotton linen made for stanley korshak.

I'm more concerned about the shoulders though than anything else. 16 falls perfectly in the shoulder I wouldn't want it riding up on top any further. If it's a quarter inch on both sides ill live.
post #65 of 94
Sho'nuff, where did you order your shirts?

Also, didn't you recently order some size 16 Borrelli shirts from VCH? How did they work out for you?

Size 15.75 Borrelli shoulder width is perfect for me.
post #66 of 94
Most people who wear suits sized 38, wear shirts sized 39 / 15.5.
post #67 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston View Post
Sho'nuff, where did you order your shirts?

Also, didn't you recently order some size 16 Borrelli shirts from VCH? How did they work out for you?

Size 15.75 Borrelli shoulder width is perfect for me.

I ordered all of them from vch recently. (Past 3 weeks). The 16s are perfect. Shoulder seam right at the corner: not on top, not sloping any down
Neck is perfect, chest is perfect

Hoerver there are some designs that only came in 15.75 not 16 so I wanted to get them and see (ordered them couple days ago).
I don't mind the neck is smaller where I can barely button top because some of these are sport shirts.
Just worried about the shoulder. Hope they don't ride too much up on the shoulder


If most 38s wear 15.5 then most 42s should wear 16.5? I can't see that because 42s fit me and 16.5 would be a bit too longin shoulder (and too blousy as well).
post #68 of 94
If the size 16 fits perfectly then it's possible that the 15.75 will be too small.

Although sizing can be inconsistent, there is a general pattern to how Borrelli shirts measure out in their respective sizes, so you should familiarize yourself with the measurements at a site which provides them, such as shopthefinest.

Size 16 generally measure 19.75 across the shoulders and 47-48 in the chest while the 15.75 measure 19-19.25 across the shoulders and 45-46 around the chest. But there are exceptions.
post #69 of 94
I recently ordered a Borrelli shirt which I believe is from this year and I have to say I am a little disappointed in the fabric compared to other Borrelli shirts I have purchased in the past. I hope they get it together.
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston View Post
If the size 16 fits perfectly then it's possible that the 15.75 will be too small.

Although sizing can be inconsistent, there is a general pattern to how Borrelli shirts measure out in their respective sizes, so you should familiarize yourself with the measurements at a site which provides them, such as shopthefinest.

Size 16 generally measure 19.75 across the shoulders and 47-48 in the chest while the 15.75 measure 19-19.25 across the shoulders and 45-46 around the chest. But there are exceptions.
Ok thanks
post #71 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston View Post
Size 16 generally measure 19.75 across the shoulders and 47-48 in the chest while the 15.75 measure 19-19.25 across the shoulders and 45-46 around the chest. But there are exceptions.

I assume you are referring to shirts for the US market here, because this is not my experience with Borrelli (at least the ones bought in Europe). Take of 2 inches of the chest would be a closer estimate.
post #72 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
I assume you are referring to shirts for the US market here, because this is not my experience with Borrelli (at least the ones bought in Europe). Take of 2 inches of the chest would be a closer estimate.
I'm going by the measurements of the Borrelli shirts at shopthefinest, which I always assumed were mainly European models, as well as my own size 15.75s, and what I've seen on ebay (US and Euro ebay). Borrelli shirts listed by Italian sellers, when measurements are given, match up to the STF sizing which I listed above. For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-380-BORRELLI...item3cad85000d
post #73 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
are these hand stitched button holes or machine?



Damn, looks like Filenes it is for the last batch of Borrelli's that were true Borrelli's. I was about to list all my Borrelli's for sale (some nwt) but after reading this it sounds like pre-2008 Borrelli's are going to be a sought after item.
post #74 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitonotik View Post
Damn, looks like Filenes it is for the last batch of Borrelli's that were true Borrelli's. I was about to list all my Borrelli's for sale (some nwt) but after reading this it sounds like pre-2008 Borrelli's are going to be a sought after item.

what do you mean here, you mean the filenes had last batch of trrue borrellis? and you mean pre 2010 i would assume


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
I assume you are referring to shirts for the US market here, because this is not my experience with Borrelli (at least the ones bought in Europe). Take of 2 inches of the chest would be a closer estimate.



Quote:
Originally Posted by winston View Post
I'm going by the measurements of the Borrelli shirts at shopthefinest, which I always assumed were mainly European models, as well as my own size 15.75s, and what I've seen on ebay (US and Euro ebay). Borrelli shirts listed by Italian sellers, when measurements are given, match up to the STF sizing which I listed above.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-380-BORRELLI...item3cad85000d

the thing that confuses me about Wicky he gets some shirts (like finamore and such) that are 16 neck at 44 in the chest and so forth (the last finamores he sold a couple of months ago), these run really tube like.
so if those are the euro ones, how are the ones we have run 47-48 in the chest? (and i just measured mine, they are confirmed around 47.5 in the chest and however a 9.5 inch armhole) they still run sort of slimming though.

im wondering if wicky gets his from a local store where he's at that gets specific specs made for borrellis (and finamores) just for that store?
(kind of like the borrellis made for stanley korshak here, they run a bit slimmer than the regular NM and other US market borrellis)
post #75 of 94
What I meant by "the last true Borrelli's" are that filenes is getting a lot of backstock on Borrelli's that were never sold or were over bought in places like, Korshak, Mitchel's, Louis Boston, etc. Up until now all the Borrelli's I've seen at filenes have the thick mother of pearl buttons, with the hand sewn button holes, hand sewn sleeves and cuffs, the LB gusset and the vertical (not horizontal) booklet.

Last time I went to Neimans they had the new lower quality Borrelli shirts that are being discussed here...with the newer (wider and thinner) buttons. They still had some older Borrelli's on display along with the new ones and boy was the difference obvious. So keep your eyes peeled for Borrelli at filenes, here on SF, or on ebay...cause the pre 2010 shirts are going to be harder to find.

I have not seen any new Barba or Finamore shirts, but at ShTheFi there seems to be a lot of the older stock of shirts, and I am tempted to load up in case these two makers also go the way of Borrelli.

I hope Kiton doesnt follow in this business model of lowering standards and keeping prices the same, it just wont cut it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Has Borrelli lowered his quality this season?