• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life after university is depressing...

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I graduated university 2 years ago and something started happening... everyone I went to school with started going their separate ways. Alot of them are in living in different places or at different places in their lives, like getting married.

Meanwhile, I'm here on my own. If I scrolled through my cell right now to find someone to hang out with, I could probably find 2 people. I'm single and just plain hating it. It gets pretty depressing to just go to work and come home. Even if I want to go on vacation and get away from it, who would I go with? Lately I've been thinking I should go on one of those contiki tours, but even then it might be a little weird for me to go by myself.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel your pain, buddy.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Dude this is not hard. Figure out what you like to do. Join a club based around that activity. Go to club meetings or whatever. Voila. You have friends that at least have on area of interest that you do.
The reason you're depressed is because all you do is come home and do nothing. It's boring. It's not living. I'd be depressed as well.

dhaller

Reaction score
Two main solutions to this:

(i) Gaming - nothing like the Tuesday night WoW raid to achieve that sense of collegiate camaraderie!

(ii) Strip Clubs - there's a reason why divorced middle-aged guys hang out at strip clubs... *existential despair*.

In seriousness, it's just a matter of getting involved; hobbies, clubs (the interest kind, not the soulless meat-market kind), amateur sports leagues. Check out Meetup.com and see what local groups support some of your interests.

College is "fun" because you're in geometric proximity to a large population of people your age with a similar set of experiences and interests - if you can replicate that via groups and events, you're set.

DH

legit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhaller

In seriousness, it's just a matter of getting involved; hobbies, clubs (the interest kind, not the soulless meat-market kind), amateur sports leagues. Check out Meetup.com and see what local groups support some of your interests.

This is how it is.

Also, if you want to find people to date... don't discount the online dating websites. Maybe you'll find someone to go on those vacations with you.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the first 50% of men get married due to pressure, the last 50% of men get married because they don't have anyone left to hang out with

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude. We live in Edmonton. ***** depressing here. Make your millions and then GTFO. lol

darkdream

Reaction score
Well at least your life during university was fun. I am loaded with max units each session and always in class or studying for the exams or quizzes I have each week, but I am an economics and a mathematics/computer science major with a minor in physics. That is how it is. Usually co-workers can not be friends since you are in essence in competition for the promotions nor bosses because of brown nosing. Well you could make friends with others you collaborate with. Or go find a hobby and meet other people with the same interests.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
the first 50% of men get married due to pressure, the last 50% of men get married because they don't have anyone left to hang out with

This is brilliant.

Originally Posted by Jekyll
It's no better before university.

I disagree. At least before university/in university, no matter how bad things are, you think to yourself "things will be different after university." After university you think "things were better back then."

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens to most people eventually after college. You'll find new friends, many find people at work, sports clubs, meetup.com, etc. And what is your cell? Are you in prison? That might be the problem.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Even if you and your friends went separate ways, you could still meet up for a vacation. As for the day to day, just get out there and do something. There are so many groups out there, it's ridiculous. What is your profession?

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wellcome to the real world.

But the worst of it is when all your friends get married and you don´t get any friend left to go around .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads