• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miller's Oath

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From GQ.com:

Kirk Miller"”who up until January had partnered with brother Derrick on the skull-and-crossboned shoe label/dandyish haberdashery Barker Black Ltd."”has just opened a not-to-be-missed New York store of his own. Miller's Oath, a 750-square-foot space on a tree-lined block of Greenwich Street, offers full bespoke and made-to-measure services and is "loosely based on our great-grandfather's store in Groton, South Dakota," says Miller, who cut his teeth working with Thom Browne and Paul Stuart. The store carries a collection of ready-to-wear shirts and accessories along with a line of handmade and fully customizable suits, shirts, tuxedos, trousers, and topcoats"”or, according to the man himself, "the full range of what a well-dressed gentleman should have in his wardrobe."

Open by appointment: 510 Greenwich Street, New York, NY; 212.219.9965. Suits starting at $2,700; shirts starting at $275.

Read More http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq...#ixzz0npnVaTF5

MO%20Back%203.jpg

millers-oath7.jpg

millers-oath4.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The collars on those shirts look quite nice, but they're pretty pricey.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump - more pics:
millers-oath-portrait.jpg
millers-oath01.jpg
millers-oath08.jpg
millers-oath05.jpg
millers-oath11_628.jpg

elgreco

Reaction score
In all seriousness, what is different about Miller's Oath versus the 8 million other haberdasheries cropping up?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
millers-oath01.jpg

That's a neat looking jacket.
Originally Posted by elgreco
In all seriousness, what is different about Miller's Oath versus the 8 million other haberdasheries cropping up?
The fact that this is happening at all is a good enough reason, yes? We are, after all, on Style Forvm.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is very little.

Basically you have a VERY knowledgeable individual who is willing to be a style/clothing guide to another person, for a fee.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
The fact that this is happening at all is a good enough reason, yes? We are, after all, on Style Forvm.
Wait what? I thought this was a comic book board!! DAMNIT! I don't disagree that having a plethora of options out there for menswear is an embarrassment of riches for us all. However, I just didn't see offhand what MO was doing specifically that was different from what places like Sid Mashburn, Epaulet, etc. have been doing for some time now.
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Basically you have a VERY knowledgeable individual who is willing to be a style/clothing guide to another person, for a fee.
So you'd argue what we're seeing is actually an increase in personal haberdashery services to young professional men, where the menswear sold is more of an incident to the services offered?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How many of these are in New York City?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The stick-on labels on the hangers!

millers-oath08.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing very new or interesting - certainly does not justify bumping - quiet burying down below best.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Did you notice the third one from the right?

Of course I did. I'm actually in NYC a couple of weeks from now so I might go check it out in person.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Most of those jackets look a little noisy to me. Mind, I'm 5'5", and have to avoid the dreaded PeeWee Herman syndrome.

Poinz

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only a couple of inches taller than you are, and I've found (through experience) that the cut and silhouette of the jacket matter a lot more than the patterns themselves. That's not to say that you cannot have flattering patterns; just that the effect of "shortening" patterns is overrated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads