• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a 17 year old identify the staples every wardrobe should have

Simion505

Reaction score
I have a good dress sense, bought about (I guess) by my talent in art and painting. However, I guess this could be to do with my age, I don't really have an idea of what will always look good as opposed to what will be wearable for a season and then fall out of fashion. I guess I have an instinctive idea of what is fashionable from observing what others wear. So I'd really appreciate your help with what I should buy to get a solid collection of clothing started
smile.gif
Assume I don't have anything. I'd also appreciate advice with these shoes:
1269024749-18385500.jpg
http://www.repertoirefashion.co.uk/m...=froogle#24041 I'm aware they've become quite fashionable recently, but I like them aesthetically. Will they always looks stylish if worn well? Cheers

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where do you work? How much do you weigh?

Also, your pic isn't showing up.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't need wardrobe staples until you're 25. I've got:

Dress shirts
Chinos
Jeans
Dress and Casual Shoes
A Few T-Shirt

and I'm so over-dressed for university its untrue. Pick what you like, then when you're an "adult" start to find your groove. Otherwise you'll spend a bucket of cash and never wear half the stuff.

Edit: Also remember that the average age of this forum is quite high. Asking them to dress a 17 year old is a bit like asking a financial advisor to invest pocket money. (Thats an analogy, not an insult)

Flight Bird

Reaction score
This forum isn't as much about being "trendy" and moving with what designers put out season by season or moving with the flock. In fact many people on Styleforum prefer a more classic look, but will always encourage you to dress how YOU want to dress. That said there is sometimes a right and wrong to dressing yourself. For instance anything Ed Hardy is thought of as disgusting and sheepfolkish (although if you DO like that brand I recommend an eye/brain checkup soon!).

This Streetwear section of Style forum loves high-end denim, specifically raw or unwashed jeans. These jeans will fade as you wear them, and many people will wait months to wash them, as doing so will increase the contrast of fades.

But eff this, you want recommendations, and so I say move your thread to the "recommend me a piece of clothing thread" (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=107280). I'd say, start with a nice pair of raw denim.

What's your price range?

Simion505

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Where do you work? How much do you weigh?

Also, your pic isn't showing up.

I don't have time for a job at the moment due to commitments, so my money is pretty limited. Think stores like Uniqlo, Topman, H&M... that kind of price range (though I'm willing to spend more if its really nice and will last better).

I'm 6 ft 3, weigh 175 pounds or (about) 78 Kilograms. I'm pretty skinny.

I think my sense of style has nearly matured... I mean I like the look of brogues as a form of casual shoe

Simion505

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flight Bird
But eff this, you want recommendations, and so I say move your thread to the "recommend me a piece of clothing thread" (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=107280). I'd say, start with a nice pair of raw denim. What's your price range?
Ah, I worry I'm being misunderstood. I don't want reccomendations to specific items of clothing per se - I trust myself to pick the style I like, I'm simply asking - be it chinos, brogues, flannel shirts - what styles of these clothing can I look for than will last (i.e. not go out of fashion) - fashion costs to much and I'd much rather use clothing as another way of expressing my taste than follow a crowd. Cheers for the link - though I don't really require anything so specific. As for specific brands... I don't have any brand loyalty (just a distaste for Jack Wills and the like) EDIT:
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Noobs with less 50 posts shouldn't start new threads.
Cheers for the warm welcome dude. I'm sure you'd much rather me make this thread than make 50 ignorant and mis-informed posts in other peoples' threads.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simion505
Cheers for the warm welcome dude. I'm sure you'd much rather me make this thread than make 50 ignorant and mis-informed posts in other peoples' threads.

There is a simple search button on top, it takes less than 10 seconds to get what you are looking for. Rather than clogging up the first page, just use the search function.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try googling Rocco Sifredi. Affordable Italian style. DEFINITELY for a younger market.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some people on this forum leave their manners at home. What he is trying to say is, there are threads that you can post your questions to - there are many that are designed for this purpose. When you post a new thread, it takes up space at the front page. People come to styleforum for discussion, not to act as a concierge service to new folks.

I assure you he would much rather you post in other threads than make a new one.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
Some people on this forum leave their manners at home. What he is trying to say is, there are threads that you can post your questions to - there are many that are designed for this purpose. When you post a new thread, it takes up space at the front page. People come to styleforum for discussion, not to act as a concierge service to new folks.

I assure you he would much rather you post in other threads than make a new one.

Thank you

Simion505

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Try googling Rocco Sifredi. Affordable Italian style. DEFINITELY for a younger market.

My sister has a few of his pieces... can I just ask: how am I supposed to wear them? Forgive my stupidity.

Flight Bird

Reaction score
Ah, I worry I'm being misunderstood. I don't want reccomendations to specific items of clothing per se - I trust myself to pick the style I like, I'm simply asking - be it chinos, brogues, flannel shirts - what styles of these clothing can I look for than will last (i.e. not go out of fashion)

Oh ok! You want pants, shirts, and shoes. Underwear is nice too...

But really, until you've lurked/posted a while you have NO IDEA what you really want.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician

LOL!!!

and
facepalm.gif
at another one of these

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads