or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Project Runway 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Project Runway 3 - Page 3

post #31 of 139
I've been watching the show. My favorite part is the instant deadlines. Draw some ideas , we'll be back in an hour. That's great training. It also shows a couple of truths:
1. What you think sucks may actually work.
2. Be carefull what you propose, you may have to live with it.

I love the brutal critiques! Its a nice balance to all the "drama".
post #32 of 139
Some great talents cannot work under those enviroments. For example, Charles James, the absolutely superb American couturier, used to work on a single sleeve for 2 months at a time. He would seize clothing from his clients' closets at any time because he felt the initial effort was inferior.
post #33 of 139
I watched the last one of those because the finalist, and winner was from Houston and she was a friend of some friends kinda thing....but damn, honestly I thought everything all of those people made completely sucked. Why can't they just design normal clothes for normal people to wear?
post #34 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Some great talents cannot work under those enviroments. For example, Charles James, the absolutely superb American couturier, used to work on a single sleeve for 2 months at a time. He would seize clothing from his clients' closets at any time because he felt the initial effort was inferior.

I'm actually a bit wary of people that seek such a high level of perfection. Frank Lloyd Wright was known to keep a close eye on his work, and alter or remove some of the clients things if he felt they didn't work within the aesthetic of his designs.
post #35 of 139
im kind of tired of all the team challenges this season - i am used to being able to see like 12 different designs and clothes on the runway, it feels like we're being cheated out when there's only 3 or 4 because of the whole team thing. once was enough, i think.
post #36 of 139
Last Night Episode Recap The challenge was to modernize the look of a fashion icon both past and present. The spin of this challenge was that the models chose the designer they wanted to work with. Two models were eliminated since Keith was kicked off and Bonnie was "auf'd". The models then picked the fashion icon they wanted to work with. The Fashion Icons were: Madonna Cher Audrey Hepburn Twiggy Pam Grier Diana Ross Jackie Kennedy Katherine Hepburn Farah Fawcett Marilyn Monroe - I think thats all of them. The guest judge was Diane vonFurstenburg who reminds me of an aging Vegas showgirl. The winner was Michael with his outfit inspired by Pam Grier. The loser was poor Bradley who had no prior knowledge of Cher (He was picked last from the models and Cher was the leftover fashion icon for "obvious reasons"). His outfit that was described by Heidi as "a Halloween costume that you would buy...at a mall" had the lowest score.
post #37 of 139
Cher is a difficult one since her look is entirely unconventional whilst the others are rather common.
post #38 of 139
I was glad to see Michael win, he's gone under the radar for being recognized, but every outfit he's done has been solid. So far my top 3 would be him, the cute platinum blond from NY, and Laura the older rich former architect.
post #39 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I was glad to see Michael win, he's gone under the radar for being recognized, but every outfit he's done has been solid. So far my top 3 would be him, the cute platinum blond from NY, and Laura the older rich former architect.

I was with you right up until you said Laura. I can't stand her stuff. Anyway, I was also happy to see Michael win.

Strange facts about Saucemaster: his "Now Playing" list on TiVo recently featured The Contender, immediately followed by Project Runway. There were no other reality shows to be seen.

I don't know what that makes me.
post #40 of 139
I agreed with the judges that the shorts were pretty much perfect. I think he should have won. In general, I get annoyed that so much of the judging is based on beauty and sexiness. Not a fair reflection of the actual high fashion world (though it is a fair reflection for fake fashion like Victoria's Secret, which is not surprising considering the host). Also, Michael KORS is really annoying to me. He is in no way an authority.
post #41 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I was with you right up until you said Laura. I can't stand her stuff.


I like Laura's stuff, but as I've said before, I think she's a one trick pony. Everything's the same. I think if they asked her to design something to make a 5'4" 140lb woman look good, she couldn't do it. Everything with her is tall and slim 1930s high society. It's her dream.

Michael did a good job and deserved that win. I was most afraid, though, that Angela would win with her "update" of Audrey Hepburn. I love AH and hated to see her get her.


b
post #42 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I was most afraid, though, that Angela would win with her "update" of Audrey Hepburn. I love AH and hated to see her get her.
I couldn't agree more. My fiancee knows of my affection for Audrey, and saw the episode a day before I did. She told me what the challenge was, I asked if Audrey Hepburn was one of the icons. She said yes, but she had a slight hesitation when she said it. My immediate response was "oh no, Angela got her, didn't she?" She just grinned. I couldn't believe the judges liked her outfit so much. The cut of the dress itself was decent, but can you see AH in something with those stupid little doilies attached that Angela seems to like so much? Ugh.
post #43 of 139
Quote:
The cut of the dress itself was decent, but can you see AH in something with those stupid little doilies attached that Angela seems to like so much? Ugh.

You of course mean her "signature rosettes."
post #44 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I like Laura's stuff, but as I've said before, I think she's a one trick pony. Everything's the same. I think if they asked her to design something to make a 5'4" 140lb woman look good, she couldn't do it. b

true, but many designers are like that. I think that's why I like Laura, what she does, she does well and she definitely has her own personal aesthetic which in itself could carry her to final 4. I dont think any designers' couture collections could make a 5'4" 140lb woman look good. I thought her last outfit for the re-interpretation of icon challenge was a decent departure from her previous efforts, which all seemed to include some kind of fluffiness/fur.
post #45 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
You of course mean her "signature rosettes."

haha and if I remember right it was Michael and Laura in that team challenge that got her to use those in the *right* way (as a detailing rather than main point of interest). If it werent for them, she'd still be making garish outfits with rosettes plastered all along the neck, down the back and around the ass.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Project Runway 3