or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thoughts on this suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts on this suit?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-495-NWT-Paul-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been looking for a similar suit for a while, kind of a black or dark navy suit with a sort of pinstripe that makes it look like alternating black/blue stripes, after seeing a suit like that once. I've never been able to find anything that similar, the closest has probably been a crepe blazer by Boss that I saw in Saks, but I would like something with a smooth fabric, I figured this might fit the bill, how is construction on the PS stuff?
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-495-NWT-Paul-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been looking for a similar suit for a while, kind of a black or dark navy suit with a sort of pinstripe that makes it look like alternating black/blue stripes, after seeing a suit like that once. I've never been able to find anything that similar, the closest has probably been a crepe blazer by Boss that I saw in Saks, but I would like something with a smooth fabric, I figured this might fit the bill, how is construction on the PS stuff?


nice.
post #3 of 16
drizzt3117,

That's a very good price for a new Paul Smith suit. They push close to $2000 Cdn at Holt Renfrew in Vancouver.

PS suits are not in the quality as Kiton, Brioni etc. but from what I've seen, they are better than 98% of the suits out there. Better than BOSS, about the same as Armani.

It will be difficult to find another off-the-rack suit with that type of pattern. If you like it and if it fits, I would suggest you take the plunge. I doubt it will last long on eBay at that price.

Best of luck,

LBW
post #4 of 16
That is a really beautiful suit. Love the pattern. I'd get in on it if I were you! Best of luck winning the auction.
post #5 of 16
It's a nice suit and the price seems about right.
post #6 of 16
This is a Paul Smith "London" line suit. So basically, it's crap, heavily fused. And notice the ugly keyhole shaped lapel buttonhole. Paul Smith London line has been consistantly declining in quality with each years, with price rising accordingly.
The cut is nice however.

!luc
post #7 of 16
Glue.
post #8 of 16
This suit looks like it was made by the same company that made my Claudia Wells suit. Very similar style and cut. If that's the case, as others have pointed out, it is a fused suit. But the construction is very good and the fabric is wonderful.

post #9 of 16
$425 is a good price for a new PS London suit. Yes they are fused (mainline collection are full canvass) but I wouldnt say they are "crap" just because it's fused. They are definitely better made than most suits in the same level. I'm sure the fabric is great, as I've never seen bad PS suit material and of course, the fit will be tremendous.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
$425 is a good price for a new PS London suit. Yes they are fused (mainline collection are full canvass) but I wouldnt say they are "crap" just because it's fused. They are definitely better made than most suits in the same level. I'm sure the fabric is great, as I've never seen bad PS suit material and of course, the fit will be tremendous.
Sorry GetSmart, but the keyhole lapel is a big detract for me. These suits (the luxury line) are about 800 euros here. I really like the cut of Paul Smith suits, although I find the jackets to be a bit too long.

!luc
post #11 of 16
They were definitely cut a bit long the last few seasons. I noticed that some of this f/w line is a bit shorter and more in-line with my proportions. It sucks when one detail (like the keyhole) overwhelms one's distaste. I know I've shyed away from quite a few items that I loved except for one thing that bugged me so much I couldnt live with it.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
They were definitely cut a bit long the last few seasons. I noticed that some of this f/w line is a bit shorter and more in-line with my proportions. It sucks when one detail (like the keyhole) overwhelms one's distaste. I know I've shyed away from quite a few items that I loved except for one thing that bugged me so much I couldnt live with it.
yeah, small details which you are likely the only one to notice but are bugging you so much you just can't see anything else. I know the feeling

!luc
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Sorry GetSmart, but the keyhole lapel is a big detract for me. These suits (the luxury line) are about 800 euros here. I really like the cut of Paul Smith suits, although I find the jackets to be a bit too long.

!luc

Luc, I think we're about the same height and I do agree that most of Paul Smith's offering are definitely cut too long for us, however what fits, fits very well indeed.

Drizzt: Get the suit, it's an usual pattern, a nice cut and a good price. And fusing is the new black anyway
post #14 of 16
Check the measurements carefully; Paul Smith suits are cut very trim. In most makers I wear a 38L or 40L, but 42L in PS fits me.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I wasn't talking about getting that exact suit on ebay, it's not in my size, but I figured I could track one down either on ebay or elsewhere.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thoughts on this suit?