or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › I got laid off today :-(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I got laid off today :-(

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Apparently my company was doing much worse than anyone realized because 6 positions were eliminated today (about 10% of total management), mine being one of the 2 highest level jobs lost.

The President of the company was obviously nervous in his meeting with me, making it clear that this was not performance related, but rather a cost-cutting move. I bit my tongue rather than suggest that fixing his crappy management techniques would be a smarter move than laying people off - and instead gave him the Japanese silent-negotiating technique, staying quiet even when he stopped talking until he got uncomfortable enough to start talking again just to fill the space.

Fuck it - there was nothing to say. They gave me 4-weeks pay as a severance package although I think I'm going to have to argue with them to pay out my unused vacation time.

Tomorrow I start contacting my former (local) clients and see if they have any openings. I'm also putting the word out to friends and contacts to see what's available.

Wish me luck!
post #2 of 50
Good luck man. That's a pretty raw deal. All the best to you; hopefully, this will end up being a blessing in disguise.
post #3 of 50
Sorry to hear this.

Good luck with your hunt.
post #4 of 50
Tough break, Bradford. There will be the understandable anxiety when one has a mortgage, family, etc. But from my experience, "when God closes a door, He opens window". Most of my greatest opportunities have come from what I thought was a great tragedy.

Keep the faith, buddy. Who knows? With the severance, etc, you may end up with a little Christmas-in-July bonus!!
post #5 of 50
Oh no. Well, maybe this will be the impetus for you to explore some of the possibilities you talked about before. Good luck!
post #6 of 50
aww damn dude, im really sorry to hear that. im gonna be a bastard now (sorry) but knowing that you are a PR or somesuch, you may have a 'no approaching former clients for positions' within 6-12 months clause in your contract, which undermines your plan to contact them if so. anyhow, that aside, really am sorry to hear it Brad, and truly hope you land on your feet in very short order. Matt
post #7 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
aww damn dude, im really sorry to hear that.

im gonna be a bastard now (sorry) but knowing that you are a PR or somesuch, you may have a 'no approaching former clients for positions' within 6-12 months clause in your contract, which undermines your plan to contact them if so.
Matt

Contract - what contract?

I haven't actually read the severance agreement (or signed it yet), but I doubt they're going to be jerks about it. It was a telephone fundraising company, so they'd still get the business. http://www.mdscom.com. I could do development and fundraising for one of their old clients and make them do work for me.

Plus - I do have lots of dirt on the owners (the President) if it really got nasty
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford
Contract - what contract?

I haven't actually read the severance agreement (or signed it yet), but I doubt they're going to be jerks about it. It was a telephone fundraising company, so they'd still get the business. http://www.mdscom.com. I could do development and fundraising for one of their old clients and make them do work for me.

Plus - I do have lots of dirt on the owners (the President) if it really got nasty
ok, like i said, sorry to be the bastard who brings up the legalities of it, and certainly do hope for your sake it never comes to any of that. best wishes mate
post #9 of 50
Sorry to hear of this Bradford. Best of luck. You might just find something better.
post #10 of 50
Sorry to hear that you were let go, Bradford. Best wishes.
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford
I bit my tongue rather than suggest that fixing his crappy management techniques would be a smarter move than laying people off - and instead gave him the Japanese silent-negotiating technique, staying quiet even when he stopped talking until he got uncomfortable enough to start talking again just to fill the space.

Good move. Your silence probably told him everything you wanted to say.

Good luck. Being forced to fall back on your own resources could end up being better in the long run.
post #12 of 50
Bradford,

really sorry to hear that. if it gives you any hope- my recent setbacks in my career ended up getting me into a position which was really my dream job, so with any luck this little setback will work out for you.

I have a huge library of books on the job search. if you are interested, I would be happy to send them off to you. pm me if interested.
post #13 of 50
Sorry to hear it. But don't let your self worth take a hard knock - sometimes we forget we are more than our jobs.
post #14 of 50
Brad, don't think of yourself as unemployed. Just think, now you have more time to moderate the CE forum!

But seriously, hope your unexpected turn turns out for the better. If you need a reference let me know.
post #15 of 50
sorry to hear it. just saw a PBS show on philosophy last night, the theme was 'Nietzsche on Hardship'. (think 'that which does not kill us makes us stronger' expanded to fill 30 minutes.)

/andrew
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › I got laid off today :-(