or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › How to tell if I can let the waist/seat out on a pair of pants
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to tell if I can let the waist/seat out on a pair of pants

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I have a pair of Our Legacy trousers, and I was wondering how I would be able to tell if it was possible to let out the waist. It has extra material inside of the seat, but my tailor told me that it wasn't died/washed the same color, so it would look odd/off.

It definitely feels like there's room in the waist to let out.
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasec View Post
I have a pair of Our Legacy trousers, and I was wondering how I would be able to tell if it was possible to let out the waist. It has extra material inside of the seat, but my tailor told me that it wasn't died/washed the same color, so it would look odd/off.

It definitely feels like there's room in the waist to let out.

you answered your own fucking question in your post for fuck's sake
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Ugh, allow me to elaborate.... As far as I can tell, the material inside the pants looks exactly the same. Here's a picture: Just wondering if my tailor may have been mistaken, that's all. No need to act like a dick.
post #4 of 19
It's pretty odd they'd include that rear seam if a tailor couldn't successfully put it to use. But from that pic, I really can't tell whether there is a difference in color. Ask the tailor for clarification!
post #5 of 19
It looks to me as if it can be let out at least an inch or two, but depending on the fabric type and how much you've worn it, a line might show where the previous seam was.
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I haven't worn them at all. I'm actually thinking about returning the pair I have now and sizing down, then (hopefully) having a tailor let them out an inch or so.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasec View Post
No need to act like a dick.

I'm dead sure Uncontrol didn't mean it like that. Must be a premenstrual syndrome or something...
post #8 of 19
Thomasec if you end up not being able to exchange but still want a smaller size I've got those exact pants in medium if you want to buy them :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Tee* View Post
I'm dead sure Uncontrol didn't mean it like that. Must be a premenstrual syndrome or something...

Sometimes I wonder if people who make these jokes have ever met a woman, a gay, or a tranny, ever at all outside of their imagination, because none of those three look anything like uncontrol.
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by naaaaate View Post
Thomasec if you end up not being able to exchange but still want a smaller size I've got those exact pants in medium if you want to buy them :]



Sometimes I wonder if people who make these jokes have ever met a woman, a gay, or a tranny, ever at all outside of their imagination, because none of those three look anything like uncontrol.

Thanks naaaate, but I actually have the mediums. Looking to get the small and let them out since the fit in the thighs is pretty relaxed.

Going to ask another tailor today.
post #10 of 19
maybe you should just buy a different cut of pants?
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post
maybe you should just buy a different cut of pants?

I love literally everything about these, with the exception of the fit in the thighs.

I figure I can either size down and let out the waist, or just take them to a tailor. Simple as that.
post #12 of 19
Tailoring the thighs is roughly the same price (if not a few dollars cheaper) as letting out the waist. You'll save yourself time+headache if you keep your current pair.
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance View Post
Tailoring the thighs is roughly the same price (if not a few dollars cheaper) as letting out the waist. You'll save yourself time+headache if you keep your current pair.
Thanks for the input. This thread suggests the opposite, and I tend to think that if the waist is supposed to be flexible, the pants will look more natural if the thighs are left as-is.
post #14 of 19
I think the issue with those pants is that they are overdyed. If you decide to let out the seat, you will most likely wind up with two thin white stripes running up your butt because the overdye wouldn't likely have been as dark inside the seam. I think you'd be much better off keeping the larger size and taking in the legs.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasec View Post
Thanks for the input. This thread suggests the opposite, and I tend to think that if the waist is supposed to be flexible, the pants will look more natural if the thighs are left as-is.
My tailor charges around $30 for waist/seat alterations and somewhere around $25 for thighs. And considering your tailor has already told you the waist alteration would result in a different colored fabric being exposed, the less-expensive thigh alteration is probably the way to go.

And why do you believe a certain waist size necessitates a certain thigh size? Because one has extra fabric and the other does not? At least ask your tailor about the thighs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › How to tell if I can let the waist/seat out on a pair of pants