• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Randolph Engineering Sunglasses Preferences

sunman42000

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to pick up some Randolph Engineering Sunglasses, but i'm between a few things... Gold or Bright Chrome Frame (these seem like the two obvious options) and then... Standard Skull Temples or Bayonette Temples? What would you get? Photo below of the temple options. Surprised not to see much posted on these - have been wanting them for a few years, and am wondering what the 'standard' would be for SF guys =) Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sunman42000

Reaction score
I've gotten a handful of PM's with inquiries about Randolph.

By most accounts, they're much better in terms of quality than Ray Ban. They are the 'official' sunglasses issued by the Department of Defense for the air force, and have been for 20+ years. I'm excited to get a pair, so curious what you all think i should get.

Post a message after voting to keep this up top!

lofigeek

Reaction score
Any pics out there of the cable style temples being worn?

I can't keep sunglasses on my face for the life of me.

If it didn't look too ridiculous I would definitely rock those.

le.gentleman

Reaction score
Whether you go with gold or chrome does not really matter, as long as you get the polarized lenses.
Although they cost a few dollars more, I definitely do not want to miss my polarized lenses on my Sportsman sunglasses, Not to long ago I wrote a review about these Randolph Engineering Sunglasses.
They are of very high quality and come with a repair kit, with screws, nosepads and a little screwdriver. So in case a screw get loose, you can just take care of it yourself without having to visit your optician.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunman42000
I've gotten a handful of PM's with inquiries about Randolph.

By most accounts, they're much better in terms of quality than Ray Ban. They are the 'official' sunglasses issued by the Department of Defense for the air force, and have been for 20+ years. I'm excited to get a pair, so curious what you all think i should get.

Post a message after voting to keep this up top!

They are not better quality sunglasses than Rayban. They are sturdy working glasses for a good price.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
They are not better quality sunglasses than Rayban. They are sturdy working glasses for a good price.

+1

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Randolph lenses and frames are a lot sturdier than Luxotica glasses

GradSchooler

Reaction score
fort-knox-sunglasses-2.jpg

These are the ones I have. They're from the Untouchables line. The "Ad Man". I take them travelling and they have stood up to some serious beatings and are still going strong.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617

Randolph lenses and frames are a lot sturdier than Luxotica glasses

mathFAIL & englishFAIL. You want working glasses, buy the Randolphs. You want good looking glasses, buy the Luxotticas. My assumption is that people want glasses that look good, not functional.

dgr2102

Reaction score
hey there,

style-wise, the don-draper look is really cool, and the randolphs achieve this look. i'd recommend the aviator, bayonet temples, green agx glass (though i think draper has the grey lenses). Also note the size: draper's are pretty small relative to his face. I'd guess that he has the 52mm. I have a smaller face, so i got the 50mm. You'd think it's too small, but it looks really cool: in my opinion, square-frame glasses that are too large look childish.

hope that helps

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mathFAIL & englishFAIL. You want working glasses, buy the Randolphs. You want good looking glasses, buy the Luxotticas. My assumption is that people want glasses that look good, not functional.

Assumption fail. I want them to look good but I won't sacrifice quality and function purely for look/fashion.

dgr2102

Reaction score
just to add: quality wise, they are fantastic; as mentioned earlier, they come with a repair kit as well. I think that they are far sturdier and well-made than ray-bans (i have the 3025 and the RE aviator just feels better). also, style-wise they are very unique: the square frame really stands out. I'm a college kid (so am around people with no style at all), and people comment often on the RE aviators. definitely recommended.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
trainofthoughtFAIL. We're talking about QUALITY here, not aesthetics. For the record, I think the classic Randolph aviator looks great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads