• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hardest accomplishments in sports

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to position this so lets do it 2 ways... Course of the game accomplishment: After seeing this no-name throw a no-no (only the 16th since 1900) it got me wondering. Lets not include the anomalies like 100 points in one game (though Kobes modern day 82 was
bounce2.gif
) but stuff that can happen in the course of one game you hardly ever see that are tough.... Perfect game in BASEBALL Soccer hat-trick Throw for 400 yards One time moment accomplishment: I read an article years ago that list the hardest "task" in sports" http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm was hitting a baseball and Id have to agree. And Im not talking about luck either, like a hole in one, real individual things... Hitting in the majors Running a marathon Throwing a touchdown pass against a blitz Lots of factors involved but this isnt about pressure (ie. free throw in the finals),more about individual skill.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, perfect game

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
agreed on perfect game... Don Larsen was the only guy to do it for what 60 years?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Kunk,

One would have to define 'perfect' no? Every sport is different.

when you say "perfect game" it implies, at least to every sports fan I know of, a perfect game in baseball... by a pitcher.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, throwing for 400 yards and running a marathon are not some of the hardest accomplishments. hard - yes. but both events happen pretty regularly among the world's best in those sports. i think ice hockey is fricking hard. skating at high speeds and just having the agility to get to a spot on the ice sounds near-impossible to the likes of me. then you have to deal with 100 mph pucks...
confused.gif
so scoring a hockey goal would definitely be close to the top of my list. i heard water polo is brutal too. as far as hardest accomplishments by professionals, i'd agree with the perfect game in baseball. also, Kobe's scoring 82 with 5 Raptors shadowing him everywhere ranks up there, as does getting a 10 score in gymnastics

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Kunk,

One would have to define 'perfect' no? Every sport is different.

No. Perfect game-no hits/runs/errors. It's the standard definition....

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Along with no walks...

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
IMO, throwing for 400 yards and running a marathon are not some of the hardest accomplishments. hard - yes. but both events happen pretty regularly among the world's best in those sports. i think ice hockey is fricking hard. skating at high speeds and just having the agility to get to a spot on the ice sounds near-impossible to the likes of me. then you have to deal with 100 mph pucks...
confused.gif
so scoring a hockey goal would definitely be close to the top of my list.

Right. thats why I split it up into 2 distinct categories -- People also hit the ball every day. Throw touchdowns. Score goals. but of the routine things, I think hitting a ball is the hardest just cause you have like .00004 seconds to decide what to do. 400 yards passing is a game wide accomplishment. No one would think its on the same level as a PERFECT game, but still not easy. Maybe I shouldve used 500 yards? Either way... for the course of an individual game, passing against a blitz and the best athletes in the world for almost a quarter of a mile, pretty impressive IMO. What about a KO in boxing? Is that a one time thing or a course of the match thing? I guess throwing a hook isnt hard in its own right, but doing 300 of them over 12 rounds.. thats tough.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perfect game is the most difficult of that list...by far!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
when you say "perfect game" it implies, at least to every sports fan I know of, a perfect game in baseball... by a pitcher.

Originally Posted by ter1413
No. Perfect game-no hits/runs/errors. It's the standard definition....

Gotcha. When I think of sports, my first thought always goes to Soccer.
smile.gif

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
What about a KO in boxing? Is that a one time thing or a course of the match thing? I guess throwing a hook isnt hard in its own right, but doing 300 of them over 12 rounds.. thats tough.
While I think boxing is perhaps the hardest sport overall, a KO in itself isn't that impressive when compared to other sporting feats. A perfect game gets it in my book.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some of the incredibly low percentage shots that tennis players hit, you see them a few times a year, are incredibly difficult. They spend over a decade perfecting their ground strokes and foot work, preparing them for most eventualities, but give them a really tough ball and force them to hit it in a way they have not trained for, with the same level of velocity and placement that they DO train for, is pretty impressive to me.

Have to agree about hitting a baseball, however.

Would have to put the tennis serve up there as well. Consider how much time and effort goes into preparing that. Quite comparable to anything out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads