or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Why are most cars so ugly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why are most cars so ugly? - Page 2

post #16 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopelican View Post
<need over 10,000 posts to understand this humor>

Here is why you are a moron:

1) you pointed out that those pathetic middle-class drones constantly needed new designs so as to mass-feed them new cars. Those stupid poor people and their bulimic consumption!!

2) Piobaire easily thrashed that argument by demonstrating that consumers tend to keep their cars for long periods of time and certainly purchase cars as a "long term" purchase and not a fad-based thing you grab two of at the counter while getting your groceries.

3) You were too obtuse to understand his very clear answer

4) you're also probably too stupid to understand that luxury car owners change their cars more quickly than the middle-class, hence the constant influx of ugly, faddish designs in that category.
post #17 of 87
Damn, I can't believe I don't have any popcorn.
post #18 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopelican View Post
Hey moron, there is a MUCH larger market for economy cars, so rich people can replace their car EVERY week if they want, it still won't make a dent in the economy car market. It doesn't matter if the average economy car owner keeps their car for 10 years, because there's a far greater proportion of new car sales made EVERY YEAR in the economy market than the luxury market.

Be careful trying to interpret data when your mind is better suited to generating huge amounts of posts on Styleforum.

You have the reasoning ability of a small rodent. I bet you still take baths with your mother.

Sure there is a much greater volume of "economy cars" on the market but considering people keep thekm for around 10 yrs it would appear their obsolescence, when it comes to design or mechanics, is much longer than the one of most luxury cars. While the luxury car market in itself is relatively small it is a promotional mechanism, research center and aspirational factory all rolled into one. Management students have Ferrari cars as their computer backgrounds not Fords or whatever.
post #19 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopelican View Post
I don't follow.

We know.
post #20 of 87
Thread Starter 
Fuuma, despite being annoying and too obtuse to realize your own pretensions (oh, look at me, I look like an artist and I'm original), you are at most times not even remotely entertaining. If you're going to constantly belittle the mainstream (gosh, all cars are hideous in my cum glazed eyes), at least be funny, or extremely flamboyantly homosexual about it, like LabelKing.
post #21 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Fuuma, despite being annoying and too obtuse to realize your own pretensions (oh, look at me, I look like an artist and I'm original), you are at most times not even remotely entertaining. I'm not sure what purpose you serve.

Purpose? I'm not into teleological interpretations related to man's destiny so I dunno what to say. Maybe I serve to remind you there is always someone more snobbish than you can ever be.
post #22 of 87
FWIW, I usually find him quite entertaining. I mean, dragging teleology into this? :clap: However, let's re-rail the thread. If you follow the form/function concept, the duties of most cars are far from pretty.
post #23 of 87
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
FWIW, I usually find him quite entertaining. I mean, dragging teleology into this? :clap: However, let's re-rail the thread. If you follow the form/function concept, the duties of most cars are far from pretty.
Right. Despite all the suggestions as to socioeconomic stature thus far put forward, the simple fact that remains that nearly everyone considers the Aston Martin a beautiful car. Old people, teenage girls, homeless people, car enthusiasts, people who think cars are only for A-B, Prius drivers, even most on this forum. Would it not make sense for Honda to design a more beautiful car? Would it not increase sales? They have hundreds if not thousands of people working years on each car design. How much cost would it add to make the car beautiful? Is that cost somehow more expensive than the gain? Or is there simply a shortage of talented designers and they are all working for the high end firms that produce the few beautiful cars? This is plausible. The other interesting thing is that Acura goes to great length to showcase their new design center and prowess while turning out some of the most downright ugly cars, a mixture of parent brand blandness slapped with showy and garish chrome. They've showcased and named the young female designer of their new crossover. In "style," their marketing magazine, they devote a great amount of space to showing how attractive they think their cars to be. They have a feature on the TSX, showcasing it's "really great design." A quarter of the article about the TSX is spent about the "pure pleasure" of the body of the NSX, a now nineteen year old design! Really bizarre.
post #24 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopelican View Post
Anytime someone drags "teleology" into anything, they've proven to me they went to community college.

You've got me there. Cubicle job, community college, daily SUV driver, yep, that's me!
post #25 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopelican View Post
Anytime someone drags "teleology" into anything, they've proven to me they went to community college.

Don't be bitter. If you don't make it to CC, maybe one of your kids will.

Topic:

George made a very good argument and I'm not unconvinced there in is most of the answer. At the low to middle end, you need to maximize function and space. Even people that have A-Ms usually have one or more "ugly" vehicles that sees to most of their driving needs.
post #26 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Right. Despite all the suggestions as to socioeconomic stature thus far put forward, the simple fact that remains that nearly everyone considers the Aston Martin a beautiful car. Old people, teenage girls, homeless people, car enthusiasts, people who think cars are only for A-B, Prius drivers, even most on this forum. Would it not make sense for Honda to design a more beautiful car? Would it not increase sales? They have hundreds if not thousands of people working years on each car design. How much cost would it add to make the car beautiful? Is that cost somehow more expensive than the gain? Or is there simply a shortage of talented designers and they are all working for the high end firms that produce the few beautiful cars?
Try and find us an example of what you consider is a beautiful car that is in the same sector as the Honda. Your point interests me, but an Aston /Honda comparison is unfair for some of the reasons I stated.
post #27 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Don't be bitter. If you don't make it to CC, maybe one of your kids will. Topic: George made a very good argument and I'm not unconvinced there in is most of the answer. At the low to middle end, you need to maximize function and space. Even people that have A-Ms usually have one or more "ugly" vehicles that sees to most of their driving needs.
That the designs are more prosaic is almost unavoidable and not a bad thing for most drivers. Luxury cars are "concept" cars hence the bolder and invariably less practical designs (that I happen to find gaudy but I'll easily grant you this is beside the point). The class consciousness (aspirational or not) of posters in this thread is a very sad thing to behold...
post #28 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin View Post
Because most people have bad tastes and revel in mediocrity.

Same reason why most Americans aspire to live in houses like this:

post #29 of 87
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Try and find us an example of what you consider is a beautiful car that is in the same sector as the Honda. Your point interests me, but an Aston /Honda comparison is unfair for some of the reasons I stated.
There isn't one, which is the point of the thread. Why can't Honda maximize space and function, while also making a beautiful car? Expand this to SUVs. While more controversial, the X5 M is a very attractive SUV. Compare to a Honda SUV. Yes, they are in different classes and price ranges, but why can't Honda make an SUV that looks as good as the X5 M? Why do they come out with the Crosstour, which looks like a misshapen turd? This isn't about function or interior space. Why does a huge company like Honda have to have a single "priority?" I argue there are as much resources in Honda's exterior design department as there are at Aston Martin's. Constraints of function, visibility, and interior space cannot account for the difference in aesthetics. Consider the outgoing BMW 550i Sport. Here's a car that has as much space and practicality as the Accord but is far more attractive. Again, why? Also, I don't buy the "Americans have bad taste because they are not as sophisticated as StyleForum posters" argument above. All these Americans would turn and stare at the A-M. Some would pretend to jack off. It would be a different matter entirely if they found the Honda attractive and the A-M ugly. This is not the case.
post #30 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
There isn't one, which is the point of the thread. Why can't Honda maximize space and function, while also making a beautiful car? Expand this to SUVs. While more controversial, the X5 M is a very attractive SUV. Compare to a Honda SUV. Yes, they are in different classes and price ranges, but why can't Honda make an SUV that looks as good as the X5 M? Why do they come out with the Crosstour, which looks like a misshapen turd? This isn't about function or interior space.

The X5 M is a great choice to demonstrate exactly what George and I are saying, even compared to other SUVs in that price point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Why are most cars so ugly?