or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Movie Cliches - Which Ones Do You Really Dislike?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Movie Cliches - Which Ones Do You Really Dislike? - Page 5

post #61 of 135
Training Day is chock-full of cop cliches, but i oh so looooove that movie. Ive watched it a hundred times and it still entertains me. i dont know, something about it is always fresh.


especially the scene where Denzel calls up his team and they meet at the parking garage roof. when dr dre says "youre a long way from starbucks. stay out of our way, this is for the big dawgs" and then they pan to the other guy he spits on the ground. so funny but so cool i love that movie.
also all the LA gangsters who act so cliche when they rolled up in to their neighborhood.
and the exclamation "BLAST DEM FOOLS!" is throughout the movie. so cliche.
post #62 of 135
The dumbest movie cliche:
White man is sent on mission to take over land or destroy a native population (always for money).
White man gets in trouble and is saved by female member of native population
White man becomes accepted by most of the native population except for their head leader and the female member's betrothed.
White man struggles with being in the native population and knowing he is supposed to get rid of them or destroy them.
White man's bosses continue with plans for destroying native population
Bosses begin to destroy native population.
Truth comes out that white man knew the whole time.
White man is exiled from native population.
White man makes a daring comeback to impress native population and get them on their side.
White man leads native population against his own population.
Native population is triumphant against a much more advanced white population.
Happily ever after.
post #63 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
The dumbest movie cliche:
White man is sent on mission to take over land or destroy a native population (always for money).
White man gets in trouble and is saved by female member of native population
White man becomes accepted by most of the native population except for their head leader and the female member's betrothed.
White man struggles with being in the native population and knowing he is supposed to get rid of them or destroy them.
White man's bosses continue with plans for destroying native population
Bosses begin to destroy native population.
Truth comes out that white man knew the whole time.
White man is exiled from native population.
White man makes a daring comeback to impress native population and get them on their side.
White man leads native population against his own population.
Native population is triumphant against a much more advanced white population.
Happily ever after.

sounds like a pretty good rough draft screenplay. pretty epic. you should develop this and send it to hollywood. i'd be the first in line to see something like this!!
post #64 of 135
^I used to watch Pochahantas and Ferngully with the RubeBabes when they were little. Nice little movie.
post #65 of 135
-Cop wakes up from his nightmare and immediately grabs his gun at bedside. Cop then shows that it's loaded to indicate what a grim, violent world he's living in. -Cop then goes brush his teeth, where he looks at his rugged, sleep-deprived self in the mirror. -Cop keeps having nightmarish visions about that one time when his bravado causes the death of a hostage, typically a little girl. -Cop turns in his badge and gun to the authority so he can go after the criminal personally. -Cop finally has the criminal at gun point. His friend (probably another cop) talks him out of pulling the trigger. As he lowers his gun, the jerk does something stupid to provoke him. Cop shoots the dumbass dead.
post #66 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
--Cop finally has the criminal at gun point. His friend (probably another cop) talks him out of pulling the trigger. As he lowers his gun, the jerk does something stupid to provoke him. Cop shoots the dumbass dead.

the cliche cop 'twist' - to find out that the criminal is your best friend cop all along after all.
post #67 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
The dumbest movie cliche:
White man is sent on mission to take over land or destroy a native population (always for money).
White man gets in trouble and is saved by female member of native population
White man becomes accepted by most of the native population except for their head leader and the female member's betrothed.
White man struggles with being in the native population and knowing he is supposed to get rid of them or destroy them.
White man's bosses continue with plans for destroying native population
Bosses begin to destroy native population.
Truth comes out that white man knew the whole time.
White man is exiled from native population.
White man makes a daring comeback to impress native population and get them on their side.
White man leads native population against his own population.
Native population is triumphant against a much more advanced white population.
Happily ever after.

someone should do this. except with aliens. and 3D. yeah
post #68 of 135
Thread Starter 
When a shipwrecked person swims to shore, he must immediately sleep the moment he makes it to the beach.
post #69 of 135
when a rain of bullets from automatic rifles from goons seems to miss the good guys, and yet it only takes one shot from a pistol to kill each of them.
post #70 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviecakes View Post
someone should do this. except with aliens. and 3D. yeah

I fucking wish Avatar was the only movie to have done that.
post #71 of 135
This thread is awesome. I haven't read the middle pages yet, so if this is covered ground, please forgive me.

I have nothing against retarded people. In fact, I'm that guy that tells people not to make retarded people jokes in front of me. I think it's appalling.

However, death row, and prisons in general, are chock full of retards. Why the hell does every retarded kid in a movie have to be some kind of saint?

Forrest Gump
Green Mile
I am Sam


Same with most other handicapped people (etc. wheelchair-bound people, who have strangely been cast as villains more than you would normally think).

I also hate the "older black male who offers guilt-ridden white folks atonement." Ridiculously paternalistic. Found in almost every Morgan Freeman movie ever made (although he's still a kickass actor) and kicked up to dizzying heights in Bagger Vance.
post #72 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
The dumbest movie cliche:
White man is sent on mission to take over land or destroy a native population (always for money).
White man gets in trouble and is saved by female member of native population
White man becomes accepted by most of the native population except for their head leader and the female member's betrothed.
White man struggles with being in the native population and knowing he is supposed to get rid of them or destroy them.
White man's bosses continue with plans for destroying native population
Bosses begin to destroy native population.
Truth comes out that white man knew the whole time.
White man is exiled from native population.
White man makes a daring comeback to impress native population and get them on their side.
White man leads native population against his own population.
Native population is triumphant against a much more advanced white population.
Happily ever after.

Don't tell Jon. This is his ethos.
post #73 of 135
As an extension of all the gun talk:

- Guy with gun fires off half a dozen mags of rounds, only to immediately capture target and press the gun against the head/skin of the target. Somehow the target is completely immune to the fact that the barrel of said gun would be blazing hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Cocking a gun five fucking times for effect. e.g. the hero loads his gun, cock, the hero leaves to get into the action, cock, the hero encounters action, cock, the hero shows he means biznatch, cock.
...

+1,000

Movie guns are remarkably noisy in general. The slightest movement makes them click and rattle. If any of my guns sounded like that I'd be very, very concerned.
post #74 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post
...
However, death row, and prisons in general, are chock full of retards. Why the hell does every retarded kid in a movie have to be some kind of saint?

Forrest Gump
Green Mile
I am Sam

...

Green Mile actually somehow managed to be both. It had a retard in prison on death row, yet he was a saint.
post #75 of 135
As I read this thread I kept thinking about the film that would result if you tried to make a film containing every single one of these cliches... awesome, terrible, or so terrible it becomes awesome?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Movie Cliches - Which Ones Do You Really Dislike?