• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTF paypal/ebay !!!

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So someone just bought at the BIN price a pair of shoes I had on ebay, just got and email from paypal telling me they're holding the payment for 21 days ! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR ******* MIND ?!

And here I thought they couldn't screw sellers any more...

Is this is some kind of new next-level buyers protection bullshit I was not aware of ?

So now I'm expected to ship the item without having received even one penny for it, pay the shipping out of my pocket and wait three weeks until maybe paypal decides to give me my money !

I'm a student, I don't have the luxury to wait that long without even knowing if I'll get something in the end, hell the only reason I listed the item on ebay and put up with their bullshit to begin with was to sell it quicker.

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I could still ask the buyer to leave a positive feedback right now which would unfreeze the funds if I understand correctly , but I can't see why he would.

Anyone ever had to deal with this ? Any suggestions ?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't you just need to provide a tracking # and the funds will be released?

cksnipe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's happened to me before. Just mail the item with tracking (using one of the methods that they mention--USPS with tracking is usually good if you are in the US) and provide the info. They will hold the funds for a few days until the item is delivered +/- the buyer leaves + feedback. So ask your buyer to leave feedback as soon as he gets the item.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmm I don't think so, I don't see anything about that on paypal. Here's the email I got, couldn't be more vague as usual :

As part of our ongoing effort to make PayPal an even safer place for you and your customers to do business, this payment will be on hold for 21 days until we're sure that your customer is satisfied with their purchase. We do this to ensure you have money in your account in the event your customer asks for a refund. If you ship immediately, the hold may be lifted sooner.

Of course, if I ship immediately chances are it'll get there within less thant 21 days, F***ers...

Btw, I just found out that this thing exists since 2008 but generally applies to "at risk" transaction, still don't explain why it happened this time ($300 pair of shoes, 100% feedback...).

EDIT : Ok, thanks guys, I'll try with the tracking. I'm not in the US though (but the buyer is) so even if it works I'll have to wait until it gets there...
ffffuuuu.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is some bulllllshit right there. Ive never got that one, I hope Im grandfathered in before they passed that lunatic rule. Ship it without the money? Jeeeeesus. Almost as bad as not being able to leave a neg for a buyer who never pays. Reeeediculous.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This recently happen to me. I sold something for $30. I provide tracking and he left me a postive feedback...and my fund was release.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this sucks. I sold a pair of jeans for $120 two weeks ago, and my payment is still frozen. What sucks worse is that often you'll end up having to pay your "final bid" fee (~9.75% of the selling price) before you can get reimbursed for the item itself, which is bad news for those of us who are often just scraping by in our checking accounts.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't see how this is legal. I'm not a lawyer, but this is ******* bullshit. I love how Paypal dodges having to abide by the regulations and oversight that would be required of a bank, and meanwhile it pulls shadier **** with people's money than most banks I know.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I don't see how this is legal. I'm not a lawyer, but this is ******* bullshit. I love how Paypal dodges having to abide by the regulations and oversight that would be required of a bank, and meanwhile it pulls shadier **** with people's money than most banks I know.

Yeah, isn't "buyer beware" one of the first principles of a consumer society? The whole system of penalizing the seller first is completely ass-backwards. The first time I even heard about the payment hold system, I had to mail out a $300 Focusrite compressor blindly, having not having recieved payment yet, and completely at the mercy of my increasingly belligerent buyer (who was growing irritated with me because I was understandably getting cold feet about the entire transaction, having had a complaint lodged against me before I even recieved any payment!)

I'm still pissed at the final bid fees they sprang on me unbeknownst, but sadly there are no real alternatives to eBay at this point.
frown.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I mean, I'm not even talking about the buyer vs. seller thing specifically, though that is certainly an issue. My bigger concern is that Paypal feels they can hold onto people's money for ridiculous lengths of time on a capricious and ever-changing basis.
Originally Posted by tagutcow
sadly there are no real alternatives to eBay at this point.
frown.gif

That is going to change eventually. Believe me. eBay can't continue to run this badly forever and piss people off indefinitely without expecting to cause competitors to emerge. Hell, Amazon is already sort of competing at this point. If you're a regular seller and not just a casual / one-off sort of seller, try opening an Amazon storefront. You get the benefits of Amazon's site, with a feedback system similar to eBay's but less heavily weighted in favor of / at the mercy of buyers.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another problem is not only does eBay suck, paypal sucks too....

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beware with a borrelli seller from napoli, he has changed his name several times. Scammer, paypal didn´t help me to recover my 220 euros. Thanks God Visa did.

legit

Reaction score
This is a pretty ridiculous system. I recall being annoyed the last time I sold something on ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads