or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Soak, then wear till dry!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Soak, then wear till dry!! - Page 2

post #16 of 29
1st misconception is that most people wear their jeans raw for 6 months. I think a small majority of people do this, but most have learned from the past and will do at least a cold soak to get some of the shrinkage out of the way. This will prevent your hard earned wear marks from shifting also.

I leave mine unhemmed after soaking (well japanese brands tend to just be 34" inseam at the most) and let them bunch up. It creates a nice effect after awhile.
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_denim
1st misconception is that most people wear their jeans raw for 6 months. I think a small majority of people do this, but most have learned from the past and will do at least a cold soak to get some of the shrinkage out of the way. This will prevent your hard earned wear marks from shifting also.

I leave mine unhemmed after soaking (well japanese brands tend to just be 34" inseam at the most) and let them bunch up. It creates a nice effect after awhile.

i've heard about this 'shifting' a lot. do the wear maks really shift THAT much? i have been thinking about soaking too but not for this reason. for the reason that i have heard that yuo get a deep blue color as opposed to that greyish color, when you're done.

just how much shifiting are we talking about though, if i choose not to soak?
post #18 of 29
well, i've heard about honeycombs that have moved from the back of the knee to the side of the knee.

Also don't know about the deeper blue. It'll happen eventually if you wash. I think i only remember reading about jeans turning grey when people would dryclean their jeans.
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_denim
well, i've heard about honeycombs that have moved from the back of the knee to the side of the knee.

Also don't know about the deeper blue. It'll happen eventually if you wash. I think i only remember reading about jeans turning grey when people would dryclean their jeans.

You know what though. I gotta be totally honest here. Some of these jean rituals are just a bit much. I plan to just wear them at will. Wash when they 'need' to be washed. And let my inexperience show in the wear. I don't think I am gonna RUIN them by any means. So if they don't look as great (great being relative) as some of the othe jeans I've seen, then so be it. they are my 1st dry projects and should prolly come out looking that way. Later ones will be better. And I'll tweak my methods according to my likings. I gave up on searching for care instructions - just gonna use some good ole common sense and not worry too much about them.
post #20 of 29
How zen. You have learned much.
post #21 of 29
Without ritual, we are left only with habit. But I agree: the less you think, the better.
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMak_NYC
You know what though. I gotta be totally honest here. Some of these jean rituals are just a bit much. I plan to just wear them at will. Wash when they 'need' to be washed. And let my inexperience show in the wear. I don't think I am gonna RUIN them by any means. So if they don't look as great (great being relative) as some of the othe jeans I've seen, then so be it. they are my 1st dry projects and should prolly come out looking that way. Later ones will be better. And I'll tweak my methods according to my likings. I gave up on searching for care instructions - just gonna use some good ole common sense and not worry too much about them.

BINGO!! Vanna, give the man his prize.
post #23 of 29
yeah, do as you want, the rituals and habits are odd and not for everyone.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_denim
1st misconception is that most people wear their jeans raw for 6 months. I think a small majority of people do this, but most have learned from the past and will do at least a cold soak to get some of the shrinkage out of the way. This will prevent your hard earned wear marks from shifting also.

Do I understand correctly that cold soaking causes less shrinkage, but more dye loss?

Whereas very hot water will shrink faster but keep the colour intact?

I have a new pair that are a little baggier than I like, but also fairly light. I want to make them very fitted, basically, so am thinking inside-out in very hot water. But I still want them to look "new". Makes sense?

Cheers,

Eden
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
It won't work on waxed denim.

waxed denim?
post #26 of 29
i've found if you just spray some water on the creases works effectively and its a lot more comfortable than sitting in soaked jeans
post #27 of 29
hot water with agitaion may cause more color loss than just a cold soak. just be careful.
post #28 of 29
Those PBJs fit great, miz.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWHiZiTSPHiL
waxed denim?
When jeans and wax love each other
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Soak, then wear till dry!!