• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crossfit fans?

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have started a workout regimen that takes a LOT from crossfit training. I have discovered the magic of kettlebells - outstanding stuff.

Anyone have any favorite exercises?

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Crossfit is glorified GPP lacking progressive increases. But for a strictly health oriented program it's not bad.

Lowndes

Reaction score
I'll be interested to the responses to this question. I have a negative perception of Crossfit because the people who do it seem almost cult like. I find it quite annoying. However, my sample size is quite small.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
I'll be interested to the responses to this question. I have a negative perception of Crossfit because the people who do it seem almost cult like. I find it quite annoying. However, my sample size is quite small.
You're correct. They are cult like IMO. A lot of the exercises can be an ass-kicking. But the arrogance of a cross-fitter is laughable.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We do a crossfit routine kinda before Thai boxing and BJJ at our camp. We change the circuit to fit our needs. We get a hell of a workout. I am a fan.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big crossfit fan too. Have you tried the FRAN workout? Front squat thrusters to push press followed by kipping pull ups.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll never understand kipping pull ups. What's the point of using momentum instead of your muscles to lift yourself up?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it outstanding and a real efficient workout. I think there are better ways to get fit, but not quicker ways. The forum has a real cult-like mentality, but who cares; why throw the baby out with the bath water? Try it for a few months and see if you like it. You might enjoy the brief, intense workouts. When it's too cold in upstate NY to set up my garage gym, I use a large chain-style gym and CF is better than what 95% of the people I see are doing.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I'll never understand kipping pull ups. What's the point of using momentum instead of your muscles to lift yourself up?

Just do regular pull-ups then.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil

Off the top of my head I know the different movement works ancillary muscles that are very difficult to work normally. Can't quote anything specific though.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its awesome if you want to be skinny and weak.

tribal style lower back tattoo are also required.

Becks23

Reaction score
If I do barbell complexes, am I a cross-fitter?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are great for law enforcement people and generally fit people but I don't think much of its long term potential as a safe workout for many people. Progressions are a mess and many end up doing it with piss poor form when exhausted.

Like all training methodology, there are always shortcomings and strengths. I am bemused by the cult-like brother and sisterhood when they are criticized. Discussions with them usually end up with them flaming others.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I started doing crossfit a few months ago (my wife also). Probably one of the best choices we have ever made. Dropping weight, energy levels up, quick workouts, made new friends. I feel ten years younger. Not sure why people gotta knock it. To each his own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads