or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › New Trend, Popped Suit Collars?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Trend, Popped Suit Collars?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I was in South Coast Plaza tonight and noticed several of the mannequins at the Zegna boutique had suits with popped suit collars and shirt collars. I'm not sure if this was a joke by someone or a new style?

By the way, the new ubiquitous trend of the year seems to be navy or slate blue Lacoste Polos with True Religions and white shoes.
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I was in South Coast Plaza tonight and noticed several of the mannequins at the Zegna boutique had suits with popped suit collars and shirt collars. I'm not sure if this was a joke by someone or a new style?

By the way, the new ubiquitous trend of the year seems to be navy or slate blue Lacoste Polos with True Religions and white shoes.
It's a new style. With a lilac or pink underfelt collar, it's even tackier. I don't know where this 'trend' originated from, though, but I suspect german speaking countries.

!luc
post #3 of 23
Last seen in the late '70's, where maybe it should have stayed.
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
I guess I'd seen it with the white suit with red/pink/orange shirt in pictures from the 70s but I think my subconscious blocked it from my mind.
post #5 of 23
I always thought the colored underfelt collars were a unique touch to suit jackets...you don't necessarily need to pop them up when you're out on the street though.........
post #6 of 23
Those flavored collarmeltons are more useful on overcoats.
post #7 of 23
post #8 of 23
You know that lapel buttonhole? It used to button before to a corresponding button on the other side. You'd button it and pop the suit collar to keep your neck warm. I guess it's so old it's new again.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias
You know that lapel buttonhole? It used to button before to a corresponding button on the other side. You'd button it and pop the suit collar to keep your neck warm. I guess it's so old it's new again.
A hunting collar, which bears an uncanny resemblance to a Nehru collar when done-up.
post #10 of 23
Back in the '30s (somewhat before my time) it was traditional for the men of my old college (University, Durham) to wear their blazers this way. Now the tradition has transferred to rugger shirts. No idea where it arose from, though.
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Last seen in the late '70's, where maybe it should have stayed.
I'm sorry, I didn't know it was forbidden to keep your neck warm.
post #12 of 23
get a scarf
post #13 of 23
ive done this before.... but then i noticed it and fixed it.
post #14 of 23
I'd have no problem going Charles Whitman on people popping their suit collars as "fashion" displays.
post #15 of 23
Looks goofy sometimes, other times looks okay. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's just clothing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › New Trend, Popped Suit Collars?