• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me determine of a Polo Ralph Laruen shirt is fake or not

1gnition

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here and this is my first message. I need your help in determining if the following shirt is a fake Polo Ralph Lauren or not. Thank you.

R0063376.JPG

R0063378.JPG

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty ahrd to tell from those shots – is it possible to get closer pics of the labels/tags?

It looks pretty out of shape for a brand new shirt though.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
It is a fake. If it is from Ebay 99.9% are fakes. Polo does not use tags like that. The care label should also be inside the shirt on the lower left hand seam. It is a fake, trust me.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ How do you know it's from eBay..?!

1gnition

Reaction score
A status update:

Today I received one Polo shirt which I have ordered from the Ebay seller that one of his shirts is seen in my first message (the pink one). I am pretty convinced that the shirt is an original. If it is not original then it is a premium quality fake. The fabric is also soft and has a tender touch. Here are some photos:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1gnition
A status update:

Today I received one Polo shirt which I have ordered from the Ebay seller that one of his shirts is seen in my first message (the pink one). I am pretty convinced that the shirt is an original. If it is not original then it is a premium quality fake. The fabric is also soft and has a tender touch. Here are some photos:

Looks correct to me...

southbound35

Reaction score
I'm not at home where I can look at my RL polos. For some reason, though, it seems to me those tags are sewn higher on the collar than I'm used to seeing. That said, I don't buy the Custom Fit polos; so, that may be the norm for that fit.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good lord, all this effort for a stupid shirt.
facepalm.gif

If YOU can't tell than probably very few people can, especially if you are actually wearing it.

Since you said it's nice and soft that all it matters.

ENJOY your shirts.

1gnition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Good lord, all this effort for a stupid shirt.
facepalm.gif

If YOU can't tell than probably very few people can, especially if you are actually wearing it.

Since you said it's nice and soft that all it matters.

ENJOY your shirts.

Look, it's not an effort at all and I do it just because I feel like it. It's not an unpleasant thing to do for me. Besides that, I don't usually buy shirts by brands. I came across it on Ebay and it was very cheap, so knowing that it maybe an original after all is just a bonus.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1gnition
Look, it's not an effort at all and I do it just because I feel like it. It's not an unpleasant thing to do for me. Besides that, I don't usually buy shirts by brands. I came across it on Ebay and it was very cheap, so knowing that it maybe an original after all is just a bonus.

uh, OK
rolleyes.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how you asked if we thought it was fake, we said it was, and you still bought it. well done, friend.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't get why you'd bother buying a 30 dollar shirt on ebay and risk buying a fake.

Also, I can't compare with my shirts at home now but the logo seems closer to the center of the shirt than usual.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nocode
Pay close attention to the stitching. I think a lot of times, people will remove the stitching from an authentic shirt and then sew it on a cheaper quality shirt and sell that off. I bought a "Burberry" shirt from eBay and the stitching job was so bad.

exactly.

Authentic Polo Ralph Lauren shirts use 14K gold embedded threads.

run a metal detector over all the seams, that'll tell you.
teacha.gif

scribbles

Reaction score
I can't tell you about the pink one because there is no detail, but the green polo is most definitely a fake. The dead giveaway was the lack of COOL (country of origin labeling). As per T.D. (Treasure Decision) 54640, all wearing apparel items must be marked with the name of the country of origin by means of a fabric label unless a precedent exists which has ruled in favor of another form of marking. Following are the general rules for locating such a fabric label on upper and lower body garments.

In the case of garments that cover the upper torso such as shirts, blouses, coats, sweaters, dresses and similar apparel, country of origin marking must be placed on the "inside center of the neck midway between the shoulder seams or in that immediate area"

Case closed, end thread.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good observation.

NOW you just ruined his day.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads