• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phineas Cole... too out there?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on some Phineas Cole suits for the first time today... I liked them but the cut is a little more "extreme" then what I'm used to. In this suit too fashion forward for something like, say, a wedding?

The other suit I'm looking at is the Oxxford Type A, which is more sedate.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally unrealted, but are you by chance Canadian?

tim-hortons.jpg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but I went to school in Montreal. Roll up the rim to win.
laugh.gif

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
In this suit too fashion forward for something like, say, a wedding?

Not likely.
A picture or description (color, pattern etc.) of said suit and some details on the wedding would allow for a more detailed response though.

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
I don't like Phineas Cole; it reminds me of Black Label (or is it the other way around?).

Francisco

Reaction score
I think their fit is more modern slim cut and I like it.

rlx

Reaction score
It is a very slim fit, narrow lapels and a shorter jacket. If that's what you are looking for, go for it. I tried one on. It was a beautiful suit, but a little to fashion-forward for me.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Totally unrealted, but are you by chance Canadian?

tim-hortons.jpg

Tim Horton's rules rural areas and suburbs only. In downtown Toronto or Vancouver, Tim's a bum.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
Tim Horton's rules rural areas and suburbs only. In downtown Toronto or Vancouver, Tim's a bum.
True. When I grew up in Burnaby (Vancouver), Starbucks was all the rage. Tim Hortons is where you went for Timbits. When I went to school in NB, Tim Hortons stores were everywhere. Starbucks was "too expensive".

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Not likely. A picture or description (color, pattern etc.) of said suit and some details on the wedding would allow for a more detailed response though.
It's a standard dark navy, two button, notch lapel, side vent suit. It'll be my first "nice" suit since finishing residency and fellowship, will be worn for events (like weddings) rather than at work. I've looked at a few suits, and the ones I liked the most are the Phineas Cole, the Oxxford Type A, and the Zegna Roma (I wanted to try on the Milano but I can't find a store, including the Zegna store in Manhattan, that has one in stock.) I also tried a RLBL but didn't like it too much my shoulders are a bit broad and I felt a bit self-conscious in it. Yeah, I know these are all very different suits... I guess I'm easy to please. I will note that the fabric of the Oxford and Zegna just "felt" better.
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
Good grief, this is blasphemy.

chatty

Reaction score
FWIW, I have an Oxxford Type A and really like it. Have gotten a lot of compliments from others on how well it fits.

Oxxford is having a sample sale right now too so you may be able to get something for up to 70% off.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clotheshorse69
I don't like Phineas Cole; it reminds me of Black Label (or is it the other way around?).

Paul Stuart has violated the Covenant.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
You should also look at the "Paul" fit suit at Paul Stuart. Just tell the person who is helping you that you want to try on the "Paul" model and they'll know exactly what you're talking about. It's their less severely styled, but still as slim, cut that the Phineas cut was derived from. It's also much cheaper than the Phineas line.

FE-X

Reaction score
Best fitting suits i have, go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads