or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 649

post #9721 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

Its time for me to bite the bullet and buy a family car. Whats out there that wont make me hate life? Little weekend trips is all this car will be used for.

Im thinking the hatch versions of the wrx sti or cts v may be worth looking into.

Ive owned exactly 2 cars in my life so Im open to about anything. Needs to fit 2 car seats, cargo, and have a bit of performance (Im ditching my 911 for this!)

Why not just rent a car, when needed?


If you have the $$$ get a W212 E63 wagon.
post #9722 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Why not just rent a car, when needed?


If you have the $$$ get a W212 E63 wagon.

I was just going to suggest the AMG Wagon too. Might not carve a corner like your Porsche but with a 0 - 60 around four seconds you should be happy.
post #9723 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

Its time for me to bite the bullet and buy a family car. Whats out there that wont make me hate life? Little weekend trips is all this car will be used for.

Im thinking the hatch versions of the wrx sti or cts v may be worth looking into.

Ive owned exactly 2 cars in my life so Im open to about anything. Needs to fit 2 car seats, cargo, and have a bit of performance (Im ditching my 911 for this!)


Twins?

post #9724 of 14764
/requisitewagonrecommendation

Would rather have a CPO W212 E63T over the CTS-V, but good luck finding one, and the ones with 7-passenger seating are even harder to find. I think I heard they sold something like 60 of them per model year in the USA. On the bright side, if it's just a weekend car, you might not end up putting mileage on it and it'll hold value relatively well for a new-age MB due to the rarity. They trade for a good premium above the sedan and there are people who always looking for one.
post #9725 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

base price for the 2014 Stingray is out.


are you ready for this? $51k

cheaper than a loaded 3-series


I sent my father a picture and he's ready for one.  Well he said, "Will there be a convertible?  Because you know I have a thing for convertibles".  I assured him there will be one.  Then he started talking about how he's on a fixed income and I said, "Wow - woujah look at the time.  I got a meeting in 5 minutes Dad.  Gotta run..."

 

He thinks he is slick

post #9726 of 14764
Z06 might be a 911T killer for M3 prices. I am closely monitoring this
post #9727 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Z06 might be a 911T killer for M3 prices. I am closely monitoring this


Has it got a solid axle, still? Would you seriously give up a scalpel for a sledgehammer?

 

~ H

post #9728 of 14764
The Vette isn't that unrefined. Maybe giving up a scalpel for a machete is a better analogy. I definitely plan on test driving it and going from there
post #9729 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post


Has it got a solid axle, still? Would you seriously give up a scalpel for a sledgehammer?

~ H

If you have the pythons for it a sledge is pretty damn satisfying at times.
post #9730 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post


Has it got a solid axle, still? Would you seriously give up a scalpel for a sledgehammer?

 

~ H


When was the last time you drove a vette?  I know my dad had a 90something and now has a 2007.  It impressed me

post #9731 of 14764

Never.  I am assuming, arguendo, that it is like most of the current crop of Detroit muscle, most of which I've driven (Camaro SS, Mustang GT, etc). Fun, totally tossable and completely enjoyable. But not, I thought, what someone used to Euro sportscars would be into. Also, the interiors are usually pretty bad --- perhaps the worst part.

 

Piob, strangely enough I have a hobby that requires liberal use of a 22lb sledge. It is awesome. I nicknamed my favorite sledge because i love it so. Oh, I need to get out of law school and have some fun again.


~ H
 

post #9732 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

/requisitewagonrecommendation

Would rather have a CPO W212 E63T over the CTS-V, but good luck finding one, and the ones with 7-passenger seating are even harder to find. I think I heard they sold something like 60 of them per model year in the USA. On the bright side, if it's just a weekend car, you might not end up putting mileage on it and it'll hold value relatively well for a new-age MB due to the rarity. They trade for a good premium above the sedan and there are people who always looking for one.

I'm glad I live in Europe, I think half of all E63 are wagons, so they are "easy" to come by.
post #9733 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Never.  I am assuming, arguendo, that it is like most of the current crop of Detroit muscle, most of which I've driven (Camaro SS, Mustang GT, etc). Fun, totally tossable and completely enjoyable. But not, I thought, what someone used to Euro sportscars would be into. Also, the interiors are usually pretty bad --- perhaps the worst part.
The Vette is surprisingly different from the others. I've gotten into the habit recently of upgrading my rental cars on biz trips and have a few weeks' seat time in the mustang gt, Camaro SS cv and the Vette 50th anniv cv.

The first two are still fairly crude, heavy feeling, disconnected and really not enjoyable for me. The Camaro especially is a pos. the corvette was totally different. The engine is an unrefined torque monster like the others, but the handling and driving characteristics are tons better
post #9734 of 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

The Vette is surprisingly different from the others. I've gotten into the habit recently of upgrading my rental cars on biz trips and have a few weeks' seat time in the mustang gt, Camaro SS cv and the Vette 50th anniv cv.

The first two are still fairly crude, heavy feeling, disconnected and really not enjoyable for me. The Camaro especially is a pos. the corvette was totally different. The engine is an unrefined torque monster like the others, but the handling and driving characteristics are tons better

This post is true, but the vette is still a hunk of lard compared to refined sports car. In addition, it has a pretty bad reputation as a prick extender.

Unfortunately the 6.3 Mercs are the same thing around power delivery. What use is the power when you can't transition it? Its all for numbers.
post #9735 of 14764
Our local shop guy has a late '00s model Z06 in that bright red he brought over the other night. Nice guy, i was warned not to join him for a ride as he has genuinely scared the shit out of my father in law. he loves to drive it fast and it has a mind of its own when you get into the throttle more than modestly. He stated multiple times how he's embarrassed to take it to dinner/events for the prick extension vibe it lends but he's a car guy and pretty set in the "buy American" mindset so couldn't help himself when the opportunity to purchase came up. Mostly just cruises with it on nice nights
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!