or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 590

post #8836 of 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

FAKE

 

I thought so -- the single exhaust is a clear giveaway that it's not an M.

 

I didn't see anything too special in Tokyo, car-wise, except for one '70s Skyline GTR that I only glimpsed, otherwise a few Astons, tons of AMGs (usually in -65 trim, including the SUV -- an M- or G- class, I forget), tons of ///M cars, too, and a neat little wagon like 150 class. Lots of GT-R's obviously.

 

The craziest car I saw was this thing:

 

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1207_mitsuoka_viewt_first_look/

 

It pulled out from a side street in front of me; at first I thought it was a Jag Mk II, but the proportions and lines were crazy wrong, even at a glance. Fortunately I snapped a pic of its tail and nameplate so I could look it up. Weird.


~ H

post #8837 of 14920
BMW, MB and Audi are phoning in the use of ///M, AMG and S-Line on their cars. It's pointless. That's what makes it particularly sad when someone puts the ///M trunk logo on a 320i M Sport (my guess based on single exhaust and single pipe, though not familiar with the Japanese market)

Whoever owns that car should've gone full bore delusional and went with the ///M3 instead of the ///M and beat BMW to the punch on the F30.
post #8838 of 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Any reason the ML is out? I've had both the X5 xDrive 35i and FX37s as company cars recently and went to test drive the ML and loved it quite a bit. I'm a huge BMW nut (though admittedly a GT and not SUV guy), but would begrudgingly rank that segment ML, X5, FX and Q7 after having driven all of them. The FX is decent as far as SUVs go, but it's way too Japanese...the 45 different icons on the nav system, the horrid little heated seat knobs etc. all bothered me.

I stopped into the MB dealership last week and received a surprise. Mrs. Piob has four lease payments left and my boy at MB is always dying to pull us out early. I mean, he pulled me out of my GL in August last year when the lease ran to December. He gave me a pretty cool reception the other day and said MB is only doing three months with the ML and MLs are in short supply. He just did not seem as super motivated as he has the last four (four! How did that happen?) cars. So we decided to shop harder this time.

I really do not like BMW SUVs. The dashboard in particular I really do not like and I find the interior a bit too spartan. Nice car from the driving aspect but I always buy based on how comfy I am tooling along in traffic vs. how much fun I can have on the rare times I'm on a deserted twisty road.

We'll probably go check the Audi but the dealership is not only in an inconvenient spot, in a dodgy part of the city, but the dealership itself sucks in terms of being very tiny and uncomfortable.

The Infiniti dealership is on the way to work for her and it's a nice modern dealership. The price they shot me yesterday is really attractive and I have not even beat up on them yet. The FX is in the running and MB has its work cut out.
post #8839 of 14920
Piob, get this:

post #8840 of 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

I thought so -- the single exhaust is a clear giveaway that it's not an M.

I didn't see anything too special in Tokyo, car-wise, except for one '70s Skyline GTR that I only glimpsed, otherwise a few Astons, tons of AMGs (usually in -65 trim, including the SUV -- an M- or G- class, I forget), tons of ///M cars, too, and a neat little wagon like 150 class. Lots of GT-R's obviously.

The craziest car I saw was this thing:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1207_mitsuoka_viewt_first_look/

It pulled out from a side street in front of me; at first I thought it was a Jag Mk II, but the proportions and lines were crazy wrong, even at a glance. Fortunately I snapped a pic of its tail and nameplate so I could look it up. Weird.


~ H

Yup -- the single exhaust.

I'm always surprised at how many nice cars are around Tokyo. I mean, are there really THAT many affluent people? Or are there tons of people with debt up to their necks? I'm sure there are tons of really wealthy people there, but I still wouldn't expect to see so many really expensive cars. I mean, imports are insanely marked up there, too.
post #8841 of 14920
Paging impolyt_one.
post #8842 of 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1445 View Post


Tesla spotting today at the Wegmans near our new house in downtown Buffalo...? I guess they aren't as expensive or exclusive as I thought previously, not normally a city full of early adopters

In Birmingham:

post #8843 of 14920
I remember back in the days guys with 318is would get M bodykits, aftermarket M wheels and sometimes even used Darth Vader seats and try to pass them off as the real deal. They never fooled anyone
post #8844 of 14920
I think that's why the M division started using different bodies for E46 m3's and up...to stop the bullshit
post #8845 of 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

I think that's why the M division started using different bodies for E46 m3's and up...to stop the bullshit

Heh, when BMW has to take steps against its own consumers....
post #8846 of 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Heh, when BMW has to take steps against its own consumers....

Sadly, BMW became a victim of its own success.
post #8847 of 14920
Piob, interested to see how you find the q7/q5, don't have the moneys or need for anything bigger than the q5 but did like it quite a bit. Also, forgive me for repeating myself if I asked already, have you given the new toureg any thought? Too underpowered? Liked it a lot and its basically in between q5 and q7 size wise
post #8848 of 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1445 View Post

Piob, interested to see how you find the q7/q5, don't have the moneys or need for anything bigger than the q5 but did like it quite a bit. Also, forgive me for repeating myself if I asked already, have you given the new toureg any thought? Too underpowered? Liked it a lot and its basically in between q5 and q7 size wise

We drove the Q5 a couple years ago. It was a bit underpowered but otherwise a fine vehicle. I understand now they have an optional engine which is good. The problem last time was their residuals were atrocious, I think 44%, so the lease payment was outlandishly big.

As to the Toureg neither one of us wants to spend service time at the same place all those idiots with the Bugs and douches with the Jettas get service at.
post #8849 of 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

BMW, MB and Audi are phoning in the use of ///M, AMG and S-Line on their cars. It's pointless. That's what makes it particularly sad when someone puts the ///M trunk logo on a 320i M Sport (my guess based on single exhaust and single pipe, though not familiar with the Japanese market)

Whoever owns that car should've gone full bore delusional and went with the ///M3 instead of the ///M and beat BMW to the punch on the F30.


I don't know if it's really pointless.I mean, if you see a -63 or -65 AMG that is going to be a significant bump in performance from the base model, right? In some cases the -600 may be more powerful, I suppose, but a little softer than the equivalent AMG. Likewise with the ///Ms -- an M3 is a pretty impressive car. A guy I know accidentally saw me out in my little M Coupe and he thought it was an M3, later he showed me the note he wrote to a friend at BMW to ask if my car could beat his supercharged 500HP Shelby Mustang. I was staggered that the M3 actually would.

 

If you mean that the Ms, AMGs, and S-Lines are common, well, they are. I lost count of the number of M3s I saw in DC when I lived there for a summer -- I was over a hundred in the first few weeks. It seems hard to fault them for not meeting demand; I might fault them for releasing a special limited edition just to create a price bubble for not other reason than manufactured rarity.

 

I don't know what the F30 is, as I don't really follow car makers, I usually just buy something I like, which seems rather old folks, but is how I roll.

 

~ H

post #8850 of 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01


Parked in Shinjuku. I was surprised to see it -- a fake M, yes? -- in Tokyo of all places. Or maybe it is some sort of special edition -- everything there seems to be some sort of special edition.

~ H

 

It's an M-sport 320i (look at the plate), completely stock. I think things have gotten so crazy and heretical that they actually stick the ///M badge on those now from the factory. You see the nice/special cars in Tokyo on the weekends when people cruise Ginza, Omotesando, Aoyama, Azabujuban main street, Nishiazabu on Gaien nishi-dori, the main drag of Shinjuku from the east exit up to Shinjuku 3-chome, etc, or valet'ed at hotels. Weekdays are work days and they are pretty regimented over there, so most of the cars you see are company cars out and about.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!