or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 584

post #8746 of 15743
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post



post #8747 of 15743
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Ferrari have designed a sweet looking ride here. But WTF, they named it "LaFerrari"??

950bhp hybrid drivetrain, they're using a derivative of KERS F1 technology. Top speed is in excess of 217mph, production run of 499.




Enzo replacement. It looks great, but for some reason I feel like I've seen it before.
post #8748 of 15743
I'm getting P4/5, Enzo, and hints of F50 in there....
post #8749 of 15743
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

I'm getting P4/5, Enzo, and hints of F50 in there....

and a touch of McLaren F1
post #8750 of 15743
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

and a touch of McLaren F1

That's the first car I thought of....
post #8751 of 15743

 

 

Ford Probe Concept! What, 1982 or something?!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
 

"No no it is not a car it is an automobile.  And would you please pass the Grey Poupon?"

 

 

To most people the terms are synonymous so why even make a big deal about it?

 

To "most people" there are many synonymous things, say, the difference between mass and weight. Yet that difference is a very big deal indeed. There are plebes and pedants, twas ever thus, and somehow out of their interaction the language evolves while getting neither too stupid nor too precise.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post
Huntsman, they look similar enough to the original E24 wheels (which are almost always replaced with aftermarket wheels due to the metric TRX tire problems) that there's no way they could look rice-y. The only way the Style 5's could look better on the E24 is if they had a stepped lip, which they don't. That's splitting hairs though, considering how great they look on 6ers. Others seem to agree, since there are many examples to look at if you google 'E24 style 5'

original M6 TRX (BBS 'RA' style?)
\

BMW Style 5:
 

 

Well, they do to me -- I don't quibble with your citations to source and authenticity, but if, say, ricers adopted something similar in style, that's the association that I have to them. Doesn't make me right!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

I'm getting P4/5, Enzo, and hints of F50 in there....

and a touch of McLaren F1

 

Notes of  Zonda on the midpalate....

post #8752 of 15743
So...991 GT3 photos are out drool.gif
post #8753 of 15743
Indeed:

They went with the PDK, too.
post #8754 of 15743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
To "most people" there are many synonymous things, say, the difference between mass and weight. Yet that difference is a very big deal indeed. There are plebes and pedants, twas ever thus, and somehow out of their interaction the language evolves while getting neither too stupid nor too precise.

 

Okaaaaaaay...All I am saying is if a bunch of guys (multiple persons of the male gender to you) are standing around talking about cars, the last thing anyone even thinks about is ensuring that they are using the most precise language possible.  In grade school that was an invitation to getting your lunch money taken

 

0040.gif

 

In adult life it just makes you look like a douche

post #8755 of 15743
never thought i'd see the day of an automatic gt3, sad day indeed

and absolutely fucking hate door mounted mirrors, hroi keep your shit forever
post #8756 of 15743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
To "most people" there are many synonymous things, say, the difference between mass and weight. Yet that difference is a very big deal indeed. There are plebes and pedants, twas ever thus, and somehow out of their interaction the language evolves while getting neither too stupid nor too precise.

 

Okaaaaaaay...All I am saying is if a bunch of guys (multiple persons of the male gender to you) are standing around talking about cars, the last thing anyone even thinks about is ensuring that they are using the most precise language possible.  In grade school that was an invitation to getting your lunch money taken

 

In adult life it just makes you look like a douche

 

'Rims' is simply slang -- nothing more or less, and it thus carries all the usual slang caveats. And like all slang, it's not accurate. You like this particular piece of slang, I get it. That's fine, as long as the distinctions don't disappear.

 

Your contention that a bunch of guys don't use precise language when they talk about cars is ridiculous -- misstate the type/size  of engine in a car and see how far that gets you. As for doucheyness, I recall pointing out the distinction, but not saying or implying anything negative about anyone who used the term. I don't think you can make the same claim.

 

~ H

post #8757 of 15743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

never thought i'd see the day of an automatic gt3, sad day indeed

and absolutely fucking hate door mounted mirrors, hroi keep your shit forever

True, that. I dream of shifting sometimes -- PDK won't give me that.

post #8758 of 15743

i swear VW released news of that ultra mega high MPG car like five years ago...why whould they bring it to Geneva now?

post #8759 of 15743


I got myself a new used BMW as well. This was owned by retired people with a mecanician son. It has 85k miles/137k km on the odometer and everything is stock except the thing that regulates the amount of gas getting into the engine.

At first I wanted an E34, but I couldn't find one that was flawless and with low mileage, so I will keep looking.

In the meantime, I will have to get new wheels as well and get replacement interior trim so I can paint them or wrap them in vinyl, because those wood trim make me feel like Im driving grandpa's car.
post #8760 of 15743
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuyLe View Post



I got myself a new used BMW as well. This was owned by retired people with a mecanician son. It has 85k miles/137k km on the odometer and everything is stock except the thing that regulates the amount of gas getting into the engine.

At first I wanted an E34, but I couldn't find one that was flawless and with low mileage, so I will keep looking.

In the meantime, I will have to get new wheels as well and get replacement interior trim so I can paint them or wrap them in vinyl, because those wood trim make me feel like Im driving grandpa's car.

The funny thing is that you are driving a grandpa's car; of course that is assuming that the retired couple you purchased this car from did have grandchildren teacha.gif

Enjoy it.

The VW hypermileage car immediately reminded of the police car from Demolition Man, though they barely look alike.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!