or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 554

post #8296 of 14637
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

F10 M5 crashes on the autobahn while at the top speed of 186 MPH. Driver (60), passenger (20), and dog all survived and have serious injuries. The driver swerved to avoid a car that tried to merge into the left lane and lost control of the car.. amazing that they all survived. Truly amazing. The other car that merged into the lane fled the scene. What a fucktastic douchebag. Imagine causing a wreck like that and seeing 2 tons of steel flip all over the place in your rearview mirror. You're just going to drive away? Fucking asshole.

I've always felt nervous while watching POV videos of people speeding on the autobahn because you see them breeze by the cars in the other lanes ridiculously quickly and it just takes one fucktard trying to change lanes to wreak havoc.

On the flip side, should you really be driving as fast as possible, just because you can? If I got the chance to drive on the autobahn, I definitely would -- at least once. But at what point is it just reckless and stupid to drive so fast like the driver in this accident?

Scary, scary shit.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
attachment.php?attachmentid=678069&d=1334847311
attachment.php?attachmentid=678072&d=1334847311
attachment.php?attachmentid=678073&d=1334847311

Quite an advertisement for BMW - it's incredible that they survived. However, I would argue that the 'fucktard' was the person doing 186mph in a street legal car, even if it was the autobahn. There's once place that kind of speed is practical - on a designated racetrack with a professional driver behind the wheel of a race car.
post #8297 of 14637
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

Would rather have a Quattroporte over an M5 any day.

I would rather have many things over an M5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Quite an advertisement for BMW - it's incredible that they survived. However, I would argue that the 'fucktard' was the person doing 186mph in a street legal car, even if it was the autobahn. There's once place that kind of speed is practical - on a designated racetrack with a professional driver behind the wheel of a race car.

Totally agree that the fucktard was the one doing 186. Even on the autobahn I think it's reasonable to assume that no one is doing 186 mph when you're changing lanes.
post #8298 of 14637
Dražen Petrović died on the autobahn... he was 28 years old.
Quote:
Petrović decided to skip the connection flight back to Zagreb and drive with his girlfriend back to Croatia.
Petrović died in a traffic accident at approximately 17:20 on June 7, 1993, four and a half months before his 29th birthday. On the rain-drenched Autobahn 9, he was a passenger in a car that was cut off by a semi truck at Denkendorf, near Ingolstadt, in the German state of Bavaria.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBAFsfMEnYg
post #8299 of 14637
They were driving a Golf 2 and he wasn't buckled. Still sad.

Sure. I always think that when you're pretty much alone on the road, 200-220kmh (125-140) is sufficient for getting to places quicker without increasing too much the risks over driving at 140-160. When there's a bit of traffic, driving over 170 will become really inefficient because you have to slow down sometimes and it uses a lot of fuel to go back to higher speeds.

Autobahns are free which means they sometimes are in a bad shape and construction work can last a looooooong time. Driving at 200 on slightly bumpy roads when it rains is a bit stupid.
post #8300 of 14637
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuyLe View Post

Sure. I always think that when you're pretty much alone on the road, 200-220kmh (125-140) is sufficient for getting to places quicker without increasing too much the risks over driving at 140-160. When there's a bit of traffic, driving over 170 will become really inefficient because you have to slow down sometimes and it uses a lot of fuel to go back to higher speeds.

Autobahns are free which means they sometimes are in a bad shape and construction work can last a looooooong time. Driving at 200 on slightly bumpy roads when it rains is a bit stupid.

Driving at these speeds and concerns about fuel efficiency are pretty much diametrically opposed.
post #8301 of 14637
In a prius yes. In a BMW with a 3L inline six, not completly. Those cars were purposedly built to cruise at 160 on the Autobahn. When you drive faster, you sacrifice a bit of fuel efficiency for some minutes gained on your final destination and a bit of thrill.

To be fuel efficient, drive a Diesel Passat at 120kmh. Nothing wrong against that. I guess you weren't advocating slow efficient cars driving slow anyway, I see your point.
post #8302 of 14637
haven't seen a ton of these around.

post #8303 of 14637
When I was at university there was one that was always parked down the shittiest drug-addled and hooker-ridden streets in the city. Never had a scratch, or anything parked close. No prizes for guessing why.
post #8304 of 14637
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuyLe View Post

In a prius yes. In a BMW with a 3L inline six, not completly. Those cars were purposedly built to cruise at 160 on the Autobahn. When you drive faster, you sacrifice a bit of fuel efficiency for some minutes gained on your final destination and a bit of thrill.

To be fuel efficient, drive a Diesel Passat at 120kmh. Nothing wrong against that. I guess you weren't advocating slow efficient cars driving slow anyway, I see your point.

One last shot at this...I would think most people that own cars capable of these speeds are of the economic means and/or mindset that fuel efficiency is an exceedingly low priority in both terms of car choice and speed at which said car gets driven over 160mph. I would also think the "thrill" derived from driving 160mph on a public road has an exceedingly small marginal increase by doing 170. That's just a guess as I never plan to do 170 on a public road as I like my body configured as it currently is. wink.gif
post #8305 of 14637
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

Would rather have a Quattroporte over an M5 any day.

Saw a nice GT-S for sale the other day, at a good price.

http://bytbil.com/bilar/maserati/quattroporte/wvtf6zrg/A0ABUDIAAY1JeqgAAA__!

69k$ 54k km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

When I was at university there was one that was always parked down the shittiest drug-addled and hooker-ridden streets in the city. Never had a scratch, or anything parked close. No prizes for guessing why.

My experience is that you often leave really nice cars in neighborhoods like that and no one will touch them.
post #8306 of 14637
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Quite an advertisement for BMW -

I'd say this thread is too. 100+ car brands out there and its every 3rd post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

Dražen Petrović died on the autobahn... he was 28 years old.

Guy was a great baller. That 30 for 30 was really good. Always loved Vlade, a passing center is great to watch.
post #8307 of 14637
I don't care what kind of car you're driving, @ 160mph MPG is severely, severely compromised. Even for a highly geared car like an autobahn bomber in 6th (or 7th), since wind resistance increases more than linearly at higher speeds, the resistance becomes a huge issue.

Proof from Auto Bild, a German auto publication:

Edit: image paste didn't work, here's a link

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/fuel_consumptio.html

A BMW diesel drops from about 35mpg to about 12mpg, between 50 and 155mph.
post #8308 of 14637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

I don't care what kind of car you're driving, @ 160mph MPG is severely, severely compromised. Even for a highly geared car like an autobahn bomber in 6th (or 7th), since wind resistance increases more than linearly at higher speeds, the resistance becomes a huge issue.

Proof from Auto Bild, a German auto publication:

Edit: image paste didn't work, here's a link

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/fuel_consumptio.html

A BMW diesel drops from about 35mpg to about 12mpg, between 50 and 155mph.

Thanks for the info. I always wondered what kind of drop you'd get across a speed range.
post #8309 of 14637
I was talking about kilometer per hour with mph in parenthesis btw. Sorry if I made myself unclear.
post #8310 of 14637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

I don't care what kind of car you're driving, @ 160mph MPG is severely, severely compromised. Even for a highly geared car like an autobahn bomber in 6th (or 7th), since wind resistance increases more than linearly at higher speeds, the resistance becomes a huge issue.

Proof from Auto Bild, a German auto publication:

Edit: image paste didn't work, here's a link

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/fuel_consumptio.html

A BMW diesel drops from about 35mpg to about 12mpg, between 50 and 155mph.

At 50 MPH a car might require 20 horsepower to operate, but 100 MPH might require 120 HP, its not a linear scale and fuel consumption follows that that curve. Gearing manages to reduce the engine speed at higher MPH but it eventually hits a wall with wind resistance and then MPG drops thru the floor.

I remember reading somewhere that 50 MPH is the most efficient speed to dive for most cars.

Interesting, the Bugatti Veyron is rated at 15 MPG highway, but gets 2 MPG at its top speed. It would empty an entire fuel tank in 12 minutes, you'd get 50 miles down the road.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!